• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Agency] Max & Co (Michael Murphy)

Elliot Cowan

Publish Me
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.elliotelliotelliot.com
Hey all.
I've spent the last week researching agents and such and breaking them up into two groups.
Those that'll accept emails and those that wont.
The last two days I've been emailing those who do in fact accept emailed queries.
As per usual I didn't expect to hear from anyone for months, but a fellow I emailed this evening has responded very quickly, with very useful critical feedback and a show of interest.
The fellows name is Michael Murphy and a Googlesearch seems to reveal nothing sinister, in fact quite the opposite.
I emailed him specifically because his online bio suggested he liked "quirky visual books" which is exactly what I'm peddling.
So I have some questions.
1) Should I be shocked to get a response so quickly.
2) Has anyone heard of him? His website is HERE.
3) Does anything on that website strike you as odd or out of place?
4) Would it be poor protocol to post his response on here?
5) If I pursue this now should I stop sending the blasted thing out to all other places?
I guess the thing is that I've been bitten once, so I'm a little nervous of being excited.

Last edited:

kullervo

minion
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.loreleiarmstrong.com
It is very common to hear back immediately on an email inquiry these days. Read any agent's blog and you will see that they can get dozens and more per day. Clearing them quickly is the only way to keep from drowning under the deluge.

Congratulations on the positive response!

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Well, actually I like the site, and the agency looks legit with real clients and sales. I'd say go for it.

And no, it's not unusual to hear back so soon -- that's what e-submission is all about. The last time I e-submitted, I got a request within one business day as well.

Maui Author

Halfway between here and there
Registered
Reaction score
Did he ask for a partial? If so, send off the partial and then continue sending out the query letters...

Unless he offered to represent you already. If so, then that's awesome and if you feel comfortable with him, no need to send out any more queries.

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Not to derail....but what is a "Quirky Visual Book"? Not sure I have ever heard of that term.

Thank you.....and good luck.

Elliot Cowan

Publish Me
Registered
Reaction score
Website
No he didn't - I'm not actually sure what a partial is though.

What he did say was that the narrative in the books needed work but that he he loved the artwork and the stories and the short films I made based on the books enough to try and work on it.

"Now, how do we build your narrative?

Not sure yet....would love to figure out."

Is what he said.

Elliot Cowan

Publish Me
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Well I've had another email back from Michael.

He feels he'd have a hard time selling what I've got at the moment but feels there's opportunity to make revisions that make make it more commercial, which I'll tackle over the next few days.

I guess this is the way it works?

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score

He feels he'd have a hard time selling what I've got at the moment but feels there's opportunity to make revisions that make make it more commercial, which I'll tackle over the next few days.

That's one way it works, yes. If you have a good rapport with him, and his suggestions feel like they make sense to you, then go for it. If you're looking for someone who'll love your work just as it is, that's another possible path.

Your YouTube shorts are very appealing! Good luck.

Last edited:

David I

Registered
Reaction score

If an agent is willing to collaborate with you to make a better book, and the suggestions seem to make sense, go for it.

The only red flag is if said agent asks for money, or routes you toward an "editorial service." But taking free advice from an agent to improve your ms. is done all the time.

Elliot Cowan

Publish Me
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Well.
Since I last posted I managed to get him to take a look at the other two books in the series and I that seems to have worked.
He has asked if I'd like him to try and sell them.
Bugger me.
I guess there's no promises in this gig but it's mighty nice to see someone "get" what I'm doing and realise that there must be other folks out there who want to see it.
I am feeling confident that this is all above level and would like to thank you chaps for your feeback on the matter.

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha
It is a very strange and sprawly website, and though plenty of authors are shown, I found only one book cover in a two-minute search, and it's not clear if it's HC or trade, who published it, etc.

There's lots of personality and apparent in-jokes going on, but there were no clear links to books sold, only to the writers sites and blogs. I wasn't inspired with confidence.

Also it has a dot-org, not a dot-com or net. How is it a literary agency qualifies for a non-profit suffix? Scammers aside, I prefer an agency that's into making a profit.

Contrast that with the websites of these agencies:

www.spectrumliteraryagency.com Time needed to find list of books sold and their publishers: about 5 seconds. Links on opening page.

http://www.maassagency.com/ Donald Maass Literary agency. Time needed to find list of sold books: about 10 seconds.

http://www.manuslit.com/flash/index.html Manus and Associates Literary Agency. Time needed to find list of sold books: Zero. They have their NTY bestsellers on the opening page.

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
Also it has a dot-org, not a dot-com or net. How is it a literary agency qualifies for a non-profit suffix?

Nobody checks, actually. You can just buy .org from a domain reseller--it's not a restricted suffix like .edu or .gov.

Michael Murphy is a longtime publishing guy, who left William Morrow after the HarperCollins buyout. He's only been in business a few months.

There's more information about him and his sales so far in an interview here.

So on one hand, he's a new agent. On the other hand, he has tons of contacts. On the third hand, sometimes these "second career" agencies people start up after a high-profile retirement turn out to be more of a hobby than a serious business. Hard to say, really.

Last edited:

Elliot Cowan

Publish Me
Registered
Reaction score
Website
It is true that the website is of a very individual nature.
However - it's good design, and there are several books on the site that do actually exist on Amazon.
My correspondence with Michael Murphy has been nothing but friendly, easy going and honest.
He's about the only agent type who's seen my work and "gets" it (not that there's that much to "get" I wouldn't have thought).
He's asked me for no money of any kind and has stressed that he's prepared to sell the book the way I want it sold, and in fact turned down my suggestion of something much flashier.
I'll be speaking to him tomorrow just to confirm some stuff.

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
My correspondence with Michael Murphy has been nothing but friendly, easy going and honest....
He's asked me for no money of any kind...

Michael Murphy is certainly not a scammer.

The only question is whether he can translate his years of publishing industry experience into success as an agent. He's only been doing this for a short time, but he does seem to have made some solid sales already. On the other hand, sometimes people find it harder to bridge the gap between the two roles than they expect.

If it seems like a good match for you when you speak with him, that's really the essential thing.

Elliot Cowan

Publish Me
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Well I had a really nice and encouraging chat with Michael today.
He seems confident that someone out there will want to publish this little project of mine.
He was a very nice fellow with many of the same thoughts about creating that I consider very important.
How very gratifying.
We discussed how he wanted to sell the book, when he'd be pestering people about it, who he'd be pestering people about it and briefly the process should someone say "Oh yes, great, here's some cash. Let's do it".
He was very keen to enforce that he'd sell the book the way I wanted him to sell it.
I told him that he could sell it any way he liked and if I especially disagreed I'd say so.
I invite everyone to cross their fingers for me.