AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011

Thread: Agents charging Fees

Quote Originally Posted by AW Admin View Post
    A good agent is a blessing.

A bad agent is a curse.

There may be a middle ground; I've not found it. Yes, you can do without an agent, but a good agent has close personal relationships with editors and knows what they like and can call them up and get your ms. put in the editor's own hands.

A good agent knows what your book will fetch as an advance, and has an idea of the potential future sales and rights worth in terms of money in your hands.

A good agent will sell your book while you write another one.

A good agent is like a top-notch defensive goalie, and protects you from the hockey puck of fate, so that you can go on writing.
    Well said and so very true
    Author of high-octane sci-fi, fantasy and horror!

www.tobytatestories.com Amazon

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    I have an offer of representation from an agent. I've read all of your advice and the agent has been answering all of my questions. The agent seems reputable, but still new. My only concern is that the agent wants to charge me a small "deposit" against commission. The contract states "this deposit will be repaid from the Literary Agent's commissions or upon time of termination of this contract less any amount already refunded." I did confront the agent about my unease of the deposit, and the agent said that some agents charge a deposit and some don't. The deposit would be made via Paypal. Should I be concerned? Thank u for your help.

Ships full of vampires are hell. AW Moderator amergina's Avatar
    Yes. Be concerned. I have never heard of a reputable agent doing this.
    Done: Syncopation -- Rockstars! Kink! Reunited snarky enemies to lovers!
    WIP: Counterpoint -- Indomitable Rock God who's secretly a twink falls for a geek who likes to tie men up.

Latest Release: Close Quarter
    Coming December 2017: Outside the Lines

Website * Twitter * Tumblr

Please consider a paid subscription to AbsoluteWrite to help with site's upkeep!

Quote Originally Posted by sandybeach View Post
    I have an offer of representation from an agent. I've read all of your advice and the agent has been answering all of my questions. The agent seems reputable, but still new. My only concern is that the agent wants to charge me a small "deposit" against commission. The contract states "this deposit will be repaid from the Literary Agent's commissions or upon time of termination of this contract less any amount already refunded." I did confront the agent about my unease of the deposit, and the agent said that some agents charge a deposit and some don't. The deposit would be made via Paypal. Should I be concerned? Thank u for your help.
    That's weird. I'd contact Victoria Strauss at Writer Beware: http://www.sfwa.org/other-resources/...writer-beware/

You can ask her what she thinks.

Such a nasty woman SuperModerator Old Hack's Avatar
    That doesn't sound good to me either. If you like you could send me the agent's name by private message, in confidence of course, and if I know the agent I'll let you know what I think of them.

Other checks you can do yourself: does this agent represent writers you've heard of, who are successful in their fields? Have they made multiple verifiable sales to major publishers? Do they have a lot of good experience working in publishing (and here I mean in trade publishing, working for successful print publishers, reputable agencies?)

Your Genial Uncle Absolute Sage James D. Macdonald's Avatar
    When you say, "...but still new" does that mean "yet to make their first sale"?

What qualifications, other than "willing to represent me," does this agent have?

Holding out for a Superhero... Sheryl Nantus's Avatar
    Brownsville, Pennsylvania. Or New Babbage, Second Life!

No.

This screams "red flag" to me.

The fact that you have to PAY the agent in advance of any sales is ridiculous. What if your book doesn't sell blockbusters out of the gate or takes months to gain momentum? Whatever amount you've got to pre-pay is going to stay there or do you have to keep "topping it off"?

No. Just... no. You can do better and your book and writing skills deserve better.

No.

I did email her and am waiting to hear back. Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by AW Admin View Post
    That's weird. I'd contact Victoria Strauss at Writer Beware: http://www.sfwa.org/other-resources/...writer-beware/

You can ask her what she thinks.

They've been an agent for only a year and have had their agency for the same amount of time. The agent has made sales and reported that 2/3 of all of their clients books have been sold. The agent did list some reputable publishers, but there's no way to verify this. Of the client's listed on the agency's site, the links go to Amazon and the publisher is listed as CreateSpace or some other self-published press. I did question the agent about this and their reply was that the agency is still new and in the process of signing with large and small publishers and named a few reputable ones. The agent agree that it did not make sense to have me "self-publish" with their agency.

