• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Publisher Services / Bar Code Graphics, Inc.

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
I'm betting that what this company is doing is blatantly illegal. To my knowledge, ONLY Lulu.com has entered into an agreement with R.R. Bowker (the only U.S. authorized distributor of ISBNs) to re-sell individual numbers. Bowker is aware of these companies and isn't happy about them. Read more about it here

Any questions you might have about this company should probably be directed to Bowker. I'll bet there's a really short list of companies who are licensed to do what this company is claiming.

rocketman

Registered
Reaction score
I was wondering if you purchased an ISBN number with these guys and used createspace, would it be listed anywhere else?

cpickett

Registered
Reaction score
Where ever the voices in my head like to be
Website
www.brighterdaypublishing.com
Hi,
I just did a quick peruse of the site you list and it doesn't seem like they are authorized with Bowker to do anything. Couple of thoughts for you as to other options:

First, http://www.booksjustbooks.com
is an authorized reseller of ISBNs. Go to the site and on the left you'll see various topics including Obtain ISBN. This company is legit, can provide just about everything you need if you self-publish. Note, this is true self-publish help, not a subsidy/POD publisher.

If I understand your other question correctly, I hope this will help clarify: ISBN numbers are sold to publishers. The publisher then attaches one ISBN to a book (or other published item) to help offer and track sales. If you buy your own ISBN, it is assigned to you, you are the publisher, you are providing the book for sale.

If you use a subsidy company and they assign you an ISBN, they have control over offering the book for sale, etc. If you want to change publishers, publish yourself later, you'd have to get a new number because they don't transfer.

I've looked over Create Space once, but don't recall if they give you both of the options above or not, but you can use an ISBN you own with any company that is just going to serve as a printer.

Hope that helps. Clear as mud, I'm sure.

rocketman

Registered
Reaction score
Cheryl,
Thanks! My reasoning on this is, Createspace does not use real ISBN numbers. So if they become your printer and you are using their numbers, could a bookstore order it? Probably not, but if there was a legit ISBN number chances are better?

cpickett

Registered
Reaction score
Where ever the voices in my head like to be
Website
www.brighterdaypublishing.com
I'm not sure what you meant about not using real ISBNs. There is only one definition of, and provider for ISBNs, and they do use them according to the FAQs.

As far as being available to other stores, that's where POD publishing is getting trickier, especially in light of the new Amazon situation. Until this new development, if you went with most of the POD publishers, your book would be eligible to be ordered through Ingram outlets (bookstores) and Amazon because companies could have relationships with both.

Now though, assuming the changes stick, you'll have to set up with Booksurge/maybe Create Space or whoever else signs the contract, to access Amazon, and another POD to access Ingram. Should be doable if you own your own ISBN. You'll basically have two resources for production into the two supply chains.

Now, it appears things are complicated even more if you use a Createspace ISBN instead because I don't believe they would release it to you to use with another production source/publisher. Most PODs do not do that now, so it makes sense that they wouldn't either. That would mean to me that you'd be limited to distribution through Amazon and your own website.

Stuff like this is just one of the reasons authors really need to educate themselves well about the industry before agreeing to do anything with anyone. POD can be quite confusing, and it doesn't look like it's going to get any easier anytime soon.

Sorry if this is short story long, hope it answers things for you.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
When CreateSpace first started, the "ISBN" they assigned was an Amazon tracking number and not a Bowker-issued ISBN. They've since added true ISBN services, however.

aliceshortcake

Wilde about Oscar
Registered
Reaction score
Publisher Services have branched out into the paid review business with 'Your First Review':

Q. Why should I have to pay for a review? Don’t some companies review books for free? And what about the free reviews I can get through online booksellers or local publications?

A. All review publications must find funding somewhere. Traditionally, print review publications have been financed in large part by advertisements and subscriptions from the mainstream publishing industry, whose books are then reviewed “free” to the author, yet in fact are subsidized by the traditional publisher. Newspaper and magazine reviews dwindle as these publications enter into their own financial troubles. We believe fee-based reviews serve an important role in the world of reading and writing as they guaranteed a detailed, high-quality and unbiased look at a book.
http://yourfirstreview.com/faqs/

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
Wow. This is the 'presents of redundancy' outfit mentioned over on the LitFire forum, yes?

(Walks off, whistling. Really, I can do nothing for anyone who has already drunk of that particular instant-mix fruit beverage.)

ETA: except to whisper 'Goodreads is free.'

Last edited:

aliceshortcake

Wilde about Oscar
Registered
Reaction score
Wow. This is the 'presents of redundancy' outfit mentioned over on the LitFire forum, yes?

'Tis indeed. The website went live in 2012 - at present there are only ten "recent" reviews online and I have no idea how many they've published. Most of them read like extended versions of the type of review left for free on Amazon.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Updating URL: http://www.isbn-us.com/

ETA: Just for the record, the full name of this outfit is Independent Publisher Services, LLC.

Last edited: