• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Cacoethes Publishing House, LLC

Canadian writer

Heather Matthews
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.heathermatthews.ca
I'm sorry, it took an hour or so to get an email back saying the email address was "undeliverable" - of course. It seemed to go through okay at first. In fact, of all their Paypal information (what shows when you buy a book) is deceiving.

I feel they were running a scam from day one, actually. The way they've set things up allows for layers of confusion and deception: it seems planned and carefully done. They probably didn't count on the guest book "explosion" last Christmas, though. When writers started talking to one another about the problems, things changed. Caco lost control.

Has your contract run out? Someone here must be able to prove copyright infringement through Hostgator. I will certainly be doing it when my contract runs out. That will be a blissful day for me, as I can take further action.

The Scullery Maid - Now an All-Romance E-books Bestseller!
Coming soon - The Secret Of The Emerald Sea

Last edited:

Canadian writer

Heather Matthews
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.heathermatthews.ca
So, it looks like Caco's accountant has also been stiffed by the company, but I don't have any other new information.

BTW, my book is on the bestseller list at Fictionwise (#12). Does anyone know what this means in terms of actual numbers? I can't find out until I receive my quarterly statement...

thx

rosemaryp

Registered
Reaction score
Cacoethes Publishing

I am responding to the various discussions regarding Cacoethes Publishing and myself. I have my best to provide any and all information to the authors regarding royalty books sales and royalty payments. I have been accused of being non -responsive which is not true. My hands are tied in this. Due to confidentiality I cannot release any information on the financial status of Cacoethes. I can only say that I did the work I was compensated for. If you have anyquestions please feel free to contact me. Thank you. Rosemary [email protected] 253-222-6301

Richard White

Stealthy Plot Bunny Peddler
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcwhite.com
Once again, someone wants to take the discussion off-line.

If you have information that you can give to people who e-mail you, you should be able to respond to questions here.

c2ckim

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thereadersretreat.com
Rosemary, if you did the statements they were never mailed out. I'm glad you at least got paid because we certainly didn't. We never even got a statement!

Canadian writer

Heather Matthews
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.heathermatthews.ca
Cacoethes has robbed every single one of the writers, as well as their sole editor, who is a single mom with children to look after. They owe me money, won't re-stock my book, and they won't respond the hundreds of emails regarding their heinous unprofessionalism and total breach of contract. What can anyone say about a company like this? They don't care and they don't deserve to be defended here after the pain and suffering they've caused so many good people...

Canadian writer

Heather Matthews
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.heathermatthews.ca
I spoke to a pro bono legal organization today, and things are looking good. I have lots of documentation and supporting evidence linking the company with various abuses and breaches of contract. I think it is time someone actually sued the company, so I'm going to attempt to do that in the very near future. I suggest others do the same...

Last edited:

Canadian writer

Heather Matthews
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.heathermatthews.ca
Our family makes too much money for pro bono, I'm going to have to pay for a lawyer. BTW, Denise Mosley has been hiding in plain sight on Facebook under the name Jawana Mosley, and the mysterious "Joyce C." (one of their staffers) is also there under the name Joyce Carter. This isn't speculation, I've cross referenced with Myspace etc. and they are indeed Denise and Joyce from Cacoethes.

Canadian writer

Heather Matthews
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.heathermatthews.ca
Last edited:

rosemaryp

Registered
Reaction score
I prepared the royalty statements, I preapred the tax returns both for the company and the individual owners. I answered any questions the authors had. I had no power to pay or send any payments at all.

rosemaryp

Registered
Reaction score
Rosemary, if you did the statements they were never mailed out. I'm glad you at least got paid because we certainly didn't. We never even got a statement!

I still have them if you would to receive and have an idea of what is owed to you.

Terie

Writer is as Writer does
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.teriegarrison.com
That would be nice but it wouldn't do anyone any good. Denise has probably spent the money already on somthing else.

If you can get a copy of your statement, though, you should, because you can possibly claim a loss on your taxes. Not getting paid income owed is claimable, I believe. Consult a qualified tax accountant or the IRS to be sure, though.

Lightbane

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for your help guys! Mailing my certified mail contract terminators today, knew something was up with them when they continually refused to answer my emails

c2ckim

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thereadersretreat.com
good luck getting any kind of response from Denise! She hasn't responded to anyone for almost a year. They left me hanging a year ago with a book signing and then turned around and blamed me! I was at the book store on time but Denise didn't show up for over an hour. It was only then I found out Janice was in hospital but I didn't know the name of the contact person or what was going on. That's just plain bad professionalizm on Cacoethes part. I had no idea what was going on and why there wasn't someone there. oh well, I learned my lessons as to what not to do to someone else. I wouldn't treat my enemy the same way they treated their authors.

Canadian writer

Heather Matthews
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.heathermatthews.ca
I had an email interaction with Joyce C. at Facebook, she gave me the runaround (of course). It would be comical if it weren't so sad. I know several Caco writers, including c2ckim ;) who've managed to move on despite the terrible experience of writing for these thieves. I have to say, it feels so good to work for other publishers. :)

It's really amazing that a publisher can rip off so many (of thousands of dollars), and fail to deliver products, but various government entities won't intervene to help. I sent so many letters...it's sad. I see other publishers continuing to do the same thing to newbie writers. However, karma tends to win out in the end :)

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
c2ckim, I think that CaoPaux's point is that Cacoethes seems to be pretty definitively closed for business, seeing that all of its actual websites are gone, leaving only the several-years-out-of-date and vestigial Freewebs site still even on the Internet.