• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Delirium Books / DarkFuse Publications

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Delirium's an established* small press that specializes in special/collectible editions. They're active on the Horror Mall forum if you want to get a feel for the people and their projects.

*(and, IMO, way cool)

heatheringemar

lurking behind that corner..
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ingemarwrites.wordpress.com
Hmm. I submitted a piece to them back in April and have yet to hear any kind of response.

Three attempts at contact via email resulted in no response.

Their site says they have closed submissions temporarily, but that was a month and a half ago. I am wondering if they are a dead market and if I should move on...

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Heather, do you mean the HORROR D’OEUVRES anthology?

I submitted a story in December 2007. I queried in June 2008 and was told the piece was still under consideration. I've not heard anything since, and I can't find it on their website anymore.

Does anyone know if it's still a live market, or if they send out rejections?

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Hmm. According to this fellow, that anthology was canned in early June.

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for that, CP. I'll look for another home for that story.

heatheringemar

lurking behind that corner..
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ingemarwrites.wordpress.com
Huh, gee, they (Delirium Books) did a FABULOUS job of letting everyone know. /end snark.

Well, good to know anyway. I'll send my piece elsewhere (Unimportant, yes, I too submitted to the Horror d'Ouevres).

In this situation, do I need to even bother with sending them a courtesy note saying I am withdrawing my piece?

MicheleLee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michelelee.net
Yes, yes, gods yes, withdraw any way and keep a copy!

Last year I submitted a story to CSM and had no response to three emails (sent months apart). I submitted a second story and got an overnight acceptance. So I subbed the first story elsewhere and it got accepted. CSM announced their closure, saying that there would be two more issues to use their contracted material. I wasn't sure my story would see publication at all, but it was listed on the TOC for the very last issue (kind of an honor really).

So in October I was excited because both stories were supposed to be coming out soon, close to each other and CSM sent me proofs of my story... that's right the one I'd never received a response to and sold elsewhere!

In the end both publishers didn't care and understood it was just a mix up, but I could have lost both publications. (And might have if they hadn't already gone to press.)

Whew, lesson learned, always send a withdrawal unless the publisher makes the announcement that the antho or whatever is closed.

Darren Frey

Banned
Reaction score
I just submitted to Delirium. They are now accepting novellas. I was able to submit mine as a novel though. It said if they want to see more they will email me within a month. I hope this si worth the time and I hope if they do want my book it will sell. I cannot find any of their books on amazon.

jennontheisland

the world is at my command
Registered
Reaction score
I just submitted to Delirium. They are now accepting novellas. I was able to submit mine as a novel though. It said if they want to see more they will email me within a month. I hope this si worth the time and I hope if they do want my book it will sell. I cannot find any of their books on amazon.
If you can't find any of their books on Amazon, how do you expect people to find your book?

brainstorm77

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
If they are on Horror Mall, I'm sure they have to sign an exclusive contract to not list on any other third party vendor sites. So, they would not be on Amazon.

popgun62

Keeper of the pace.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tobytatestories.com
Just an update on genre publisher Delirium/DarkFuse. I was able to find all their books on Amazon, B&N.com, etc. in hardcover, paperback and e-book. If I'm not mistaken, I've also seen their books in retail stores like B&N. One of their editors (For DarkFuse) is Greg F. Gifune, a well-known author of over a dozen novels. He requested my full manuscript and I'm presently waiting to hear back. I'm keeping my fingers crossed because I really like the quality of their entire operation. They reside somewhere between indie and major publisher, which appeals to me for many reasons.

Last edited:

GothicKnight

Registered
Reaction score
They're definitely on Amazon. I checked several of their titles before I submitted by manuscript. The prices were a little higher than I expected so they're probably a POD operation but I can't back that up. Anyone know for sure?

popgun62

Keeper of the pace.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tobytatestories.com
DarkFuse Publishing open to submissions!

DarkFuse was previously known as Delirium, owned by publisher Shane Staley, and has published some of the best known names in the business for the past 13 years, including Edward Lee, Brian Keene, William Meikle and Greg F. Gifune.

I am an author with DarkFuse and I have been very impressed with them since signing my contract. They have treated me with respect and been completely up front about their expectations, answering all my questions promptly and thoroughly. Their cover art is second to none and their editorial staff is amazing. This is my second novel, but my first with DarkFuse, and I would highly recommend them to anyone.

Whip on over to the DarkFuse website and check out what's coming up over the next few months.

Authors of dark fiction can submit either novels or novellas to the DarkFuse Submissions Manager.

williemeikle

The force is strong in this one.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.williammeikle.com
I've signed a six-book deal with them for 3 novels, 3 novellas over the next 3 years, all to be published in limited edition hardcover, paperback and ebook.

I sold them an earlier novel NIGHT OF THE WENDIGO last year. The 100 copy limited hardcover edition sold out in 24 hours, and the ebook and paperback both continue to sell. Another novella outside the deal I mentioned above, CLOCKWORK DOLLS, is coming in hardcover in January 2013

I don't have a bad word to say about them. They pay advances, pay royalties on time, have great product, and care about their writers.

Eriador117

Hobbit Botherer
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats, Willie. Nice deal.

I wonder if anyone could tell me if they publish YA in the supernatural horror vein? I just can't get their site to switch through the multiple imprints for me. Or is this adult only?

Tri

I can't see anything on their guidelines that they don't accept YA, just that the fiction has to be dark by some degree. But then again, they don't say they do accept it either :)

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
I've had a novella accepted by Dark Fuse which should be published this year. Still early days, of course, but everything so far has been smooth. Quick response time, welcoming and informative emails and encouraging all round.