• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Fogelman Literary Agency (Evan Fogelman)

Kree Atv Khurz

Registered
Reaction score
Fogelman, Dallas, has requested first 3 chapters and synopsis of my free-wheeling 5-year memoir, done finally. He is very professional, AAR member, prominent in the legal profession, and straightforward. But I have so little experience working with agents that his request for a 12-page synopsis of a 292-page manuscript (1p. per 10,000 words, a 1/25th condensation that will be quite a chore) gives me pause to seek your feedback. I know; it would be good for me to do that exercise in discipline, but well..., are such synopses common? I'm also puzzled that all of his published authors, featured anyway, are women writers of romance and espionage/sinister conspiracy thrillers with women heroes, so far as I can tell. They do sell. To his credit, though, Fogelman says he aspires to broader representation (diversity, as it were). Am I getting Polaroid or what! Any good or bad experiences to share with me here or private e-mail?
Thanks, :guns: Kree the Barbarian

DaveKuzminski

Preditors & Editors
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anotherealm.com
Agents I've dealt with before wanted a synopsis that was no more than five pages in length, usually less such as two.

sgtsdaughter

Nearing the end of an era
Registered
Reaction score
stuck between Wonder Woman and Lady Columbia
the synopsis length does seem rather needless . . . I've never had one near that. A quick and easy way to check his authors is to go on Amazon.com (or another book seller's site) and see their sales ranking.

Hope that helps.

Kree Atv Khurz

Registered
Reaction score
Very helpful

Thanks Dave (I always check your P&E, even use your name and recommendation as an intro to agents) for your help. Fogelman asked for the synopsis as "1p. per 10,000 words" and my ms supposedly has 119,600. I almost e-mailed back to ask if that was one page or one paragraph; but the dictionary does say p. means page, and I didn't want to appear "unprofessional!"

Thanks sgtsdaughter for your take and excellent suggestion about checking sales ranking of the authors. I'll do that.

Unless I hear worse, I will go ahead with the submission as he requests. Though I have maybe 75 rejections, I do improve, especially in seeing clearer concept in my ms and making changes that strengthen it.

I made a mistake, by the way, in my current ms page count (12pt, double spaced). It's 392 pp., not 292.

Kree

dragonjax

I write stuff and break boards.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jackiekessler.com
Is it possible he's referring to a detailed synopsis? Those can range 10 - 20 pages. So far, I've had a publisher request a detailed synopsis, which wound up being 14 pages. (By the way, this was for a 106,000-word novel--about 380 pages.) Twelve pages does seem a tad random, but I wouldn't sweat it. If you like this agent, based on reputation and sales history, then I'd do the detailed synopsis and send it. Good luck!

Kree Atv Khurz

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks All

Your advice and thoughts are all well taken. Now, if I can just do a good job on the synopsis... I woke up today at 4:30 thinking about that and didn't go back to sleep. I've found that deeply rehashing very stressful times, such as in identifying highpoints for a synopsis, is like a bad dream, brings sleepness and old post traumatic stress syndrome back; and I wasn't even in any usual combat! Sounds like Steven King, doesn't it: the writer who goes on a......
Thanks again, Kree Tacious Barbarian

darkmagic

Registered
Reaction score
Evan M. Fogelman

Good morning everyone. Can anyone tell me anything about Evan M. Fogelman? He works for Underwood, Perkins & Ralston P. C. out of Dallas, Texas.

JerseyGirl1962

I heart Malamutes! :-)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Looks to be an entertainment lawyer (although he throws in the bit about being an agent, too, among other things):

http://www.suplaw.com/efogelman.htm

Looked kind of confusing, but that's probably me. :D

Dave K. still has him at his own agency, The Fogelman Literary Agency. No dollar signs or anything at all next to his name.

~Nancy

Sassenach

5 W's & an H
Registered
Reaction score
He's an attorney and a well-established agent, with a lots of romance writer clients.

CaitlinK18

"Sephiroth is my bishie!"
Registered
Reaction score
Evan's cool. I met him at a conference and he's a very aggressive, suffer-no-fools-take-no-prisoners kind of guy. Which is a good thing. He also complimented the embroidered jeans I was wearing at the time, showing excellent taste in fashion as a bonus. ;)

Irysangel

She of Many Names
Registered
Reaction score
A writer that used to frequent a board I went to was offered representation by Fogelman for a fantasy novel she'd written -- she was very excited, because she loves Evan. AFAIK, I haven't heard about any sales, but I do know she's turned in more than one project to him (he reps on a project by project basis, I believe).

Petsey

Registered
Reaction score
Can he still find time to agent?

I found this newest info on Evan F. verified on P&E he is now also working as a lawyer again in property rights for a lawfirm in Texas. So how does he have time to agent?

from lawfirm site:
FOGELMAN, EVAN M.

Email: [email protected] Areas of Practice: Intellectual Property, Media and Entertainment; Oil, Gas and Natural Resources; Executive Compensation

and from literary agents news:
Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Evan M. Fogelman Profile

Evan M. Fogelman has been working as a literary agent and an intellectual property lawyer for 20 years.
Fogelman enjoys representing a wide range of non-fiction and fiction.
Authors may query him at this address:

Evan M. Fogelman
Underwood, Perkins and Ralston P.C. (Law Firm)
5420 LBJ Freeway, Suite 1900
Dallas, Texas 75240

Irysangel

She of Many Names
Registered
Reaction score
I have not heard of any sales from Mr. Fogelman for a while now. Also, I believe his agent site is down.

karo.ambrose

._.
Registered
Reaction score
I believe it means he's no longer in the agenting biz.