• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Red Sofa Literary Agency (Dawn Frederick)

Shoeless

Registered
Reaction score
Gah! The Call has happened! Offer made, now it's time to take all the advice and do due diligence with outstanding full requests. I'm going to run circles in my backyard now screaming "Whoopwhoopwhoopwhoop" repeatedly. Thanks for all the input, guys!

Last edited:

Cannelle

Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations!!!! Always so wonderful to see this happen here!

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats, Shoeless!

I will be joining Filigree with a full request from Amanda Rutter :) I queried on the 4th, so a pretty fast turnaround.

Shoeless

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks and congratulations to you too, Sage. This is turning into a big Red Sofa Client/Sibling Love-In...

eqb

I write novels
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.claireodell.com
Just as a data point, I got my offer for representation just a week after Amanda requested my full. (That was January of last year, so I don't know if her response times have changed in any way.)

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
That's great to hear! I queried 26 agents this round. 4 have sent rejections, form or slightly personalized. There are two other partial requests out, too. Any one of these amazing folks would be a joy to work with, or I wouldn't have queried them. That said, an agent who responds more quickly gets more weight in the process than one who holds my full or partial for ten months. Which has happened before. I don't worry about query responses, since I have a cut-off date of five months on queries.

And I'm still doing parallel planning for self-pub, just in case.

CameronJohnston

Great Old One
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cameronjohnston.net
I suspect Amanda's replies to full requests and such won't be as quick as they were last year, what with all the excellent hard work she's been doing on editing manuscripts and sending out submission packs *minecoughcough*

eqb

I write novels
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.claireodell.com
I suspect Amanda's replies to full requests and such won't be as quick as they were last year, what with all the excellent hard work she's been doing on editing manuscripts and sending out submission packs *minecoughcough*

True. When I signed with her last year in January, she had only two other clients. She's signed several more over the past year. *waves to Cameron*

Last edited:

Dmbeucler

Registered
Reaction score
Website
dmbeucler.blogspot.com
Yeah, I'm not stressing over the timeline right now at all. I'm still pretty early in my querying process. Good luck on submission (and Shoeless with your offer and Filigree with your full).

eqb

I write novels
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.claireodell.com
FYI, to anyone waiting for a reply from Amanda. Amanda sent out a mass email to her clients on July 17th, apologizing for dropping into a black hole, and promising to contact everyone Real Soon Now.

In related news, I've since parted ways with the agency. If anyone wants or needs to talk with me about my reasons, just contact me by PM.

Last edited:

wyntermoon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
threeseasagency.com
I'm sorry you decided to leave RSL, we enjoyed having you as part of the family. Unfortunately, life happens and Amanda is working twice as hard for her clients to make sure all bases were covered during her brief absence.

If anyone has questions regarding Red Sofa and our authors, I'm happy to answer as both a client and now an agent with RSL. :)

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
Stacey, can you confirm if Amanda is receiving / answering emails? I sent her a nudge back on August 20 regarding an offer of publication, and that time frame closes at the end of this week.

ETA: reached Jennie Goloboy, so I'll see what happens next.

ETA2: reached Amanda.

Last edited:

melgough

Registered
Reaction score
I'm a bit confused as to what they actually want in a first email. Cover letter only, or cover letter and first fifty pages? I've read the website and Guide to Literary Agents and am still unsure. Any help much appreciated!

CameronJohnston

Great Old One
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cameronjohnston.net
Hi, melgough - They only want a query letter in the first instance. If it's a genre and premise they might be interested in just now they will come back and ask for a Partial or Full manuscript. Source: me, a client.