• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Cacoethes Publishing House, LLC

Appalachian Writer

Somewhere in the hills....
Registered
Reaction score
Just a little quick research doesn't tell me much. They publish. Some of the cover art seems okay, not the best I've seen. There's a lot of books, but apparently the word means the love of rushing into print (according to one comment). I'd do a little more research into their authors. Maybe google a couple or check them out on Amazon and then maybe Borders or Barnes and Noble. Wish I could help, but I'm a little rushed this A.M.

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
"Cacoethes" means "overwhelming desire" with a negative connotation (it's often used about things like an addicted person's desire for their substance of abuse).

"Cacoethes Scribendi," which means the rash, overwhelming desire to write, is the title of a satirical poem by Oliver Wendell Holmes.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
When they first opened the wanted rights for length of copyright, but changed that later. They have been flying under my radar since then.

matdonna

matushka at large
Registered
Reaction score
Website
rafterssriptorium.blogspot.com
"Cacoethes" means "overwhelming desire" with a negative connotation (it's often used about things like an addicted person's desire for their substance of abuse).

"Cacoethes Scribendi," which means the rash, overwhelming desire to write, is the title of a satirical poem by Oliver Wendell Holmes.

Heh. Without knowing the reference, my first guess was that it meant "bad ethics".

Not meaning to accuse them of such, mind you-- I know nothing about them. As I have only a modicum of Greek, that's just the way the word struck me....

Julie Worth

What? I have a title?
Registered
Reaction score
Is this a typical POD publisher?

Mostly e-books. They have three paperbacks listed on Amazon, two of which are "temporarily out of stock." One reviewer mentioned poor editing, which probably means no editing.

Lisamer

Registered
Reaction score
One reviewer mentioned poor editing, which probably means no editing.

This was the impression I got. They accepted a really early version of a partial on my novel. However, they wanted all future rights to my characters, which was a deal breaker for me. I also did not like all of the erotica on their web page. Don't get me wrong. There's nothing wrong with erotica. Yet while my book had some sensual scenes, I did not want it to be associated with bodice busters.

PS: Looking back at the version I sent them: It was truly awful!:eek:

shawnrohrbach

Registered
Reaction score
Cacoethes Publishing

Cacoethes accepted my manuscript and my novel "Playing the Game" is to be released Tuesday, April 15. When I first submitted, I was leary of small, new publishing houses, especially e-publishers. My previous experience with such houses was tainted by "Instantaneous acceptance" which meant that had not read my submission. Cacoethes read the five chapters i sent, commented on them and then sent a contract. Many of the issues you point out in these postings, such as length of rights, seem to have been ironed out. I have been published by four houses and the contracts seem to be pretty much the same. My lawyer saw no problem with the contract. The editing process was grueling but professional; the editor assigned to my book had about 200 plus changes she suggested; some major and many very minor "proofing" errors. She dug her heels in on about fifteen and I let her win, she has a good eye for detail. On the one hand, money is not poured into the design, but I am happy with my cover and the proofs. It's a thriller and not the Great American Novel, so I am happy with their press quality. It is as good or better than the non-fiction books I have written for bigger and more established publishers. On the plus side, these people are strong on markleting; portions of my novel were bound into a collection of samples and given out to attendees at the Golden Globe and Academy Awards. So far, I am happy with them even though they are making small company mistakes. It's better than the whopper mistakes made by a major house with nameless drones in New York on one of my non-fiction works. My book is going to be released as soft cover and electronic. I work in a large university and I would esitmate that 30% of the students here read electronic books rather than tote around bags of hard cover books, so i am happy with the growth in that market segment. Feel free to hit me up with questions.

www.shawnrohrbach.com

priceless1

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.behlerpublications.com
For their print books, do they have any distribution beyond Ingram/Baker & Taylor?
Newp. I could only find one book that's available in iPage, and Lightning Source is listed as their "distributor."

From shawnrohrbach
Cacoethes accepted my manuscript and my novel "Playing the Game" is to be released Tuesday, April 15...On the plus side, these people are strong on markleting
Sean, I looked up your title. If it's being released next Tuesday, one would think your book would be listed in Amazon and Ingram. As is, there is nothing to bear out that your book exists other than going to Cacoethes' website. If they are as strong on marketing as you say they are, they're showing it in a rather odd way.

I am happy with them even though they are making small company mistakes...It's better than the whopper mistakes made by a major house
I think not making your book available anywhere is a rather big mistake. Everyone knows that mistakes are made, but major houses at least have the books on the shelves. I can't imagine why you're okay with this.

jamiehall

Bereaved Snarkling
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamiehall.org
On the plus side, these people are strong on markleting; portions of my novel were bound into a collection of samples and given out to attendees at the Golden Globe and Academy Awards.

