• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Cacoethes Publishing House, LLC

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
It's not so much that I have faith in my publisher: it's that I have faith in myself. I have a master plan, and I don't mind starting small.

The problem is, no matter how careful your plan, and how energetic your efforts on your own behalf, if your publisher can't back those up, they won't do you much good.

Real publishers lay the groundwork for getting their books into the hands of readers long before the publication date. This includes catalog listings, sending out advance reading copies (most professional venues want ARCs at least three months ahead of publication), advertising, and selling the book into stores, using either the publisher's own sales staff or the staff of a distributor (as distinct from a wholesaler such as Ingram or Baker & Taylor, which don't provide marketing services). These are are vital to any book's success, and they're things that only publishers can do effectively. Authors simply don't have access to those marketing channels.

There's also plenty that authors can do for themselves post-publication--setting up interviews and signings and appearances, attending conferences, doing promotions on your website, and so on. But these efforts won't have anything to build on unless the publisher does the initial groundwork. For self-promotion to be effective, your book has to be widely and easily available--which means it must be in brick-and-mortar stores (actually stocked in stores, not just special-orderable) as well as available online. Despite what you may have heard, getting books into stores is the publisher's job, not the author's. If the publisher doesn't do that, you can't make up for it, no matter how hard you work.

There's also the question of credit. Will a book published by Cacoethes be considered a professional writing credit? In my opinion, that's an open question (and that is no reflection on your writing--inexperienced publishers are as glad to take on superior manuscripts as marginal ones). Another small publisher might be impressed by a previous micropress publication credit, but what about an agent, or a larger publisher? My guess is that at best, it would be a neutral. So rather than launching you on an upward path to something bigger, choosing a publisher like Cacoethes may simply ensure that you remain where you are.

- Victoria

brucesarte

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bruceasarte.com
My Experience with Cacoethes Publishing

My experience with Cacoethes has been less than positive when it comes to their ability to get the print copy out to the world. It is not almost 60 days from release date of the eBook and the print copy is not available anywhere.

The submission and editing were very positive experiences for me. Although, most of the people I worked with are no longer there so I don't know how that will go in the future.

I truly hope Cacoethes rights their ship, it seemed so promising right up to my release date and then something happened. If you want specifics, please feel free to e-mail me. I don't want to get involved in a bashing conversation, but if you want to know more I'm happy to expound on my experiences.

http://www.bruceasarte.com

Last edited:

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
I hope this helps aspiring authors... I hope i am wrong and am the exception to the rule with them

I doubt you are the exception to the rule. I know that Shawn felt good about his experience with them, but the same problems in terms of listings on online bookstores surfaced with his book as well.

(I see that Shawn's book from Cacoethes is up on Amazon.com now, which is great. I also see that the Cacoethes folks filled the form out wrong, so the names of the editors are listed with Shawn's--that's not supposed to happen for a single-author title; the "editor" field is for anthologies (like a mystery anthology edited by Otto Penzler, for instance) and critical editions of older works (like an edition of Shakespeare edited by Harold Bloom) not for single-author titles with house editors.)

-- but even if I am I would like to know why and they seem to brush me off!!

Because they're unprofessional. That's not what small publishers generally do. I am sorry for what sounds like a terribly frustrating experience.

Most small publishers are professional and supportive to their authors, despite challenging market conditions.

Last edited:

brucesarte

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bruceasarte.com
IceCream -- I can tell you that they filled out most of the sites wrong with my book too. But I am so overwhelmed with the mistakes, lack of communication and lack of actual books that it seems the least of my concerns.

I can tell you that Shawn seems to have had a good experience, gotten good promo from them and was featured and had a book signing yadda yadda... and that's great. But they have other authors and my situation is borderline breach of contract.

I have no books, and have asked numerous times for a deadline they can meet -- nothing. I have asked abotu book signing kits -- no answer as to when I can get one. It's just getting to be too much, I am almost to the point that I want my rights back.

cant

Registered
Reaction score
Bruce, I tried to email you but it came back undeliverable. Any other way I could contact you?

c2ckim

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thereadersretreat.com
I'm supposed to have a book coming out soon but all of a sudden I'm running into a wall on not returned emails. I tried to get ahold of Bruce but I can't email him either.

cant

Registered
Reaction score
I wonder what my check will look like at the end of this quarter. Anybody got a vote for a Goose Egg?

