Buy books by AWers

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [Agency] RLR Literary / RLR Associates, Ltd.

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin scarletfox's Avatar

[Agency] RLR Literary / RLR Associates, Ltd.

What do you guys know about RLR Associates? They seem to have experience, but their company also works in a bunch of other areas as well. Do y'all think it's legit?

They look good. A google search turned up nothing bad and on their web site they mention they will provide references upon request. If you want to dig deeper, request some authors they represent and book sales made but I think they are OK.

Absolutely Fazed
    Under recent releases they show books sold to major publishers (Warner and Penguin). Their client list is 4 pages long. You could probably find email addresses for at least some of those authors by Googling.

Best guess (but without Victoria's expertise)? They're legit.

Writer Beware Goddess Absolute Sage victoriastrauss's Avatar
    No negatives about RLR that I'm aware of. It has an extensive track record of book sales, and what looks like a very active media division.

- Victoria

practical experience, FTW Provrb1810meggy's Avatar

RLR Literary

Any have info about RLR Literary? Their website is here, http://www.rlrliterary.net/. Their site seems legitimate and lists sales, but I can't find much else on google. They've got a $ on P and E.
    Come check out my blog: http://meganetcetera.blogspot.com

Smile

Gosh, they seem to handle every part of the media there is, with most concentration on sports, T.V. broadcasting, directing, producing. They do have one literary agent that handles all books, and I don't know effective she is at this. The literary division seems like it's just a tack-on, to broaden the other interests, but I might be wrong. They have excellent sales recorded, with some names and claims.

I've never heard of them. Wait for some other opinions. They seem okay, but they do not concentrate solely on writers.

Tri

practical experience, FTW rebobinar's Avatar

Scott Gould/RLR Associates

Does anyone know about Scott Gould/RLR Associates? Their web page looks good, as does their PM page: http://www.rlrliterary.net/, http://www.publishersmarketplace.com...rlrassociates/

But I can't find them on P&E. They represent Edgar award winners, and I'm a mystery writer, but just wanted to check with you guys. I couldn't find anything about them via search on the forums.

Thanks! Robin

I heart Malamutes! :-) JerseyGirl1962's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rebobinar View Post
    But I can't find them on P&E. They represent Edgar award winners, and I'm a mystery writer, but just wanted to check with you guys. I couldn't find anything about them via search on the forums.
    Robin,

Found the agency on P&E:

RLR Associates: $ A literary agency

That dollar sign, naturally, is a good sign!

Hopefully someone who has experience with them will jump in here.

Good luck!

~Nancy
    Screw the new blog, I've resurrected my old blog: Writerly Stuff.

I twit, therefore I am?

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. ~Thomas Edison

It took me fifteen years to discover that I had no talent for writing, but I couldn't give it up because by that time I was too famous. ~Robert Benchley

practical experience, FTW rebobinar's Avatar
    Oh, thank you! I don't know why I couldn't find them.

practical experience, FTW
    Scott Gould asked for my last two manuscripts and turned them both down. He is gracious and I think extremely professional. I think he made a mistake with the last ms., but we'll see. I have nothing but the highest regard for him, however. I think you'll be happy if you land him.

Just a guy with a pen & a delusion Mr. Anonymous's Avatar
    Scott Gould asked for my full. Going to cross my fingers and hope for the best.

figuring it all out
    Mr. Anonymous, how long b/t your query and his request? Thx.
    Rest in peace Don LaFontaine, the real movie announcer guy. Can you imagine the symphony of Don, James Earl Jones and Charlton Heston having a conversation?

A couple days.

practical experience, FTW
    Scott Gould asked for my full manuscript (fictional memoir, satire) about three hours after I queried him. I get good vibes from this agency, although I agree that it seems their focus isn't primarily on literature, but on other kinds of media. I emailed him my doc on Monday afternoon, so keeping my fingers crossed. Would love to work with him. Send good wishes my way! (I'm a newbie at this, and need all the luck I can get).

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin Blueridge's Avatar
    I queried Jennifer Unter from RLR yesterday. She's represented several writers whose NF books are similar to mine, so she made my "A" list.

good luck blueridge!

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin hawk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sleepsheep View Post
    Scott Gould asked for my full manuscript (fictional memoir, satire) about three hours after I queried him. I get good vibes from this agency, although I agree that it seems their focus isn't primarily on literature, but on other kinds of media. I emailed him my doc on Monday afternoon, so keeping my fingers crossed. Would love to work with him. Send good wishes my way! (I'm a newbie at this, and need all the luck I can get).
    Hey sleepsheep, what happened on this ms? I just queried Scott Gould on a commercial fiction ms, so wondering about your experience.
    ~ hawk

Wait... I'm thinking. clarkbrother's Avatar
    Queried Scott Gould at 2:30 pm yesterday and at 3:55 pm he responded by requesting a synopsis and a full. Lightning fast! I'll let you know what happens. <fingers crossed>

Getting back up again Dawnny Baby's Avatar
    FYI for anyone e-querying, use the address on the RLR website:

I just e-queried Scott Gould at RLR. I used his e-mail address from the RLR website, then--when double-checking the RLR listing at PM--I noticed that Scott's e-mail address was different. Worried that I may have queried the wrong e-mail, I called the agency and THEY double-checked for me. The e-mail for Scott Gould on the PM website is incorrect, but the one listed on the RLR website is correct.

Hope this helps!

His PM page says 'send query and sample'. How many pages/chapters does he consider to be a sample? Or, what have others sent?

Getting back up again Dawnny Baby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by August View Post
    His PM page says 'send query and sample'. How many pages/chapters does he consider to be a sample? Or, what have others sent?
    Hi August! I sent (by e-mail) my query, plus a character overview (paragraph descriptions of most of my characters), based on what I read on both PM & the RLR website. Hope that helps!

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin TherapistWriter's Avatar
    Has anyone else noticed that their sales records seem to stop in 2006-7? And this is from their website. I would think it would have been updated sometime in the last two years. Can anyone find anything more recent?
    Thanks!

Lots of stuff posted for 2008-09 on PM. Not a lot of fiction.

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Updating link to literary section: http://www.rlrassociates.net//Pages/Literary.cfm
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

Father, Husband, Soldier, Christian Brian P. White's Avatar
    It may be a little late to ask (seeing as how I already queried Scott Gould today), but does anyone have any recent experiences with him?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast