So close but...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Appalachian Writer

Somewhere in the hills....
Registered
Reaction score
So I've had 3 full rejections in the last few weeks and boy do they sting. All had really wonderful things to say and criticisms were minimal. Two of the letters went so far as to say weren't "true rejection letters" as they were both going to offer one last ditch shot (one pitched to some editors without "fully backing" the book; the other passed it on to one of his colleagues) because neither had the heart to pass entirely. The other spent 3/4 of the letter spouting the book's praises before saying that ultimately what held it together was a bit too slim to make it salable.

Now the question comes do I try to rework it again (I've been writing it for a looooonnnng time), or call it a fatally flawed work and move on? I've queried about 30 agents total. About 10 are still outstanding with silence as an answer, 1 full and 1 partial remain out.

How do you know when it's time to move on?

I've had a similar experience within the same time. One full was flat-out rejected. The other two agents reading fulls gave me glowing comments like "profound dialogue", "excellent writer," and "I started to write a rejection but just couldn't bring myself to do it." In the end, I got the it's not for my agency comment. I still have one full out, like you. I'm waiting for that response. Is my book or yours fatally flawed? I don't know. Someone reminded me that it took Dr. Seuss 10 years to be published. Another said, work on your WIP. Make it as good as possible, but keep the other on a back burner, waiting for another time and place. Sounded good to me. How about you?

Status
Not open for further replies.