In terms of qualifications, the agent has been a writer/editor/book critic for several decades in what appears to be prominent presses/magazines/newspapers.

for
    Quote Originally Posted by James D. Macdonald View Post
    When you say, "...but still new" does that mean "yet to make their first sale"?

What qualifications, other than "willing to represent me," does this agent have?
    - - - Updated - - -

That's exactly my concern. It doesn't seem like the agent is trying to scam me. Maybe the agent is just new and nave?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheryl Nantus View Post
    No.

This screams "red flag" to me.

The fact that you have to PAY the agent in advance of any sales is ridiculous. What if your book doesn't sell blockbusters out of the gate or takes months to gain momentum? Whatever amount you've got to pre-pay is going to stay there or do you have to keep "topping it off"?

No. Just... no. You can do better and your book and writing skills deserve better.

No.

The agent did list some reputable publishers, but there's no way to verify this.
    Do you have access to Publisher's Marketplace? If you do, then you can check for reported sales.

That's exactly my concern. It doesn't seem like the agent is trying to scam me. Maybe the agent is just new and nave?
    What are the policies of other agents in the agency?
    Last edited by Cyia; 11-16-2016 at 09:09 PM.

Ships full of vampires are hell. AW Moderator amergina's Avatar
    I have a publisher's marketplace account and can look up this info, if you want.

PM me the agent's name and I'll do it.

I signed with a newer agent (back when I signed). BUT she was at a very established agency and had been an agent's assistant for a number of years before that.
    Done: Syncopation -- Rockstars! Kink! Reunited snarky enemies to lovers!
    WIP: Counterpoint -- Indomitable Rock God who's secretly a twink falls for a geek who likes to tie men up.

Latest Release: Close Quarter
    Coming December 2017: Outside the Lines

Website * Twitter * Tumblr

Please consider a paid subscription to AbsoluteWrite to help with site's upkeep!

I've checked the agent out. Doesn't look good to me. I'd move on. I hope you find someone better next time!

Holding out for a Superhero... Sheryl Nantus's Avatar
    Brownsville, Pennsylvania. Or New Babbage, Second Life!
    It doesn't seem like the agent is trying to scam me. Maybe the agent is just new and nave?
    No.
    I wouldn't buy into that one - I've NEVER heard about having to make a deposit or any sort of pre-paid arrangement with an agent in order to get them to sign you. And it makes no sense, when you think about it - how much money are you going to give them in advance of sales? Ten dollars? A hundred? A thousand? And when do they take it - when they expect royalties to come out? When the book's released, the one they haven't even sold yet?

They may not be intentionally scamming you - it might be another one of these "I've got a way to re-invent the wheel!" but it's not a good idea, IMO. It complicates things and, frankly, smells to high heaven. What's to stop them from taking the money at any time?

No.

Scribe of the girls in the basement Marissa D's Avatar
    New England but hankering for the old one
    Is the agent in question an AAR member? I'm not sure how they would feel about this practice--maybe contact them and ask?

Thanks for everyone's feedback. I've decided that I won't be signing. This agent seems very fishy.

Does anybody have any information on which agency is being referenced in this post on today's QueryTracker blog? https://querytracker.blogspot.com/20...e-you-fee.html

edited to add: This is an unnamed legitimate agent at a legitimate agency. The agency has apparently changed the terms of its agreement with authors and now said to be charging $250/year to rep an author and charging "a $500.00 cancellation fee should the author terminate the contract."
    Last edited by Anne_B; 02-02-2017 at 12:30 AM.

I don't know who that agency is. But I wouldn't describe them as a legitimate agency with that clause in their contract.

Loiacono? I know she's doing that.

This M/M space opera
    Blog: Blue Night
    Art and jewelry online at Etsy.

Quote Originally Posted by Filigree View Post
    Loiacono? I know she's doing that.
    Hmmm. Thanks. I just found a relevant thread here--see replies 12 and 13. http://absolutewrite.com/forums/show...anie-Loiacono)

My agent did not charge for reading my book either.
    This thread is very informative.

Thanks
    Caroline J Thibeaux

Thumbs down Don't Give Anybody Any Money

Quote Originally Posted by erich v View Post
    What's the problem with agents charging fees?

I would be glad to pay an agent a (reasonable, affordable) fee if he gets my book published!
    There is no reason to pay an agent any money. Their costs are minimal and even boutique agencies make enough in royaly percentages to cover those costs. Always remember and never forget: Money flows TO the author, not away.--OE

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011