How to find time to write, by Autodidact.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
Live simply, so you don't have to work a demanding day job.

No kids? Well, it does help a lot, but some of you have to reproduce to keep the species going, and good writers reproducing will keep up the intellect/imagination level in the gene pool. :)

Mod35tBabe

Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Heh, better:
I remember, once, when my internet was down (oh, the horrible three days), I managed to write over ten thousand words. It was vacation time and I had nothing else to do without the internet.
I once had the power cut off at my house while they... I dunno replaced the pole or something... anyway it was the first day of Nanowrimo so I took my laptop (bad battery, lasts approx 6 mins) to my aunt's and wrote 7000 words in 4 hours. There was no internet, no animals, no tv, no people because my aunt lives alone and had an appointment that took up most of the 4 hours - I'd never written 7000 in such a short time before, nor have I since. However I find it much easier because I knew there was no internet to distract myself with - at home I know it's there so I use it and I doubt unplugging it would work because I just bet I'd go "ooh better research that, better logon and go to google" and be distracted for the next hour.

Jenan Mac

The Deadliest Bunny
Registered
Reaction score
Live simply, so you don't have to work a demanding day job.

No kids? Well, it does help a lot, but some of you have to reproduce to keep the species going, and good writers reproducing will keep up the intellect/imagination level in the gene pool. :)

There we go-- that's my excuse for the four kids: Literacy Eugenics. I knew there had to be some reason for them.:D

steveg144

Crusty Polemicist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
CrustyPolemicist.blogspot.com
You just let your housework go all to hell. You're welcome.

Bah. Ship your wife off to Cozumel for a week for her birthday present. Lock the cats in the outside storage room. Take a bat to the wireless router so your laptop can't get to the internet (also known as "the black hole that consumes a writer's time"). Pour yourself a stiff Maker's Mark and water. Right, you're all set. Get to work!

steveg144

Crusty Polemicist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
CrustyPolemicist.blogspot.com
Just wake up earlier.

True fact. I worked on a disastrous, large-scale software project back in my youth. Things were so bad that they hung a big banner (made from a bedsheet, with the words written in what appeared to be iodine) over the entrance to the campus cafeteria. The sign read:

SLEEP IS FOR THE WEAK

Words to live by. And maybe die by, but at least you will have truly lived first.

Status
Not open for further replies.