• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Red Sofa Literary Agency (Dawn Frederick)

jamiehall

Bereaved Snarkling
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamiehall.org

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
It certainly could be. By distancing herself from paid services, it infers she wants to remain an agent, not become a "consultant". But the proof of the pudding will be in the sales reports.

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
She is listed as an AAR member at Red Sofa. Wouldn't that make her OK? Does anyone have any experience with Red Sofa?

nicolesingslave

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
Website
nicolesingslave.buzznet.com
http://www.anotherealm.com/prededitors/peald.htm
$ AAR

This is from her website ..
"PLEASE NO FICTION or SPIRITUAL/RELIGIOUS QUERIES. I may consider .01% of some fiction/novels through professional reference, with the understanding that 99.9% of my representative list is always nonfiction. In addition, I do not represent spiritual or religious books, to which there are agents who specialize in these categories. "

Last edited:

wyntermoon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
threeseasagency.com
I've been with Dawn for nearly a year and couldn't be happier. Personable, professional and she's a tiger when it comes to her writers. :D

KeatsLove

Registered
Reaction score
According to her WEbook profile, she accepts YA...but that's not listed anywhere else (Red Sofa website, QT, AQ, PM). Is this a secret for us YA fiction writers who stumble over to WEbook just in case agents don't update their QT or AQ profiles?

From WEbook:

Specialty:
Fiction: Graphic Novel, Young Adult/Juvenile
Non-Fiction: Art, Architechture & Photography, Biography, Cooking, Food & Wine, Diet & Health, Entertainment, History, Home & Garden, Humor, Outdoors & Nature, Politics & Current Affairs, Reference

My stats (YA fiction):

EQ: 12/18/2010
partial request: 12/26/2010
full request: 1/8/2011

Dawn has sent super sweet emails letting me know she hasn't forgotten me and that she's been buried in work and even named the date that I'll hear back from her by. If she's already made 3 sales in 2011, I can see why she's been buried in work. The personal touches are nice when, so often, you send off something and then it's a surprise when you hear from them again.

KeatsLove

Registered
Reaction score
Congrats, Wyntermoon, you must be thrilled!

Listing YA fiction on her Red Sofa page must be recent. It wasn't there a week or so ago. She's considering my full so I'm wondering how many fiction contacts she has since she seems to focus mostly (Very, very well) on non fiction.

KeatsLove

Registered
Reaction score
Got a revise/resubmit today from Dawn re: my fiction manuscript. I'm going to think about it for awhile before attempting to tackle anything. I still have 9 fulls out and have already done a revision for another agent. Not that I'm against more revisions, but may just let it percolate in my head for a bit and see if any of the other agents come back with offers or not. I appreciate that she liked it enough to give me the opportunity to resubmit which is rare for her.

honeysock

Tell me to leave. Please.
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, those R & Rs are tough. Essentially, you're doing art on commission . . . without a deposit. If you have NINE fulls out, you should definitely let your ms. percolate.

Last edited:

KeatsLove

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, those R & Rs are tough. Essentially, you're doing art on commission . . . without a deposit. If you have NINE fulls out, you should definitely let your ms. percolate.

Thanks, honeysock. I think I will wait. On the last R/R (same manuscript, different agent -- still waiting to hear back on that one), I took two months to just sit and think and then another month to write. I'm in no rush. Especially with so much material still out.

Krista G.

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
Jennie Goloboy is now an associate editor at Red Sofa, looking for various things including...drum roll, please...science fiction and fantasy.

Thanks for the tip, Filigree!

tanstaafl8

Registered
Reaction score
Submitted to Jennie yesterday and got a partial request for my YA sci-fi. Will keep you all posted...

Upgraded to full!

Last edited:

DeadlyAccurate

Absolutely Fazed
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.carlaharker.com
Since Dawn Frederick doesn't have a lot of listed fiction sales, does anyone know what sort of experience/contacts Jennie Goloboy has that would help her make good SF/fantasy sales?

Snappy

A new year, a new avatar
Registered
Reaction score
Not sure. But, I did receive a request from Ms. Goloboy today. :)