• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Jan Dennis Literary Services (formerly Jan P. Dennis Lit. Agency)

Karen Duvall

Chalice the Hatchet Knight
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.karenduvall.blogspot.com
I was curious if any of you ever queried literary agent Jan Dennis of Dennis Literary? He represents Ted Dekker and specializes in Christian Speculative fiction. He started out in publishing, but has been agenting for quite some time. I've managed to find a couple of interviews with him, but that's pretty much it so far. I'd like to query him on my urban fantasy (which has religious themes), but I'd like to learn some more about him first. Have any of you ever worked with Jan? What do you know?

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
Since this is a question about a specific agent, rather than a general question, I've moved it to Bewares & Background Check.

A quick Google turns up almost no information other than a few online listings. Also--Christian speculative fiction is a very different market from speculative fiction in general, so if your manuscript doesn't have a specifically Christian orientation, this might not be a good match.

- Victoria

Karen Duvall

Chalice the Hatchet Knight
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.karenduvall.blogspot.com
Thanks, Victoria, for moving this to the right thread. Sheesh, you'd think I'd have the hang of this by now.

I just thought since one of his biggest clients is Ted Dekker, he was legit. His present (and probably some past) clients include: Ted Dekker, Robert Liparulo, Eric Wilson, T. L. Hines (though I've fairly certain Tony is now with Alive Communications), Donita Paul, and James Beauseigner. His interview is here.

rwam

Registered
Reaction score
I think I heard that awhile back, Jan had to temporarily slow things down due to some health problems. He's totally legit, though, and you'd be doing well to get him as an agent.

DerekJager

Registered
Reaction score
Months ago, I e-mailed my query to Jan.

In return, he asked for some sample chapters.

And then silence.

After a month, I sent two "pleasant" e-mails from me -- "Just wanted to confirm you received the chapters you requested" -- with his original e-mail attached.

Never heard anything from him.

Personally, I find that rude but it's sort of like dating I guess and he "just wasn't that into me."

Leigh86

Registered
Reaction score
I was asked to send him some sample chapters on Nov. 20. I sent them right away and haven't heard anything since. Should I email him again?

Red.Ink.Rain

Not your kid brother's YA
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kristin-briana.livejournal.com
No problem at all. I'll cross my fingers for both of us. :D Jan Dennis reps some of my all-time favorite authors - Stephen Lawhead, Ted Dekker the King of Scary-Awesome Suspense. It would be, like, a fairytale-happy-ending to be represented by him.

Leigh86

Registered
Reaction score
I sent him a follow-up email yesterday. I really hope I hear back from him because I'd love for my Christian Thriller to be represented by him. red.ink-I'm with you. I love Ted Dekker too!

Chanelley

Registered
Reaction score
Did you hear anything back, Red Ink?

Chanelley

Registered
Reaction score
I'm going through the same thing with another agency. I know exactly how it feels.

Leigh86

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I sent him a follow up email Jan. 23 and haven't heard anything back yet either. :(

doctri

Registered
Reaction score
I queried Mr. Dennis On 12/10/08. He got back to me within three hours and asked for a partial. I sent it immediately. Since then...silence.

On February 10, I sent him a pleasant email requesting an update

Silence.

I sent another email today. This seems to be a pattern with him.