• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Publisher] iUniverse

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
It appears there is a current class-action lawsuit against AuthorSolutions (and all its imprints):

Investigation of Author Solutions’ Deceptive Practices

Giskan Solotaroff Anderson & Stewart LLP is currently investigating the practices of Author Solutions and all of its brands (AuthorHouse, iUniverse, Trafford, Xlibris, Inkubook, and Wordclay). Authors using Author Solutions have complained of deceptive practices, including enticing authors to purchase promotional services that are not provided or are worthless, failing to pay royalties, and spamming authors and publishing blogs/sites with promotional material.
If you have self-published with Author Solutions or any of its brands and have been the victim of deceptive practices, please fill out the form below.
http://www.gslawny.com/lawyer-attorney-2103286.html

LaylahHunter

Posting on AW instead of writing
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up, Uncle Jim -- my mom got taken in by iUniverse a few years ago and has definitely had some of those complaints. I'll forward her the link.

Jennifer Robins

paranormal interest
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferrobins.com
I've been thinking of canceling the two books I have with them, Ghostly Antiques and the sequel. I sent the letter today and hope I don't have any problems getting them canceled. They have called me wanting several thousands $ for promotions and I didn't like that at all. Of course I refused.

CAMDevil

Registered
Reaction score
Personally I'm canceling my book with them and trying to join the lawsuit. Messed up press releases, fraudulent charges on my credit card for books I didn't order from them, spamming me with emails for buying marketing campaigns I should have received but clearly did not. I am kicking myself terribly for falling for their sales pitch.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
Hilarious letter to a writer from iUniverse reported and discussed here:

http://blog.emilysuess.com/category/self-publishing-writing-freelance/

Hello Kevin,
Such horror stories are from websites that are being sued for racketeering, their [sic] essentially hiring people to write bad reviews about big companies. I don’t expect you to believe me, all I can tell you is [sic] the facts. We’ve been in business for 15 years, published over 91,000 books, we have an A with the Better Business Bureau, we are regulated by the FCC, and our company is a part of the Penguin Random House group. Many of my authors have even returned in recent months to publish their second and third book. I hope we hear from you again.
Sincerely,
Eric Emlinger
PUBLISHING CONSULTANT
Ah, the Argumentum ad BBB: The last resort of the scoundrel. When it comes to literary frauds the BBB is worthless. Notorious vanity press Northwest Publishing was rated A with the BBB on the day federal postal inspectors showed up to confiscate their records and computers. Jim Van Treese, the owner of Northwest, got thirty years in the federal slammer.

Exactly what the FCC (the Federal Communications Commission) has to do with regulating the book business is obscure to me. Does iUniverse perhaps own a radio station?

Racketeering indeed. The only lawsuits (aside from some frivolous and wholly-without-merit suits launched as revenge by various scammers against people who warn newbie writers of scams; suits universally dismissed by the courts) that I'm aware of right now are class-action suits against PublishAmerica and Author Solutions Inc. (iUniverse's parent).

GHF65

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Sad decline at iUniverse

I just published my fourth book with iUniverse, and things have gone steadily downhill. The company was purchased by Pearson (Random House, Penguin, etc) to be their do-it-yourself arm. The result is that the new goal of the company has become quite obviously to get as much up front money from the author as possible, then continue to drain the author's wallet with expensive marketing programs. I'm beyond disappointed.

This time around I bought an advanced editorial program just because I've never gone that way and I could afford to give it a shot. The results were fine in that there are no errors that I could find in the book, but I wasted weeks arguing over what the Chicago Manual of Style says about such things as italics and quotation marks. As an English teacher, I know what the rules are and how to bend them, but I decided to go with the flow in order to be considered for the Editor's Choice award. Yeah, I got the award...and when I looked at the list found that there are 1000 titles and the list isn't searchable, so no vendor is ever going to find my book there.

To recap my adventure, I submitted in July and didn't see the book until mid-November. I was right on the ball with every edit, returning the changes within a day. Meanwhile, I was shifted from one account manager to another and repeatedly dunned with surveys that were meaningless since I didn't have the book in hand. To say my responses became moody and angry is an understatement. The marketing department also started calling immediately upon my submission of the original ms back in July, and the rep got testy when I pointed out I wouldn't buy a marketing plan until I'd seen the final product and deemed it worthy of selling. The phone never stopped ringing for five months it took them to birth my baby.

Biggest problem? There is NO coordination among departments.

Biggest disappointment? NO marketing tools included as in the past. I kind of liked the bookmarks, sell sheets and the rest that used to be part of the package. They were nicely done and made it easy for me to market to local shops by just dropping off a free book and a stack of promo materials. No more. Now everything has a hefty price tag. The marketing rep couldn't understand my ire at the delay in printing that cost me the holiday trade I'd been counting on. "People buy books all year." That's what he said. I explained that these are specifically gift-type books and the missed window of opportunity would cost me. His response? Try again next Christmas because "no one will have read it so it will still be a new title." Oh, joy!

End result? A nice enough book--I give them credit for quality--but a cash outlay I'll never recover because it's a small-niche title on which a quarter-page NYT Book Section ad (for a measly $12k) would be wasted.

So it goes. I released a children's book directly to Amazon via KDP and already sold more copies of that than of the iUniverse title. I had to buy a copy of the ebook to check for errors because they don't send one until 8 WEEKS after the title has "gone live", and I put that up on Amazon as well via KDP. It's already sold for Kindle and Nook, so that wasn't much of an issue.

Be forewarned! Unless you have the patience of the proverbial saint and a bank account that allows you some frivolity, this is not the place for you. I'd go with Createspace (Amazon) or straight to Kindle. You're going to do your own marketing anyway, so why add a middleman?

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
You wrote: "The result is that the new goal of the company has become quite obviously to get as much up front money from the author as possible, then continue to drain the author's wallet with expensive marketing programs."

I hate to say this, but wasn't this always their MO? I never used them, but I watched other writers do so.