Anyone else have trouble staying in genre?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stlight

ideas are floating where they will
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
where you can put sugar sprinkles on lots of thing
When I intended to write an aventure story it turned into a love story.
When I intended to write a romance it was so flat N&D couldn't finish reading it - and this is a person who read all of Faulkner, a bunch of philosophy and dozens of tech mannuals.

Does this happen to anyone else? Is my writing controled by my shadow self rather than my conscious mind? Jung did say the creativity, as well as other things came from the shadow part of our minds. (this is the part that if you see its reflection in anothe person you don't like them and what does that say about creativity?)

Maybe what I'm really saying is AUWK - AUWK!

or sigh.

Stlight

mscelina

Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fu
Happens to me all the time. I make a hobby of genre twisting and love doing it. So, even when I sit down to write a frivolous fantasy story, I end up with a paranormal-fantasy-romance-G/L/B/T-horror adventure.

And my muse is happy. :)

Don't worry about it. Write the story as it comes out. You can worry about the genres later.

Inky

Eat, Sleep, Write...
Registered
Reaction score
I sat down to write paranormal romance, tired of stories that were predictable.
Instead, I ended up with epic fantasy...which turned into dark fantasy...romance was still there--at least I got THAT part right.

Don't fret. Look at it as your subconscious taking over and forcing you to write what you're REALLY good at--listen to the voice within.

Zelenka

Going home!
Registered
Reaction score
I bounced around all sorts of genres before settling on the first one I'd tried in the end. Now a lot of the other genre ideas give me things to work into my fantasy stories; 'Villain in the Dust' actually started out as an idea for a political thriller, James Patterson style, but it was just not working. Then later on I had the idea to just try it as a fantasy and see what happened. It worked. More and more ideas started to migrate towards fantasy so that now I figure that's my genre and that's where I'm most comfortable.

So don't worry. Could be your natural instincts are leading you towards your 'place'. :D

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I thought Office Party was for non-writing stuff.

Shouldn't this be in the Roundtable thread?

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You're welcome.

I've got your back, Silver King.

ishtar'sgate

living in the past
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.linneaheinrichs.com
I don't PLAN to write in a specific genre. If my idea happens to fit into a particular genre niche that's great but I know my wretched characters are going to do as they please anyway and I love to let them have their head.
Linnea

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
Actually it's Nyarlathotep who controls the creative genius, and He ate Jung (with a side of fries) long ago. ;)

My WIP will be dark urban fantasy or horror or superscience fiction, depending on the agent of the moment.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.