Feidb

Been Here A While
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fredrayworth.com
It seems to me that this publisher would work fast to resolve this issue seeing as how it is being plastered all over this site (figure of speech, here). Maybe I've missed it, but I haven't seen a single bit of feedback from them.

Whereas, when someone brings up Mundania Press, for instance, they are right here paying attention and often respond in their thread. If this Cacoethes was really on their toes, they'd be haunting this thread to see and react to what people are saying about them.

They certainly can't be too big or too busy to pay attention to their bread and butter here. Makes me wonder if they pay attention to reviews on Amazon, the literary marketplace, and such. I think the status of this site should warrant closer attention by them and any agent or publisher.

brucesarte

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bruceasarte.com
About EMailing Me:
The email address on my profile here is correct, however if you continue to have issues you can contact me via my website on the Media Requests page, it goes right to me and I've had a few authors contact me already via that method -- don't use the one on Cacoethes site, it is not accurate. I would post it here, but I don't need any additional SPAM :).

As far as Cacoethes goes... it seems to me they went through a period of tremendous growth and simply could not keep up with it. I'm not trying to make excuses for them, they should have planned better. But, all other things aside they are doing things... what exactly I'm not sure, when I do talk to them they do get something done -- but talking to them seems to be a challenge... beyond communication and timeliness, they have been OK. I just think they need more help than they have to make things happen.

I don't know if they read these boards or not... sometimes there are things you can learn from them, and sometimes people just vent... that is why I put my name on my posts, I want whomever reads this to know what I think -- not just some anonymous poster is saying that may or may not be true.

That being said: Again, if you want to contact me go to my website, www.bruceasarte.com and do it through the contact page -- it's the easiest way to get o me these days.

Sheryl Nantus

Holding out for a Superhero...
Registered
Reaction score
Brownsville, Pennsylvania. Or New Babbage, Second
Website
www.sherylnantus.com
Whereas, when someone brings up Mundania Press, for instance, they are right here paying attention and often respond in their thread.

no, they were actually AWOL for about six months and then came back to answer questions six months old... and before that they deleted a slew of comments they had posted, making some of the responses rather confusing.

just an observation - now back to the main thread.

:D

you guys are idiots

Registered
Reaction score
You guys are seriously all idiots

first, you say that it's better to leave your novel in your laptop than to have it published with a dubious company. then you say if your story is good, why not shoot for the big leagues right away...

If that's the case, why do all these authors in question bother with small publishers? Why don't they all jump at Random House or whatever and try and get to the big leagues first then? If these small publishers can't be trusted, then why are all these idiot authors even bothering with them? Seriously, if your dream is to make a living as a writer, yes, you should be sending your manuscripts to the "big league" publishing houses? So why are all these self-professed great writers sending their works to a small house?

Also, I applaud the authors who come out and support their publishers. For those who choose to throw their publisher under the bus though.... shame on you.

you guys are idiots

Registered
Reaction score
"maybe"???

Maybe I've missed it, but I haven't seen a single bit of feedback from them.

So, people who run this site love to analyze every poster's comments word for word, eh? Let's try this out and see how YOU like it.

"Maybe I've missed it...." = So, you aren't even sure what your facts are. if that's the case, why bother saying it? If you're not even sure what your info is, you're just misleading people.

"I haven't seen a single bit of feedback from them" = and of course, you're really qualified to say this, eh? What makes you think they don't respond to said feedback to each poster by email? Why, do you suddenly have access to their sent box too?

you guys are idiots

Registered
Reaction score
I don't understand what your hurry is to get published. Surely it has to be better in the long run to secure a solid, advance-paying commercial deal with a publisher like HC, than to take a chance on an outfit like Cacoethes who only pay royalties and whose distribution is in question?

The author stated she believes in herself and is happy with her choice of publishers - so why this need to pick on her decision? Sounds like second-guessing to me. And you "don't understand what [her] hurry is to get published" - why does that matter to you?

But why start small if there's a possibility of getting into the big leagues? Having faith in yourself is great (and I'm not knocking you), but launching a successful book is difficult enough without restricting yourself to a publisher who doesn't seem able to get your books in stores.

Anytime you say "I'm not ~~~~~, BUT...." = yes, you ARE ~~~~~. Thus, yes, you are knocking her.

you guys are idiots

Registered
Reaction score
There's also the question of credit. Will a book published by Cacoethes be considered a professional writing credit? In my opinion, that's an open question (and that is no reflection on your writing--inexperienced publishers are as glad to take on superior manuscripts as marginal ones). Another small publisher might be impressed by a previous micropress publication credit, but what about an agent, or a larger publisher? My guess is that at best, it would be a neutral. So rather than launching you on an upward path to something bigger, choosing a publisher like Cacoethes may simply ensure that you remain where you are.

- Victoria

So, what are your exact credentials once again? You're giving a lot of "opinions" and "guesses" - and why don't you provide a shred of evidence, such as some FACTS to back your claims up? And telling me you've published before tells me nothing. Are you saying you KNOW the publishing industry inside out? This seems to be nothing more than pure speculation, so please enlighten us all.

In fact, while you're at it, why not go on a world crusade to stop all these small publishers from operating... instead of hiding behind a computer and typing up all these messages?

you guys are idiots

Registered
Reaction score
No, she isn't knocking her. If a publisher can't get your book in the stores, then what good is the publisher? Hmmm?
Again, if she is happy with her choice of publisher, WHO are YOU to question that? So, who are YOU? Do you pay her bills or something?

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
So, what are your exact credentials once again? You're giving a lot of "opinions" and "guesses" - and why don't you provide a shred of evidence, such as some FACTS to back your claims up? And telling me you've published before tells me nothing. Are you saying you KNOW the publishing industry inside out? This seems to be nothing more than pure speculation, so please enlighten us all.

In fact, while you're at it, why not go on a world crusade to stop all these small publishers from operating... instead of hiding behind a computer and typing up all these messages?

You might just want to check out Victoria's blog, or have a look at her website; or put her name into Amazon to see what turns up. Just a thought.

you guys are idiots

Registered
Reaction score
Who me? No, I'm just a writer who doesn't like to see other writers get scammed. That's all.

Ok, while you're at it, why not go on a world crusade to stop all these small publishers from operating... instead of hiding behind a computer and typing up all these messages?

you guys are idiots

Registered
Reaction score
Just by looking at this thread here shows how unprofessional some of the posters are on here - knocking a writer such as Shawn early on and then picking on another writer's decision to sign a piece of paper with a small publisher.

And you guys all think you're heroes by trying to rip apart and analyze Shawn's sentences and essentially dissing him.

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
I gave "idiots" a time-out just to calm the thread down for now -- forum moderators may decide otherwise.

-Derek

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
you guys are idiots:
If that's the case, why do all these authors in question bother with small publishers? Why don't they all jump at Random House or whatever and try and get to the big leagues first then? If these small publishers can't be trusted, then why are all these idiot authors even bothering with them? Seriously, if your dream is to make a living as a writer, yes, you should be sending your manuscripts to the "big league" publishing houses? So why are all these self-professed great writers sending their works to a small house?

You misunderstand - perhaps willfully, perhaps not.

There are some excellent small presses out there, e.g. PS Publishing, Quercus and a host of others that I'm sure other posters here can point you to. What they have in common is the fact that:

- they will pay an advance to the author (maybe not a million pounds, but usually a respectable amount);

- they have a track record in sales;

- they comprise people who have experience in the publishing industry (genuine experience, e.g. with the bigger publishers, or significant experience with bookselllers or agents - NOT people who failed to be published and decided to set up their own press in retaliation);

- they will be known by legitimate agents, who will be happy to submit a client's manuscript to them;

- they tend to be genre-specific and recognised within their genre; and

- they can get your books into stores and know how to market it effectively to reviewers and other interested persons without expecting the author to do all the work.

Unfortunately, there are a lot of other small publishers out there who can't say the same and whether they were set up for genuine reasons or specifically to scam people, they are unable to do as well by their authors. It's because there are so many of these, that the general advice to newbies is to research them first in order to ascertain what they can do and what their track record has been like to date.

From everything reported to this thread, Cacoethes has been less than impressive and it certainly doesn't seem to offer any of the things that Quercus or PS can do.

you guys are idiots:
The author stated she believes in herself and is happy with her choice of publishers - so why this need to pick on her decision? Sounds like second-guessing to me.

Not so much second-guessing as trying to find out why Canadian writer made the decision she made. That's pretty much why discussion threads like this exist - to ask questions and raise potential concerns that other writers thinking of approaching Cacoethes may want to bear in mind.

As regards Canadian writer's belief in herself - self-belief is only part of the battle. As I said in one of my earlier posts - you can have a tonne of belief in your own abilities, but it won't translate into a successful writing career if your publisher cannot get books in stores - and from the information shared here, Cacoethes cannot get books into stores. Perhaps you have information to the contrary.

Either way, it's difficult to see why it matters to you so much that people are asking questions and raising potential issues with this company. Have you been published by them or do you have some other involvement?

you guys are idiots:
And you "don't understand what [her] hurry is to get published" - why does that matter to you?

Because people who are in a hurry don't always make informed decisions.

Take a look at the Publish America Forum. Unfortunately a lot of people who get suckered into that company's web do so because their only research on the publishing industry consisted of typing "publisher" into Google. As a result, they end up submitting their manuscripts to PA or i-Universe or Authorhouse, thinking that this is what all publishers are like and then end up considerably out-of-pocket 6 months down the road, wondering where it all went wrong.

you guys are idiots:
Anytime you say "I'm not ~~~~~, BUT...." = yes, you ARE ~~~~~. Thus, yes, you are knocking her.

No. I'm pointing out the many problems with her publisher. These problems include:

- that they do not appear to be geared up to sell books to the public;

- that they appear to be accepting authors on the basis of partials (something which is not standard practice in the industry);

- they have actively gone out to solicit submissions from people via the web (legitimate publishers don't need to generate a slush pile for themselves); and

- they're submitting incorrect details on the websites where they are selling books.

Anyway you look at it, this all leads to a conclusion that Cacoethes are not a professional outfit that know what they're doing. That has to be worrying for any author thinking of going with them and it needs to be pointed out.

It's a shame that you apparently don't like reading about potential issues that can cause real problems for an author further down the road. Given your aggression and rudeness, I have to wonder why it bothers you so much.

MM

brucesarte

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bruceasarte.com
As usual, people on the Internet did not disappoint me with their ability to pass judgment on people from behind a keyboard and no identification whatsoever.

I am happy engage in conversation with those regarding Cacoethes, not arguing or questioning others "credentials"... let's be honest, Clive Cussler and James Patterson aren't on this board posting. So, leave it at that. We are all writers, some do have some credits to their name and others are just starting out. Let's try and help one another and not diminish those whom we do not even know.

Some good Cacoethes news: After a conversation with the publisher, my book does seem to be getting in motion a bit. I'm still a bit skeptical but I figure it has to happen sometime...

Feidb

Been Here A While
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fredrayworth.com
Whoa! Mr. Idiot seems to have a big bone to pick with some of us.

I have NOT submitted to Cacoethes, so I have no idea how they treat their people. However, from some of the feeback I've seen from others that DO work with them, I'm not getting a warm fuzzy off their business practices.

I can't say they are scammers. I can't say they are dishonest, unprofessional, or whatever. I've just seen, based on the feedback on this thread, that a LOT of people are turned off, or very wary of them, for good reason or not.

The only small publisher I've ever sumitted to, is Mundania, and they rejected two of my novels, so far. However, I don't have a bunch of bad things to say about them, and I don't think I've said any bad things about Cacoethes. However, I've seen some disturbing things from myself as well as others in this thread that bother me about the way they do business. However, I have to take it all with a grain of salt because I know nothing about the posters, except for Victoria and I.

Does that make me a slammer of a totally legit, totally professional company? I don't think so. I never would have heard of Cacoethes if they had not sent me a MySpace friend request. That sparked my curiosity and is how I found this thread. When a publisher comes looking for me, I can't help but be suspicious when I've been rejected so many times from people who have actually seen something I wrote.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying random friend requests on MySpace may not be a new trend hitting the publishing industry, but when these publishers are absolutely flooded with thousands of submissions a month, why would they need to go asking for more? It seems to me, just posting somewhere that you are a publisher would get you thousands of manuscripts before your fingers could even leave the keyboard.

I stick by what I said about them not paying attention to, or responding to this thread as I believe that the Water Cooler is a significant presence on the web for writers. I'm not surprised the big names don't post or respond here, they don't need to unless there is a huge negative response to what they do, but the smaller presses trying to get a foothold in the business shouldn't overlook what may be a substantial source of business for them.

Mr. Idiot, you need to dial things down a notch and take a breath. We're not here trying to run Cacoethes into the ground, we're just trying to get a straight story, an accurate picture of who and what they are.