Self Doubts...How do you handle them?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TinaCherilee

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, I was wondering if any of you dealt with self doubts as a writer? And how did you handle them?

I've been told that I'm very gifted as a writer? Which still puzzles me, but when someone doesn't react to my novel the way others have...I begin to wonder if maybe I don't have it? Maybe it could be written better?

I know that my story is good...I only question how the industry will react to it, and me?

Thanks,

Tina

drachin8

post-apocalyptic bunny
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Writing is an odd industry in that so many participants (myself included at one time) feel they must immediately be experts or else they are failures. Could your story be written better? Maybe, maybe not. What is important is that it is the best you can write right now and that you are striving to improve your craft. Sometimes you'll take a huge leap forward, sometimes you'll take a few steps backward, and you'll probably always have a lingering doubt as to whether you are any good or everything is a fluke (heck, I am still not convinced my sales mean anything half the time).

Just stick with it and keep learning.

:)

-Michelle

III

rockin the suburbs
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jayyoungweb.com
Just keep this in mind - most people will never buy your book. Of those who do, half probably won't finish reading it. Of those who do finish it, half probably won't be too impressed. Of those who are impressed a few may absolutely love it and become true fans. That's just life. Write for those fans and for yourself and don't worry about the unavoidable.

jchines

Got the hang of it, here
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jimchines.com
I still get them. Fortunately, I've sold enough books and stories to recognize them as a part of my process. I know there's going to be a point on every book where I think it sucks, and I suck, and my editor's a fool for actually buying my work, and my readers are all going to lynch me when they see this piece of drek. (Usually, this happens more than once.)

It happens, and it's easy to get discouraged. But I've learned that if I just keep writing, sooner or later I'll write something I love and decide I'm brilliant again :)

bluntforcetrauma

Esquire
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just keep this in mind - most people will never buy your book. Of those who do, half probably won't finish reading it. Of those who do finish it, half probably won't be too impressed. Of those who are impressed a few may absolutely love it and become true fans. That's just life. Write for those fans and for yourself and don't worry about the unavoidable.

goodbye cruel world...

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
All of us, except DWSTXS, who I suspect is lying, have self-doubts. It's part and parcel with being a writer. We're a strange breed, we want people to read our stories, but then at the same time we're filled with insecurities about what they'll think of it.
Well that was depressing.

misterkel

Registered
Reaction score
Rejections after a partial bring up BIG doubt and discouragement. I think 'I'll never write again.'
But then it goes away after a few days and I'm back.
Insecurity is fuel if you have the insight to see it that way. It connects you to others and helps you understand them, which is critical for a fiction writer.

I'm pretty good at rationalizing.

III

rockin the suburbs
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jayyoungweb.com
Well that was depressing.

Why? Because it's not realistic to expect to have legions of fans or universal acclaim? Even the most successful authors have plenty of haters and millions of sold books that remain only half-read by the masses. People have different tastes, but that doesn't mean your writing sucks. People buy a book because they like the cover or the concept, but for any number of reasons they don't finish it. Maybe they're busy. Maybe they were distracted. Maybe the style wasn't their cup of tea.

I'm fortunate enough to have a handful of self-proclaimed "fans" of my books. As I work on my WIP, I'm not focusing on those who didn't like the first books or the shortcomings I know I had; I'm focusing on telling a story to those "fans" and improving as a storyteller, otherwise I'd give up writing entirely and spend time learning plumbing or something that's actually useful.

Hell, one fan makes it all worth it for me.

TinaCherilee

Registered
Reaction score
Wow...thanks everyone. I know Let it Be Me is a great read. Compared to earlier drafts..but those doubts always appear. Because I've always read some stuff, when I wonder who the heck decided to publish this?? I've also had to stop reading some Danielle Steel books because I wasn't intrigued enough or it was just plain boring.

Its just good to know that its normal for a writer to feel this way...and that I'm not alone.

