The AW Amazon Store
Buy Books by AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LJK Literary Management

practical experience, FTW

LJK Literary Management

Not in the index, but a $ on Preditors/Editors. Here's the link:

http://www.ljkliterary.com/

I queried Susanna Einstein. Can't beat the name anyway.

Note that they have very specific submission instructions available in a downloadable PDF.

Anybody have any contact with/opinions on?

bedazzled /bootay shaker!! xiaotien's Avatar
    i equeried her with first
    chapter attached mid-feb and got
    a polite 3 day ejection.

Silver Ph0enix (Greenwi11ow: 4/09)

Fury of the Ph0enix (Greenwi11ow: 3/11)

Diverse 3nergies anthology (Tu B00ks: 10/12)

visit my website :
    paint & prose

my brush art at etsy!

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    I e-queried Susanna Einstein with partial and she requested whole manuscript. Note that their guidelines say they do prefer email submissions. When I read through the first time, I thought this applied mostly to the partials, and I'd always read that full manuscript submissions are better sent in hard copy, so that's how I sent mine. I waited 10 weeks (the amount of time they say to wait before following up on a submissions) to email checking on the progress and offering to send an electronic copy of it as well if they needed. They emailed back in a couple days to say they would like a copy emailed, so ... I'm about to do that. I'm guessing this means they haven't begun their reveiw of the paper copy yet.

I have read of one instance where someone heard back from them on a complete manuscript within three weeks, though it wasn't mentioned if this was email or regular. I'll post again when I hear back from them, but I highly recommend dealing only with email submisions with this agency.
    You shall know know the truth, and the truth shall make you odd. ~ Flannery O'Connor

practical experience, FTW MsJudy's Avatar

LJK Literary Management/Susanna Einstein

Anyone have any experience with them? Their website looks good, and they seem to have a long track record, yet I don't see anything listed here.

Here's their website: http://www.ljkliterary.com/
    represented by Jenny Bent of the Bent Agency. Most happy.

West of somewhere and a click south of nowhere
    Here's the thread AW already has on this agency.

Susanna read a couple of my books. She was professional, prompt, and helpful in revising the stories. I would have felt lucky to have her.
    Last edited by shameless; 09-29-2008 at 06:19 PM. Reason: nasty little typos bug perfectionists...

practical experience, FTW MsJudy's Avatar
    Thanks, don't know why I couldn't find it....

I was having a bad search day, I guess.

Anyway, since she sounds good, I'll send off that query!
    represented by Jenny Bent of the Bent Agency. Most happy.

Sorry it took me so long to post a follow-up. LJK did respond in a very professional manner to my manuscript submission. Took longer by regular mail than their guidelines indicate, but their guidelines also indicate they prefer electronic submissions.

They suggested some very reasonable changes and said I was welcome to resubmit when I'd incorporated these changes.
    You shall know know the truth, and the truth shall make you odd. ~ Flannery O'Connor

LJK Literary - request for first 50 pages

I just received a request for the first 50 pages of my mainstream novel, Blue-Eyed Son, from LJK Literary Management.

has anyone worked with them recently, and can tell me what to expect?

Thanks
    Doyle W. Sinclair

'I'm in the kitchen. . .with the tombstone blues.'

Pics:
    http://www.pbase.com/dwstxs

WIP's-
    Blue-Eyed Son -available on Amazon.com in print and Kindle versions - 119k

Untitled sci-fi work. currently at 40k

West of somewhere and a click south of nowhere
    Quote Originally Posted by DWSTXS View Post
    I just received a request for the first 50 pages of my mainstream novel, Blue-Eyed Son, from LJK Literary Management.

has anyone worked with them recently, and can tell me what to expect?

Thanks

They've had some really good sales lately! Good luck!!

The Ladies Who Lunch ~ Includes TWO Maggie finalists!
    The Seeker
    5 stars ~ "James provides a brilliantly conceived post apocalyptic world." ~ Beth, The Tome Tender
    My website!

I got a full request almost two months ago; SE's assistant read it very quickly and got back to me with revision suggestions (good ones). I've since revised accordingly and sent it back in...now I'm waiting

ideas are floating where they will Stlight's Avatar
    where you can put sugar sprinkles on lots of things
    I noticed that she asks to be included in your query/cover letter what you as the author plan to do to promote your book.

That struck me as odd, but maybe not.

S

Wait... I'm thinking. clarkbrother's Avatar
    Received a rejection from LJK on 11/25/08, and then out of blue they emailed another rejection letter on 1/9/08. Okay, I get it already. You're not interested!

twice rejected too

Quote Originally Posted by clarkbrother View Post
    Received a rejection from LJK on 11/25/08, and then out of blue they emailed another rejection letter on 1/9/08. Okay, I get it already. You're not interested!

