• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Publisher] Daverana Enterprises

janrafrank

Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
i don't know where else to put this, but please move it if it is in the wrong place.

I'm so nervous and upset that i created my username wrong and left an e out of my name.

But i came here for help and I have no idea where to post my question.

I have a start up company as an ebook and PoD publisher. I also have post polio syndrome, but I manage well most of the time.

Any way, when I spoke to some friends that I have worked with in the past at other companies, they all wanted to help. One in particular had always been trying to ride my modest coattails and admitted it. He volunteered to slush the art we were getting subbed for covers if I would name him my art director. I did so.

then he made a very premature post about the company (I'm still waiting for my webmaster to finish getting the mysql database set up for our company site) and i was forced to get email accounts set up before I was ready to deal with them. Being very tired, I asked him to set up two accounts for me at gmail using my company name as the name on the accounts.

he did so. the accounts were [email protected] and [email protected] so you can see that the company name was part of it.

He got uglier and uglier, trying to control everything i was doing to get the company set up so i told him that we would go separate ways allowing me to finish getting everything set up at a reasonable pace.

Before I could get all of the passwords changed, he ran off with the two accounts that bore the name of my company, changed the passwords and the security question. If he had just shut down the accounts I would not have a problem. He instead gave them to someone else and the accounts are still live and people are complaining online because I am not answering email sent to those accounts.

Is there anything at all I can do about this? I would be content if the accounts could just be shut down. I can't even make a proper launch of the company with all the hassles this is creating for me.

Horseshoes

lisapreston.com
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lisapreston.com
Whip that website into shape, get e addies and post your correct new e addies on your website. Professional addresses with your dotcom will look better than gmail/yahoo/aol/hotmail addies anyhoo.

janrafrank

Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Caopaux. I have been having so much difficulty in damage control from this situation. He's now telling people that I "pressured" him into making the post that started all my troubles.

We got the mysql database up yesterday. We're now having troubles getting Thunderbird to accept the website mail accounts that my webmaster set up.

It takes time to make things work and I really did not need Joel doing this to me.

I have been advised by a number of pros that the best thing to do at this point was to make posts around that would let people know what the real places to sub was so that nothing ended up going to the compromised accounts.

I still need to get the art guidelines up.

My royalties from Renebooks are supporting the new company. My publisher, Jean Marie Stine, has been very supportive of my efforts to start my own company.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
As always, the best solution for a Gordian Knot in incisive action. :e2chain: Best of luck with your new venture.

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
Don't panic, Janrae. This little kerfluffle will be forgotten.

I think that if you make posts on the various relevant forums laying out YOUR timetable, and giving a legit email address, you'll be fine.

You're handling this just fine so far.

JL_Benet

writer/teacher
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlbenet.com
Now that it's been a while since Daverana started, is there any new news? Have the personnel issues been handled so they are back on schedule? How have the books that have come out so far been doing? Are they getting reviewed by reputable reviewers? Have they arranged for distribution? I can't seem to access the website right now. Is that just a temporary glitch?

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
The site seems to still be there but giving the message:
Warning: mysql_connect() [function.mysql-connect]: Too many connections in /home/janraefrank/html/daverana/includes/dav_session.inc on line 27
Cannot connect to the database because: Too many connections

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Her other sites are down, too, so it looks like she's having server problems. On her Wordpress blog, the last note is from April re: a new release to Kindle: http://cussedness.wordpress.com.

Topaz044

Resident Zombie
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.warofthesoulites.com
Eh, I'm not crazy about the design for the website. I know Janrae has gone through a lot, but this website just isn't very eye-catching to me. Plus there's a white bar going up and done on the left-hand side which I think is a flaw.

Plus, I don't think Daverana has any editiors set up yet. At least I didn't see any on the staff.

JL_Benet

writer/teacher
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlbenet.com
An important post from their Facebook page:
Major news for Daverana Enterprises. Sovay Fox, my daughter, is taking over as CEO. I will no longer be dealing with authors and artists. You can contact her at sovaybussiness {at} gmail [dot] com. My health issues were getting worse as I tried to handle things and as a result the company also suffered.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Daverana-Enterprises/398574250020

JL_Benet

writer/teacher
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlbenet.com
Update

Site is currently undergoing an overhaul. Nothing is quite yet functional. The site is incompatible with Internet Explorerer currently.

Welcome to Daverana.

Submitted by Cussedness on Sat, 03/26/2011 - 10:11
We are a snot nosed arbitrary ornery cuss of a publisher
http://daverana.com/

This looks like they are reorganizing.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
No further activity.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Excellent, thank you. All I was pulling up last night were blogs last updated in '09-'10.

JL_Benet

writer/teacher
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlbenet.com
That was before the actual running of the company was transferred to the former owner/EiC (Janrae Frank, who posts on many boards as Cussedness) to her daughter (Sovay Fox). I think she may not have continued all of the blogs that were previously managed by Janrae. That aspect makes sense as Facebook has taken over much of the traffic that previously was in message boards and blogs spread around the web.

janrafrank

Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
We are finally on our feet and running. The website got a complete overhaul. I was ready to give up completely until August of last year when Tim Willard dug in his heels and said, "no, we're not dead, we just have to fight harder." Then I replaced my editor-in-chief with Elaine Daniels and our biggest challenge is now promotion. We have a lot of good authors coming out and we have a regular schedule.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Alas, Ms. Frank passed away Feb '14. Press closed soon thereafter.