I have the same concerns as priceless1. Such a thing wouldn't help if your book doesn't get listed in the proper places when it is released. Has your release date perhaps been delayed?

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
My previous experience with such houses was tainted by "Instantaneous acceptance" which meant that had not read my submission. Cacoethes read the five chapters i sent, commented on them and then sent a contract.
IMHO, offering a contract after reading only five chapters is kissing-cousin to instantaneous acceptance.

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
If it's being released next Tuesday, one would think your book would be listed in Amazon and Ingram.

It's not on Barnes and Noble.com, either.

Shawn's books from Dreamtime and Goldenbear are on both sites, though. I'm not familiar with either of these presses, but the cover of the Dreamtime book looks quite attractive.

shawnrohrbach

Registered
Reaction score
CaoPaux/Cacoethes/Instantneous acceptance

Amazing cynicism. Good luck CaoPaux.

Sheryl Nantus

Holding out for a Superhero...
Registered
Reaction score
Brownsville, Pennsylvania. Or New Babbage, Second
Website
www.sherylnantus.com
Hopefully your lawyer has publishing experience.

For their print books, do they have any distribution beyond Ingram/Baker & Taylor?

- Victoria

if your publisher doesn't have an actual distributor beyond warehousing it at B&T and Ingram's, look forward to a slow and uphill slog. Unless you make personal contact with bookstores it's unlikely your book will make it onto shelves - there's no one to let them know it exists.

shawnrohrbach

Registered
Reaction score
No one knows you exist....

.....until you tell them. It's funny, posting something here that was not well received, like a positive comment about a new publisher, resulted in 253 visits to me web site and about 100 subsequent hits to that publisher from my web site. My tracking software did not pick up on the direct hits to the publisher. I'll take that kind of exposure any day.

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
.....until you tell them. It's funny, posting something here that was not well received, like a positive comment about a new publisher

Shawn, are you not concerned that your book isn't up on Amazon.com or Barnes and Noble.com, even though it's supposed to be released tomorrow?

Because my micropress book was up on Amazon and BN several weeks before its release, and there were just four of us involved in that project. So it's not that I'm holding Cacoethes to the standards of the big publishers I've written for, who have lots of people to deal with this stuff--I've been on the micropublisher side of the desk as well, and it's actually not that difficult to get the listings up in a timely manner.

I would give Cacoethes a pass, and encourage others to do so, based on that alone.

Also, Shawn? Did you write a book for Menasha Ridge about bicycling in San Diego? Because if that's you, the good news is that they have it up on Amazon well before the November release--the bad news is that they've misspelled your last name on the cover and in the listing.

Last edited:

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
My small press book will be published in June and has been up at Amazon et al for months. It is something authors should look for.

Also don't be too sure that all exposure is good exposure. I checked them out after reading this thread mainly because I run a publisher warnings site. I list this publisher and didn't see enough to justify a warning as yet but it has put a question mark against them in my own mind.

Richard White

Stealthy Plot Bunny Peddler
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcwhite.com
Also, never confuse visits to a web site with customers. Hits do not automatically translate to sales.

I've been to the Publish America web site dozens of times. I'm as likely to become one of their authors as I am to get elected President of Zimbabwe.

shawnrohrbach

Registered
Reaction score
to IceCreamEmpress

Thanks. Menahsa is a big house and they make small mistakes, or something like that. I had not noticed the misspell, and have been in touch with them. I am concerned about the fact that "Playing the Game" is not available tonight through regular channels. I called the Dir of Publicity and we had a "long" conversation. It seems the "resale" function on Amazon, something long despised by writers because it allows people to sell used copies and not benefit the author on the sale, is a sticking point. Also it is a small, new publishing house making all the small new publishing house mistakes. And, having made the decision to go with them on "Playing the Game", I got flamed here on this site but I am made of titanium and it takes a hot torch to smoke my hide. I think I read somewhere in a book about Hemingway that the MS for "For Whom the Bells Toll" was simply lost and they missed three release dates. Please correct me if I am wrong here. As our esteemed President Reagan used to say "Mistakes were made". Cheers.

shawnrohrbach

Registered
Reaction score
To Richard White

Actually, you can track site visits versus simple hits. Visits go deep and typically end in action, hopefully purchases. I track visits and not hits, really, and take great care to track successful sales. If I said "hits" in my posting, I meant "visits". I also track DoS attacks.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
The point wasn't about confusing hits with visits, but visits with sales.

So Cacoethes refuses to use Amazon because they list second hand copies? That seems a bit like like cutting of one's sales to spite the resale market. Unless of course they make 1000s of sales from their own site and are happy with that.

I report sales figures for many presses including this one (although none of their authors have obliged me by sending data yet). I can only hope you will prove my scepticism wrong by reporting sales with four or more digits a year from now. Otherwise avoiding distributors is a bit like saying 'if I can't sell this book, nobody can'.