They rejected me twice by e-mail. I considered sending a scathing and pithy reply regarding their incompetence, but realized that if I sent it, I'd probably just get rejected again, twice.
    Doyle W. Sinclair

'I'm in the kitchen. . .with the tombstone blues.'

Pics:
    http://www.pbase.com/dwstxs

WIP's-
    Blue-Eyed Son -available on Amazon.com in print and Kindle versions - 119k

Untitled sci-fi work. currently at 40k

practical experience, FTW jeseymour's Avatar
    They asked for the full of my first novel, in 2006, rejected. I was just about to query them again, but their website says they are not accepting any.

Submission Guidelines

As of December 18, 2008, we are no longer accepting submissions by mail or e-mail. All submissions received on or before this date will be reviewed and replied to. This is a temporary policy.
    Last edited by jeseymour; 01-31-2009 at 01:22 AM. Reason: correction

I adore Susanna Einstein. She took me on in August 2008, and she was an amazing help in editing my book into shape. She took it to auction and we got a three-book deal with HarperCollins (Avon). She kept world rights and has sold the book in Germany and Australia. She's been wonderful, and is completely professional: always returning emails and phone calls with speed. She's encouraging and smart, and I feel like the luckiest writer in the world to have her on my side.

Her agency wasn't accepting queries for a while, as they got so busy last year, but I see they're now accepting again. I can't recommend her enough.

Big Meanie Head "A" Is For "Agent"'s Avatar
    Nevermind.
    Last edited by "A" Is For "Agent"; 04-25-2009 at 07:16 AM.

requiescat in pace Requiescat In Pace
    Equeried: 4/29/10
    Rejection: 5/10/10
    It is with the deepest sadness that I must tell all of you that my wife, Irene Schaft, passed away on Monday, 9 August 2010 from a massive stroke.

In lieu of flowers, please consider making a contribution to Parker Paws, http://www.parkerpaws.org/donate.html a local animal shelter.

Irene's system will only be up infrequently for the next few weeks, and her mail will not be checked regularly. Any messages of condolence can be sent to her husband George at schaft@schaft.com

Irene's blog: [URL]http://sybilsimon.com/[/URL]

This hat is getting too hot Chumplet's Avatar
    I'm giving them a shot, attaching my first two chapters. It's a general email address but I'll put it to Susanna's attention. They ask for complete contact info but I'm putting it at the end so they can dive into the overview of my novel.

Here goes!

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin NNSakusha's Avatar
    Equeried Ms. Einstein and two months later got a full request from her super sweet assistant. Now, I'm just waiting. They seem great. Professional and great email communication. Good luck to everyone else who has queries out with them! (=

LJK Literary appears to be shut down. Here's what the website says:

"Thanks for visiting the LJK Literary Management website. The agency is now closed as I am moving back to the publisher side of the business. I'm happy to say that my two senior colleagues, Susanna Einstein and Megan Thompson, will be continuing as agents at the newly created Einstein Thompson Agency, and submissions can be made to them at submissions@einsteinthompson.com. Susanna and Meg have very strong track records in our industry as their bios will attest.

In addition to submissions, any inquiries about LJK Literary Management clients should be directed to them at info@einsteinthompson.com.

I have enjoyed my six years at LJK Literary Management and I know that Susanna and Meg, and the Einstein Thompson Agency, will carry on our tradition of representing authors in the most exemplary way.

Sincerely,
    Laurence Kirshbaum
    Founder, LJK Literary Management"

Father, Husband, Soldier, Christian Brian P. White's Avatar
    Too bad their new website isn't up yet. Took a chance anyway (Susanna Thompson looked like she might fit what I had).

GUGuardian, did yours go through? Mine bounced back as "undeliverable," but it also shows up in my "sent" box.

I'm hoping what you wrote in your post was just one of those subconscious typos and that you got it right in your query. It should be Susanna Einstein. If not: been there, done that. I think we all have at some point. This is a draining process.

Father, Husband, Soldier, Christian Brian P. White's Avatar
    Luckily, that post was a typo while my query was addressed to "Ms. Einstein". However, it's funny you should say that because my very first query was to Jodi Reamer of the Writer's House, who requested it be sent to her assistant Alec Shane. I accidently addressed it to "Mr. Alec".

As for the email, I didn't receive any bounce notices, so I guess it went through.

Happily stuck in the 19th century IsabellaCranford's Avatar
    I queried Susanna Einstein on 2/1/12 with 25 pages (as requested on her website) and haven't heard a peep. I've felt discouraged (two other agents I queried shortly after requested the full within hours for one, one day for the other), but reading this thread I see that it can take a few months for Ms. Einstein to request more. I'll keep hoping for that, or at least a response.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast