• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Obey Enterprises (Anthony Obey) / GMA Publishing (Glen Mollette)

reunited

Does anyone know anything about GMA Publishing or Glenn Mollette? I have a manuscript in his hands and he gave me an offer but I'd like to know if he is a legit source and not a fly -by - night operation. Any info will be welcome.

Victoria

Agencies

Writer Beware has received a number of reports about Glenn Mollette of GMA Literary/GMA Publishing.

He began as a literary agent charging upfront fees--amounts as high as $450 have been reported to me. I'm not aware that he ever made any commercial book sales. The book placements he lists on his agent website are all with publishers that can't be located, or with small publishers that don't require authors to be agented (i.e., the author could have made the sale on his own), or with his own vanity publisher. Three of the titles listed as placed by him are actually authored by him.

The vanity publishing (GMA Publishing and/or Inspirational Press) is a fairly recent development. Mr. Mollette charges as much as $3,900 for a print-on-demand publication package that can be obtained from large self-publishing companies like iUniverse for only a few hundred dollars.

- Victoria
Writer Beware
www.sfwa.org/beware

reunited

RE: GMA Publishing

Thanks Victoria. I just saved $1900. Started to believe he was kind of fishy when I emailed him asking what the money was for and he had not replied. I am still awaiting a reply fro Publish America but after reading the posts I am not sure I'd want to use them either. I think I will work on my manuscript a bit more with the help of some critiques and then query some other places. I don't have that kind of money to lay out but would try to come up with it if the source was reliable. I will not give him my hard earned pennies. Thanks a bunch.\
Gloria Oren

David

GMA/Glenn Mollette

I have a friend who published with Glenn Mollete/GMA publishing and she says she made a little over $18,000 last year which doesn't sound too bad to me. I selfpublished with a printer and spent over $10,000 and I've made almost none of it back.

emeraldcite

Re: GMA/Glenn Mollette

david, can you name your friend and their book, and you and your book?

not only does it help verify your comments (for those of us who are either veterans of these boards or skeptics) and it's a little bit of free publicity.

David

book

My book is "The Final Word on the Clinton Era" ...however...my printer never got it "out" into circulation.

I'll doublecheck on her book title. I don't have a copy of it. I do know she does a booksigning almost every week someplace at Barnes and Noble or Borders or someplace like that. That was what I had wanted to do with my book but it's not working out that way.

sfsassenach

David...unless you're using "printer" and "pu

as synonyms, therein lies the source of your woes.

Printers print the book. They don't market it. That's a publisher's job. And an author's.

Jessica

email

David,
Please share your email address with me.
I'd like to know about your friend.
I have one email from an author who published on
an imprint of Glenn Mollette and said she made
about $25,000 over the last two years. I think this includes an endorsement though that he got her with a soft drink company.

Victoria

GMA

>> I have one email from an author who published on
an imprint of Glenn Mollette and said she made
about $25,000 over the last two years. I think this includes an endorsement though that he got her with a soft drink company.<<

Based on the information I've collected, I'm skeptical. Remember, Mr. Mollette worked as a literary agent for some years, and to my knowledge never placed a client's book with a commercial publisher.

- Victoria
Writer Beware
www.sfwa.org/beware/

kimichan

GMA author speaks out

I was published through GMA (Glenn Mollette) prior to the upfront fees policy which is now in place. I did not pay to get my book in print, nor would I.

Under the current policy, I would NOT go with GMA Publishing. The money collected goes ONLY to putting your book in print, not editing or marketing, or the other things one would assume a publishing house would do.

Save your money and look elsewhere!!

Martooooon

GMA Publishing

In order to make $18,000.00 with GMA Publishing, Glenn Mollette they'd have to sell about 17,000 books. His "Royalty per book is a little over one dollar. I know. So, something doesn't add up with the claim someone made $18,000.00 with them. My guess is that the person who stated it was from GMA.
HOGWASH!!! I've used their services and wouldn't recommend GMA to publish a diner menu, not alone a book. Get real folks...they're a VANITY/POD/SUBSIDY press, despite Glenn Mollette's deceptive claim to be a "Small Press."

HapiSofi

Re: GMA Publishing

Martooooon, I believe you a lot more readily than I believe "Jessica".

James D Macdonald

Re: GMA Publishing

I'm quite certain that Jessica has an email from someone who claims to be an author who claims to have made $25K. .

kimichan

GMA Publishing has been sold

GMA Publishing (including Rockhouse Press, Milo House Press, Top Publishing, Rising Star Press & Inspiraton Press) has been sold to Anthony & Crystal Obey. It is also under investigation by the Indiana Attorney General's office & the BBB. Apparently Glenn Mollette is fed up with all his angry authors!

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
GMA Publishing

GMA Publishing (including Rockhouse Press, Milo House Press, Top Publishing, Rising Star Press & Inspiraton Press) has been sold to Anthony & Crystal Obey.

Well ... let's see what P&E has for those names a year later:

GMA Publishing: a publisher. Not recommended.

Rockhouse Press: Not found at P&E. Several Google hits for "Rockhouse Press" but no way to tell if it's this one.

Milo House Press: Not found at P&E. A number of books found, dating from 2003, several associated with Glenn Mollette/GMA. Two addresses, one in Texas, one in Indiana. No homepage readily discernable.

Top Publishing: Not found at P&E. Too many hits on Google to be worthwhile.

Rising Star Press: Not listed at P&E. Not sure if these are the same people as Rising Star Press of Bend, CA.

Inspiration Press: Not found at P&E. Several books listed as by GMA and Inspiration Press. They seem to date to 2003.

Anthony & Crystal Obey: Apparently live in Indiana.

DaveKuzminski

Preditors & Editors
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anotherealm.com
P&E doesn't have those because we haven't received any complaints concerning them. However, we're always open to offers of information which we'll gladly post.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
I don't know the Rising Star Press and the Inspiration Press webpages that you find are associated wiht GMA. The GMA page is fluttering with red flags.

I'm not sure if any of the GMA presses have published anything since 2003.

tjwriter

Emerging Anew
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kidscoffeechaos.wordpress.com
Anthony and Crystal Obey are speaking at my local B&N tomorrow in a topic called:

Creative Writing, Getting Published Workshop by Anthony and Crystal Obey

Considering it seems that they are published through the house they own, and mention repeatedly on the website about self-publishing, yet nothing is mentioned in the topic listed is about self-publishing.

I tempted to go just to see what they spout on about.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
And that site's gone, plus the Obeys' other sites.

DreamWeaver

Shakespearean Fool
Registered
Reaction score
You did better than I did. Took me five seconds to find an omitted verb, and another 10 seconds to spot incorrect punctuation, bad formatting, and a first misspelling. Not truly confidence-building...

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
That one's gone, as is yet another venture, Perfect Storm Consulting (although that domain is very recently expired). They're still listed with http://synergyenergymarketing.weebly.com/the-team.html, and their current enterprise looks to be Copy Couple: http://copycouple.com/index.html

ETA: No more sign of writing-related services (other than publishing their own books). Currently pushing hair products as Tony Crystal Labs.

Last edited: