• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Script analyst] Promedia Entertainment

wickybd

Has anyone heard of Promedia Entertainment. I bought this training video and software package from them that's supposed to teach you how to become a script reader, but I'm wondering if it's a scam. They say after you complete the training (although there isn't much to it) and submit samples that they will put you in their reading pool and you'll be a script reader. Does this even seem like a conceivable way to become a script reader?

sassenach

I think you've been had...

A lot of readers are in the union, which I understand is quite difficult to break into.

From what I've read, there are always more readers than jobs--both union and non-union.

It's telling that their site doesn't provide a client list or any staff cv's etc.

Victoria

Script Readers

There are similar schemes in book publishing--companies that sell materials that supposedly teach you how to become a publisher's reader or proofreader. Publishers use their own readers and proofreaders, who have professional credentials--they also know about the schemes, and it's extremely unlikely they'd hire one of the people who'd bought the materials. I'm betting it's the same with script readers. This is a variation of those "work at home" schemes the Better Business Bureau warns about, where you have to buy a kit.

- Victoria
Writer Beware
www.sfwa.org/beware/

suzypooh

Script Reader Promedia Entertainment

I recently purchased software with this company and I too feel it is too simple. Were you able to return your software for a full refund within 30 days. If so, where?

homerunscoxnet

Promedia Entertainment

I too purchased the training video and software from
Promedia, but I'm afraid that it's a scam. I left a message on their answering machine and was promised
a callback--never got one. I sent them an email with a
question--never got a reply. My husband tried to track
them down (he used to be a skip tracer), and it seems
that the address is bogus. Face it, we've been had!

coolaj

Must be scam

I got a reply via email but I'm still skeptical. The reply to my question was that you dont have to buy the kit but you have to have taken a course somewhere like in college. He said there is one in LA for $625 plus materials. So I will wait to see what he says when I let him know I had a course already at Ohio State. I also asked for a list of clients.

Other than that I'm sure it is a scam. Email was very unprofessional.

AJ

xples

Promedia Entertainment

Sounds like immature "sour grapes" for no reason from people re: being a script reader. I ordered the software and training program and thought it was fine. I have no complaints about it at all. Furthermore, they have politely and professionally addressed my questions. In fact, I'm surprised it was only $50. Anybody who even has a fractional clue about the industry and script reading, would know they received a good deal from Promedia for their education.

Also, when I listened to their message it said if a person already has experience they don't need the training course, they just need to send in their resume and samples. This is common in many professions like graphic artists, writing, etc. People want to see actual samples of an applicants' work. This makes perfect sense. Completely logical.

They even refer people to college courses as another option instead of their training program. With their training program they give a 30 day guarantee.

What else do you thumb suckers want? Somebody to do the actual learning and work required? Grow up!

marky1

Barnum

Again, note from Hollywood: You've been had. Listen to Victoria.

xples

PROMEDIA ENTERTAINMENT

Note to Marky...you missed the point. Promedia never told me that if I spend a mere $50 I will become a script reader.

Any intelligent screenwriter knows that BEFORE on staff script readers review scripts [for those studios that have them] agents what coverage done. If fact, agents prefer having coverage done BEFORE they will even consider representing a screenwriter. Furthermore, most screenwriters want analysis done BEFORE they even consider submitting their scripts to anyone at all. This is common knowledge in Hollywood.

xples

stop whining

Marky...

When you go to CompUsa and buy an accounting program does that make you an accountant? No my friend...you actually have to learn and do something substantial.

Likewise...spending $50 does not make one a script reader! Any intelligent non bright-eyed and bushy- tailed human being should know this. Most people can come up with $50. I spent $50 = now I'm a script reader?! Wow what a deal!

I have educated myself with the help of PM and have been assigned work from them because they liked the quality of what I did. Put yourself through the necessary paces and maybe the same could happen for you. But with your negative, cynical attitude, I doubt it.

Dave Kuzminski

xples

Okay, you've got work assigned from PM. That makes you an employee of theirs, so you're not unbiased. I think your enthusiasm might be better appreciated if you were doing work for some other outfit as a result of what you learned from PM.

xples

PM

Hi Dave:

I do not consider myself "enthusiastic" only realistic.

I did my homework. The going rate for learning script reading is around $500 - $800 and doesn't include a software program. That's an objective fact separate from me, you, the others on this website and PM.

Just as a friendly heads up [not to you Dave but others on this site], I read of a company in the midwest who someone called a "scam" on the internet. The company sued the server and the individuals for defamation. As I recall, the settlement in their favor was over $250,000. I would suggest that a company who offers a training course, ships it, honors their guarantee, refers you to others if you prefer to take your training another way, and tells you clearly that you don't need their training course if you already have experience, is not a "scam" by any stretch of the imagination, regardless of how fertile that imagination might be!

FYI, I have done outside projects from referrals and expect to do more.

MUSETTE222

Re: Script Readers/Promedia Entertainment

YES, I'VE BEEN SCAMMED BY PROMEDIA
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I found an ad for Promedia, not online, but running in the local (Denver) paper last month. I checked out the phone message and the website, and sent an email with questions that were answered. The site and my email reply stated specifically that once the course had been completed, they would add me to their list of readers and start sending me scripts. I asked again when I ordered the software, and the girl who took my order verified that they hired anyone who completed the course.

I received my materials, which weren't too bad. The course consists of a videotape of a guy lecturing, a printed outline that follows the lecture, a couple of pages of industry terms, and some software that formats your treatment or story analysis. It instructs you to go online to one of the sites that has scripts to download for free, and do 7 each of the treatments and analyses, and fax it to them. They would evaluate them, and send me back copies of scripts they had on file, then compare my treatments to those written by their existing staff. The email had advised me that most people finish the course in about 2 weeks. I had my misgivings, but went ahead and did the work, and faxed copies to them last week. I hadn't heard anything, so I sent an email followup on 9/27. It bounced back as an invalid address. The fax number still works, but the website pages aren't working - except. of course, for the one where they're selling their software.

I knew I was taking a risk going in, since it was kind of unorthodox and cheap. but I thought maybe they'd discourage most people with the assignments. and have something to offer people who actually followed through. The 30 day "money back" has expired, of course, but I'm going to try and get my money back anyway. It's not "just 50 bucks" to me. I put a lot of time into doing the required work, and also put off searching for another part time job while I was doing it. We're not financially desperate, but we are hurting, just like a lot of other people out there. I'm sick of these cynical CRIMINALS preying on desperate people.They ran an ad in a major newspaper for a couple of weeks just in this city. They spent thousands of dollars doing it, if it was in more than one city. Who knows how many hundreds of people they defrauded? Worse yet, how many other people missed legitimate job opportunities while chasing this illusion?

Anyone who wants to refute this, send me the name and phone number of a real person at this alleged "business", and I'll contact them. If it turns out to be a misunderstanding, I'll post an apology, so I don't get convicted of libel, as the previous poster threatens. But frankly, I'm not worried.

Next Topic >>

xples

MUSETTE

I really do hope you plan on posting your apology asap because...I just copied your last posting and sent it to:

[email protected]

and YES it was received...and responsed to,

and YES I tried all the web pages and they worked fine.

If you're unhappy or for some reason unable to use a product from any company, return it and get a refund. Don't fabricate stories about the people. Setting aside all the possible legal implications of defaming them, have some self-respect and common decency.

capitalistwriter

defaming?

"Don't fabricate stories about the people."

What makes you think Mussette is fabricating anything? Sounds to me like you're the one defaming Mussette.

You had a good experience with this company. Fine. You told us about it. Others apparently have had less satisfying experiences. When you start attacking people who criticize the company you begin to sound less like a satisfied customer and more like a company shill. If you want to help and support the company, it would probably be best to leave these kind of comments out of your posts.

xples

HI CAPITAL WRITER

I guess we must have read a different e-mail from Musette. Because what I read was PM doesn't have a website or e-mail. The fact is, they do. To write that a company doesn't have something when they do in fact have that very thing - what is this kind of writing called exactly? Please tell me so I can get clarification.

I'm just trying to be fair and reasonable. PM is not perfect. I am not perfect. Nobody on this site is perfect. But at least let's try to be sensible.

webary

FYI

I'm not offering legal advise, but based on my legal background for anyone to write in a public forum like this, that a person and/or company is a "scam", "criminal", etc. is libel. I don't recommend every being a defendant in a libel lawsuit unless you have very deep pockets. The discovery process can take months, if not years, totalling tens, if not hundreds of thousands of dollars in legal fees alone. Not to mention the time and stress. Publishers [on the internet ISP's, Message Boards, etc. are "publishers"] may have insurance to cover some of the expenses. Most authors [those writing the e-mails] do not have insurance.

capitalistwriter

website

Mussette never said PM doesn't have a website or e-mail. What Mussette said was that he/she tried to send them an e-mail and it bounced. Mussette also said that he/she tried to go to their website but it wasn't working. Those are simple and clear statements. The fact that you decided to read between the lines, xples, and interpret it as "PM doesn't have a website or e-mail" tells me much about your perpective on this.

equinoxia

promedia script reading issue

here is what appeared in the sunday, sept. 28 edition of the st. louis post-dispatch classifieds help wanted section under the category general:

MOVIE SCRIPT READERS NEEDED IMMEDIATELY. FT/PT. 888/603-4281.

the recorded message referred callers to the website (www.promediainc.net), indicating that experienced script readers should click on the "contact" icon and send resume and most recent script coverage to the given address, while those without script reading experience should click on the training icon. nothing too untoward about this. at the training link, interested parties are told: "If you do not have actual experience, please do not be discouraged, we do have some training programs available to get you started." and a bit further down: "Once you complete the training you will be placed in our readers' pool. Scripts are sent to you either as a hard copy or e-mail attachment. A good reader can be as busy as they want to be. As mentioned above, up to 15 scripts per week is considered part time. Doing this full time, a good reader can typically handle 20 average length scripts per week. then: "How do I get started?" and finally: "The cost for the ScriptReader software and training video is only $49.95 plus $4.95 shipping and handling." at this point, it helps to remember that the way training for employees normally works is that, first, YOU HAVE TO BE HIRED and become an employee before an employer will offer or attempt to train you. secondly, legitimate employers as a rule do not expect employees--let alone propective employees--to pay for training; those employers train them, or arrange for the training, at company expense, and for good reason. a reasonably prudent person might well have reservations about going forward with promedia's training at this point. now, there's nothing wrong with offering training, and only training, for a fee to people interested in learning a trade or profession, of course. but the pitch used by promedia on their website's training link, as quoted above, most certainly gives the impression that promedia will "get you started" with script reading by sending you scripts once the training materials have been purchased and utilized. and if "getting started" after ordering the materials is contingent upon demonstrating a certain proficiency, promedia conveniently fails to mention this. say what you will xples about those having even a fractional amount of knowledge about the business, there are more and less scrupulous ways of representing what you do, and i think this a somewhat less than scrupulous way. at the risk of offending or boring those savvy enough to realize that when promedia says they will get you started working reading scripts after you've bought and completed training, they really mean that they will get you started IF THEY THINK YOU'RE GOOD ENOUGH, i think such information should be prominently displayed, even if it seems redundant to some. i did go to the bbb website and enter promedia in their report search, and the search result showed that promedia had a satisfactory standing with the bbb, having had one complaint which was "addressed" by the company. however, the company has not been listed with the bbb all that long, so i think it is inconclusive. we do have one positive report about xples' experience with promedia's script reading program, but also i believe that there is some cause for concern after reading some of the other posts so far from those who have bought the training materials from promedia. i am not referring so much to those who simply have the feeling that the training is too simple and are wondering. i am talking about the people who have have not been able to get a response from promedia, one of whom indicates that the company's address is not legitimate, and that of musette, who even completed the training and sent the training scripts in to promedia. xples claims that musette has actually gotten a response from promedia, but i don't think anyone can know that for certain except musette. so i would very much like to hear from musette and homerunscoxnet about where things stand with them as of right now. promedia could be legitimate with their script reading enterprise, but at the least, they need to be more forthcoming and apparently more responsive in order to overcome an understandable degree of skepticism. lastly, for xples, the tone of your communication is very confrontational, intolerant, and smug. that, together with your alleged act of sending musette's post to promedia, does indeed make it seem as though you are on the promedia payroll in a greater capacity than just reading scripts. if you did indeed send them her post, it may seem that you are being resourceful, but i think it is rather juvenile and spiteful. instead of doing that, why not help her get in touch with the company? it was not your place to send her post to them.

canyon laurel

NOTE FROM AN ACTUAL SCRIPT ANALYST

Reading some e-mails in this forum reminds me of those freshman classes in college when the students thought they were "smarter" than the teachers! Remember that? They could never grasp the value of sitting there and the depth of knowledge the profs had stored away in their minds. Humility came later - maybe as seniors or in a masters program or even a doctorate.

Prior to becoming a screenwriter I was a script reader/analyst for many years [btw for all those budding screenwriters, learning script reading/analysis is a big plus.] I would have given my eye teeth and more for a software program to help me do my work. Learning how to do it? I had to learn from scratch. I tried to find someone who would help me but nobody would teach me. If I had an instructor I would have thought I had died gone to heaven.

Believe me - in this industry if you find someone who will stop and teach you something you are way ahead of the curve. A price tag cannot be put on this. This is one of the very few industries left that works sort of like the old "apprenticeship" systems. Learning and merit is everything but you have to find someone who will teach you.

It appears many on this site misunderstand the industry and therefore do not understand the value of anyone or any company that is willing to teach them the "trade", so to speak. If they ever become serious about the profession they hopefully will acquire some humility along the way.

Kuorisama

re: canyon laurel

I've read through the posts, as well. The people aren't blasting the software. The people are questioning whether Promedia is a legit company. I'm questioning that now too (I'm in CA for anyone who cares). Their ad just showed up in our paper, I have ordered the software, but after reading the posts here, I'm thinking I should contact my credit card company and put a stop payment on the order before I lose $50 on something that won't pan out.

In case you don't know what's going on with CA (if you are in the US, I don't know how you don't know), we are going through a govenor recall and the highest unemployment rate ever. I am living testament to that fact. I have lived here a year and applied for almost every job I could find and still nothing. I am registered with 4 temp agencies. This thing with Promedia sounds like a God send to me, but not if it's a scam. I can't afford to blow $50 on something that might or might not happen... especially if you can't get in contact with their company to send the software back for the "30-day unconditional money back guarantee".

canyon laurel

re:kuorisama

I did notice that not one person on this site has said: they ordered the training materials, were not happy or for some other reason returned them, and did not get a refund. So it appears they actually received the materials they ordered, and, I assume from what I read, the materials are effective or they wouldn't be able to produce what they have produced. Just knowing this industry, to have software that helps with analysis work suggests that whoever created it must know something about it.

What people seem to be suggesting is: that a "phantom" created the software and video instruction and sent it to them. If anyone has received a refund after returning their package, I suppose a "phantom" did that do.

I also notice the only positive person on this site is not really that welcome by the others, who seem to be on a sort of rabid "witch hunt" for no apparent reason. The only real complaint that I have been able to understand is an individual not being able to get through on e-mail but this could be that they put in the wrong address. Which often can happen. Or for some reason the site was down for some technical issue. Happens on sites all over the world everyday. But the person doesn't even entertain this possibility. A complaint from the same person is that the website doesn't work. Not it doesn't work for her, but that it doesn't work period.

To me the only real legitimate complaint is that a person ordered the materials, returned the materials according to the policy of the company and did not receive a refund.

As an experiment why don't you contact the company and cancel your order. Come back here and tell us what happened? Where you able to contact them and did they comply with your request?

Kuorisama

re: canyon laurel

I actually did call the number provided on the website. I followed the instructions given, was on hold for 15minutes, and then some guy picked up speaking Spanish and told me to call back later. This was after listening to what sounded like a burgular alarm going off and then a car alarm... I'm surprised I didn't get hung up on.

As to the program, the originator of this little topic posted in other places. I looked at those responses too. Script analysts - like yourself - said (and I quote):

Mister_Underhill: "You sure as hell don't need any special software. You type coverage up in Word, usually using some simple template that the company you're reading for provides."
and
"I can't imagine that you could read from anywhere but right here in town. Every company I've ever worked for still uses paper to send out scripts, and they want quick turnarounds. So you stop by the office every few days to pick up and drop off material (or if you work for a spendy company, you get messengered stuff), and you usually turn the coverage around within a few days at the most.

This thing sounds like a gyp. Definitely contact the BBB if they hassle you on a refund. "

bscript: "I know a lot of professional readers with production companies, studios and a few freelancers and I can't remember even one of them getting their gig via this sort of route."

love2code: "hehehe... you don't need no software... The only thing you really need to know how to do to be a script reader is read and write. You read the script, write what the story was about so someone can figure out the story w/o reading the script. Then you mention what was good about it and what wasn't, along with any guidelines as to what any particular studio/production office wants or doesn't want and any requirements. Stuff which the studio or production office will tell you."

It doesn't make sense that a company would advertise that you can work ANYWHERE in the US if seasoned script analysts are saying that's not true. Not to mention, the idea that each company has their own little formula for the type of coverage they expect to receive contradicts the need for software at all. Bscript says there is a book for $12 that "goes into detail on what to look for in scripts (that's why I bought it)... includes sample coverages and blank ones - basically a 'how to do it yourself' kind of book."

Don't know about you, but I would rather get a $12 book than $50 software. But, seeing as how I'm about 6hrs from LA, neither would do me much good.