• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Tate Publishing

ResearchGuy

Resident Curmudgeon
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.umbachconsulting.com
. . . So there you have it--the fee, in highly coded language that might not just be missed by eager authors. . .
In contrast, from AuthorityPublishing.com (not on the home page, but plainly stated on a second page):

Pricing

Our publishing packages start at $6,000 and include editing, interior design, cover design, and major distribution to Amazon, BarnesandNoble.com and other outlets.

No deception there. (And a thousand dollars more than it was last year -- must be in demand.) One can debate the merits, but they are not trying to fool anyone. (Yes, one can argue the definition of "distribution." That is another question entirely.)

--Ken

ctripp

Christine Tripp
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christinetripp.com
Ken, I so totally agree! Whether any companies work is worth it to you or not, at least if the state there is a fee (and better yet, what that fee is) then it is now up to the customer to do the research on the business and if the product they are paying for will be worth it to them. Many experts will say "duct cleaning" is a waste of money, the dirt is stuck to the sides of the ducts, it's not going into the air passing through, yet to scrape it and bang it around via "cleaning", then it does become an issue. Best to leave it be. Still, that info would be up to the client to research, at least they already know, there will be a charge.
As for Tate, it boggles the mind that in one breath they can say they often pay advances, yet then charge. So, you get a check of some sort and turn it back in to Tate plus?
Amazing:)

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com
The fee, IMHO, is not out of line as long as the author understands that this is bought-and-paid-for transaction. Deception is troubling, not mutually agreeable, mutually understood commercial transactions.

Oh, I agree. There's no shame in being a vanity press, though there is in charging money and then claiming otherwise.

jdmccay

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, I agree. There's no shame in being a vanity press, though there is in charging money and then claiming otherwise.

I agree as well.

My WIP was accepted by Tate, I got the "contract", and there was the 4,000 in fees for publicity in it. I really wonder what they would say if I told them I don't have 4,000 dollars?

Sunnie Atkins

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tatepublishing.com
Mac,

You can contact your Acquisitions Representative at 405-376-4900 regarding the publicity fee. As you read in the contract you are more than welcome to provide your own professional publicist. Thank you.

Sunnie Atkins

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tatepublishing.com
Ken, I so totally agree! Whether any companies work is worth it to you or not, at least if the state there is a fee (and better yet, what that fee is) then it is now up to the customer to do the research on the business and if the product they are paying for will be worth it to them. Many experts will say "duct cleaning" is a waste of money, the dirt is stuck to the sides of the ducts, it's not going into the air passing through, yet to scrape it and bang it around via "cleaning", then it does become an issue. Best to leave it be. Still, that info would be up to the client to research, at least they already know, there will be a charge.
As for Tate, it boggles the mind that in one breath they can say they often pay advances, yet then charge. So, you get a check of some sort and turn it back in to Tate plus?
Amazing:)

Good evening Christine,

We are happy to answer any questions you have. You may call us at 405-376-4900. Thank you.

Deleted member 42

Good evening Christine,

We are happy to answer any questions you have. You may call us at 405-376-4900. Thank you.

Sunnie, if you're not actually going to openly answer questions, why do you and the numerous other Tate employees bother posting?

LMILLER111

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
I wouldn't touch this publisher with a ten foot pole.

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
Medievalist:
why do you and the numerous other Tate employees bother posting?

So they can get their toll free number out and tell anyone who bothers to call that they've offered to speak one to one but none of those big bad internet meanies has bothered to take them up on it and doesn't that say more about them than it does about lovely, squishie Tate who only wants to support its authors with the assistance of 4 grand of the author's own money.

Sunnie and Stacie and people like them have been pulling this crap on Tate's behalf for years now.

MM

brianm

Brian Boru
Registered
Reaction score
The desert of S. California and the coast of N. Ir
So they can get their toll free number out and tell anyone who bothers to call that they've offered to speak one to one but none of those big bad internet meanies has bothered to take them up on it and doesn't that say more about them than it does about lovely, squishie Tate who only wants to support its authors with the assistance of 4 grand of the author's own money.

Sunnie and Stacie and people like them have been pulling this crap on Tate's behalf for years now.

MM

As I recall, Victoria has called the number and Tate offered to pay her expenses to come to OK and chat about the company. I believe she declined because she wanted everything in writing and they weren't willing to do that.

~brianm~

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Ages ago I asked questions on a couple of Tate's blogs, as they were refusing to answer things directly here. My comments were never approved, and my questions were never addressed.

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
As I recall, Victoria has called the number and Tate offered to pay her expenses to come to OK and chat about the company. I believe she declined because she wanted everything in writing and they weren't willing to do that.

We (Ann and I) declined because Writer Beware doesn't accept gifts or donations from publishers, in order to avoid any possible appearance of conflict of interest.

- Victoria

Deleted member 42

Ages ago I asked questions on a couple of Tate's blogs, as they were refusing to answer things directly here. My comments were never approved, and my questions were never addressed.

Just trying to find one of their books is an interesting way to waste a considerable amount of time.

