Status
Not open for further replies.

Tburger

Wahoowa
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tcmccarthy.com
I had the fortune of attending a boarding school in the NE when I was younger, and at my graduation George Plimpton spoke. Afterward I approached him - terrified - and stuck out my hand. I told him that I really loved his work and also wanted to be a writer, could he give me any advice? His response almost killed me. "My advice is don't. There are far too many of us out there already and you should become a businessman or lawyer."

Ouch. I gave up writing for a long time; I certainly didn't have a thick skin at eighteen.

Today I would thank him. I eventually returned to writing after establishing myself in an entirely different field and soon realized something: I gained experience in a lot of different ways - ways that I never would have accomplished if I focused solely on writing. If a highschool kid were to ask me if I had any advice, I would alter Plimptons: do something else, but keep writing.

Rejection sucks; I keep checking my inbox and I shouldn't. But to hell with people like Plimpton, I love my story and maybe someday someone else will!!!!

michelle25

Registered
Reaction score
I think often writers have to gain experience in other things out of necessity to support themselves. Maybe there are some who start off focusing solely on writing and are successful at it – both in terms of supporting themselves and in generating great ideas. But that wasn’t me. Whatever I did (and do) to support myself has always been with the intention that I will write something that I can eventually try to sell. And that something may just have been born of what I learned along the way doing other things. Good luck to you and thanks for sharing.

Tia Nevitt

Anywhere but here, anywhen but now
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tianevitt.com
In a guest post on my blog, Mark J. Ferrari, the fantasy artist and the author of The Book of Joby, gave the exact opposite advice. I think he had some great points, too.

Here it is.

tia

Mr Sci Fi

Street Samurai
Registered
Reaction score
There may be far too many writers out there, but how many are talented, successful writers? It doesn't matter HOW many there are, because in the end what matters most is how good YOU are. Talent will give you a big advantage over everyone else. Like the old adage goes, "The harder I work, the luckier I get."

It seems to me like "Mr. Plimpton" was either disgruntled, or trying to thin the herd.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.