Thanks,

Tina

joyce

I'm really shy...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thoughtsfromthecave.blogspot.com
I thought I was just a mental basket case until I arrived here and realized I had partners in the same mental group of self doubt. On Monday I might think what I wrote is great and then by Wed. I think it sucks, then by Friday and a couple of beers later I'm back to thinking I'm ok. I've got a great group of friends/betas who keep my spirits going. I'm a writer and always have been. The times I want to quit because I think I suck, I just can't. I figure even if I never realize the dream of being published, I'll still be writing. It's something I just feel a need to do. I figure when I die the kid will find drawers of manuscripts and have to deal with them, by then I will no longer care. Don't give up because what you are feeling is only natural.

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
All humans have moments of self-doubt. Some have minutes of self-doubt. A few have hours of self-doubt. An unfortunate handful, days of self-doubt.

But writers are lucky. They get to have whole WEEKS of self-doubt! Like between mailing the MS and hearing back about it. :p

Seriously, though. You just have to keep writing and rewriting and seeking compatible beta readers who'll keep you on track. Then you have to suck it up and start submitting. Remember, for every crit and rejection you get, the big Reputation Counter in the sky gives you a plus point! Why? Because you had the guts to put your work out there.

You'll only start racking up negative points if you quit. Really. S'true. I saw it in a dream, all immense and shiny, with a counter dial for everyone in the universe. It was cool.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Without self-doubt you would just be a bad writer. Just consider your family and friends to be a bunch of liars. The ones who lift you up are just being nice and the ones who tear you down are just being jealous. Find someone who doesn't owe you anything... someone who knows writing. Someone whose opinion you can trust. If you can't find that person, then just assume you are bad and work your ass off to prove yourself wrong. You are all you have.

DamaNegra

Mexican on the loose!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fictionpress.com

Was that supposed to help? You could've said it nicer.... :cry:

Self-doubts crush and paralyze me. People get fed up with me and yell at me because of my excessive self-doubting. I still think they're wrong. I suck. And now I'm stuck trying to write a paper to give a freaking conference and OH MY GOD WHAT THE HELL WAS I THINKING WHEN I SIGNED UP FOR THIS? I'M NOT CAPABLE!

Dammit!

BlueTexas

Back from self-exile land.
Registered
Reaction score
Take your fear and pretend you're putting it in a big box. Then blow the box up.

Having fun with fear is one way to squash it :)

Appalachian Writer

Somewhere in the hills....
Registered
Reaction score
KTC is right. Self-doubt is an asset. Without it, no one would strive to be better at his/her craft. The need for approval is one thing, and God knows we all suffer from that desire. If that's all we're seeking, a constant stream of nodding heads who agree that we are what we think we are (wonderful) never really helps. I'm all for affirming beautiful writing, but without that head who shakes from side to side, who says "I think you could do better," would you work harder? Would you study and research and do all the things that might lift you to another level? Maybe, but most likely, upon hearing those wonderful things, most of us would just sit back in the lazy-boy, a smug smile on our faces, and wait for the accolades. Not much promise in that.

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
My self-doubt is just part of me. I have it in everything I do, from parenting to novel writing to my career. The novel-writing self doubt, however, is special because there’s precious little way for me to get affirmation that I can do it at all. In parenting, I have those wonderful beings that are my kids that I think I must have had something to with. In my career, I have my supervisor who gives me feedback and performance reviews. But in novel-writing I’m isolated. Just me and my brain. And no one is there to pat me on the back and say, “Good job,” or “You’re on the right track.” I don’t know how to get over the doubt, beyond simply enjoying the process of writing and creating.

III

rockin the suburbs
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jayyoungweb.com
Was that supposed to help? You could've said it nicer.... :cry:

Everyone will buy everything you write, regardless of the genre. They will all read it in one sitting and be so overcome with rapture they will blow their brains out because life will never be as good as it was while they were reading your novel.

Happy now? Murderer.

celestialdancer

Registered
Reaction score
Everybody is scared one way or another. Writing to me is a haven wherein I can be myself and create a perfect world. The idea of showing your work to others makes you vulnerable and open to critism. All I am saying is that your not perfect but so am I. Self doubt is a biological means for preservation. What do you have to lose after a harsh critism? Nothing but you can learn from that to make yourself from a mediocre writer to an incredible writer. I am not saying you are but there are times we tend to feel that. Dont let fear take control of your talent and ideas.

Status
Not open for further replies.