No books in my state's public library system.

One book in WorldCat--in a New York state storage facility.

No books in any of the university library systems I'm a member of, in the UK, Canada, or the U.S. (That's 15 different university systems!).

Trying to use Voyager to purchase a book brings up the Vanity Publisher warning flag, and the Publisher Information field says that they have no LOC cataloging data, and are not carried by the major distributors for library purchase.

Ink-Stained Wretch

Registered
Reaction score
If Hell exists I will likely be sent there for offering a scam artist advice on how to properly snowjob her intended marks, but -- Sunnie Atkins, if you have even the slightest insight into human nature, you must have figured out that "not posting on this thread at all" is a much better option than "posting to repeatedly ignore simple questions in lieu of pasting the same 'call this long-distance number at your expense and all shall be revealed'" comment over and over and over again.

To paraphrase Abe Lincoln: Better to keep silent and be thought a con artist than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

brianm

Brian Boru
Registered
Reaction score
The desert of S. California and the coast of N. Ir
If Hell exists I will likely be sent there for offering a scam artist advice on how to properly snowjob her intended marks, but -- Sunnie Atkins, if you have even the slightest insight into human nature, you must have figured out that "not posting on this thread at all" is a much better option than "posting to repeatedly ignore simple questions in lieu of pasting the same 'call this long-distance number at your expense and all shall be revealed'" comment over and over and over again.

To paraphrase Abe Lincoln: Better to keep silent and be thought a con artist than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

It seems someone from Tate reopens this thread about once a year and I expect it's because it generates calls to their 800 number, which enables them to snag more customers.

Perhaps ardent supporter and Tate author Leon M. will wander in and gift Tate with another bogus publisher of the year award. Seriously pathetic and another example of how Tate misleads writers.

~brianm~

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I gave my teen nephew a stern warning about PublishAmerica, only to learn today he's "been picked up" by Tate. I've not paid much attention to this thread until now, but I will from this point on. I told him to read any contract carefully and know what it means before he signs, if he hasn't already.

Last edited:

ResearchGuy

Resident Curmudgeon
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.umbachconsulting.com
Second try . . .

Just showed up in my email in-box, an invitation from a factotum at Tate Publishing to call Dr. Richard Tate with any questions I might have about Tate Publishing.

My response:
Thank you, and Dr. Tate, for that very kind offer.

Likewise, I invite Dr. Tate to call me with any questions he might have about Umbach Consulting and Publishing, at 916-733-2159, or to visit www.umbachconsulting.com.

Regards,

Dr. Ken Umbach

Sheesh.

--Ken

P.S. If I had a question, it might be, "How do you live with yourself?"

Last edited:

Deleted member 42

Sunnie appears to be working her way through the thread and contacting the posters. It's an interesting approach--stealth PR? Unfortunately, it's an approach favored by spammers, and not really professional or appropriate.

Given the numbers of Tate employees who have posted, their learning curve is less then impressive.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I just received an email from Sunnie, which came via my website contact form:

To: Webmistress

Sunnie Atkins
[email protected]

Dr. Richard Tate has asked that you call him with any questions you
might have about Tate Publishing & Enterprises at 888-361-9473.

Thank you.

I've pointed out that the cost of phoning would be prohibitive for me as I live in the UK, and suggested that if Dr Tate wants to contact me he can do so here or via my website.

Although it would have been nice if he'd have approved my comments on his blog, and at least attempted to answer some of my questions.

ResearchGuy

Resident Curmudgeon
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.umbachconsulting.com
Sunnie appears to be working her way through the thread and contacting the posters. . . .
Ok, so it was not coincidence. But it was bizarre.

I rather enjoyed turning the tables with my invitation in response. I chose not to point out my booklet that mentions Tatelike entities without mentioning that company specifically. Probably should have. pointed it out.

--Ken

ResearchGuy

Resident Curmudgeon
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.umbachconsulting.com
I gave my teen nephew a stern warning about PublishAmerica, only to learn today he's "been picked up" by Tate. I've not paid much attention to this thread until now, but I will from this point on. I told him to read any contract carefully and know what it means before he signs, if he hasn't already.
Please have him read the booklet linked in my sig. block. Free version is my latest revision, as always no gimmicks and not a sales pitch.

--Ken

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Please have him read the booklet linked in my sig. block. Free version is my latest revision, as always no gimmicks and not a sales pitch.

--Ken

His mother just called me. I recommended they speak with an attorney (Tate had advised them the same) and I made a point they speak with one experienced with book contracts, not just intellectual property. It seems Tate was upfront about the $4000 publicity fee, and perhaps other fees because she said "that was the expensive part." I described what I understood about subsidy publishers and what they could expect. I already have your pdf (I think it's yours, I'll have to check) on my computer, so I'll forward it on!

It seems he'd also had a partial request from an agent, and I said if it were me I would see what panned out with the agent first. He's a member here but has never posted.

ETA: Nope, the one I had wasn't yours. I have it now though! Thanks!