Rejected by my own crit partners...!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If you have a crit partner who will be honest yet kind, then showing a snippet or two can be good since it can help you find a problem before it 'poisons' the rest of the story. However, I tend to agree that waiting until you have at least a first draft in hand is a good idea.

It is tough to get a harsh crit, I know that first hand. Allow yourself a moment or two with your comfort food of choice, then look at the crit itself with a critical eye. Are all members of the group pointing out the same thing? If not, then it may be personal tastes and not real problems with the story.

Good luck, and keep writing! :)

Keyan

ubiquitous
Registered
Reaction score
Oh yeah...the working title is 'Solomon's Knight.' I'm almost afraid to give it away! It has nothing to do with Knights Templar of the Temple of Solomon, btw. The theme is religious intolerance, a father's heart, and mixed-faith romance.

I know that's more than just the title you asked for. Thanks for asking.

Sounds fascinating! Go for it. That's a good theme.

bylinebree

Still Seeking the Dream
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.breedavison.wordpress.com
I'm not sure I'm very good for giving advice on this as I've not taken up my WIP again after it received really terrible crits, but the way I'm looking on it is eventually I'll get over the embarrassment and my love for the story and setting will re-emerge despite how tainted it feels after the crit experience. My problem at the moment is I can't look at my work without remembering the things that were said and it's stopping me doing anything to it. What I've done is to just shelve the thing for now and I'm working on something else, something I do not intend to show to anyone until the very last. As I said, I'm sure eventually I'll get back into the mood for the other abandoned story, as most WIPs I shelve eventually bite me to get written again.

Maybe you could go back to things that inspired you in the first place? I know I have certain lists of songs and certain movies that get me in the mood for different WIPs, and whenever I take out an old project, I watch whatever I used to watch when I was working on it or play the albums I used to listen to. It really works to fire up my enthusiasm again. And maybe get a wider range of opinions, or else say to your group that what you're interested in is suggestions as to how to improve rather than just it being ripped apart. There's a difference between someone saying 'your story is really boring' and 'you could use more action in that scene.' If you let them know more specifically what you're looking for help on, maybe that'd work.

Thou are a fount of wisdom and honest sharing-ness. I share thy pain.

A few comments on what you said:
*At least I only READ what they said and didn't hear it; I think hearing it would have upset my creative apple-cart even more. Read my next 'general to everyone' post to see what I've done in regards to their comments.
*Their comments varied to 'you haven't made me care even after 200 pgs' to 'I just love this story, put in more history.'

Now, about you feeling tainted...I'm sorry to hear that! Distance yourself from their critiques since they wounded so deeply. Vent in writing and get re-inspired with that story that you love.
Best wishes to you!

bylinebree

Still Seeking the Dream
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.breedavison.wordpress.com
Ok, here's what I'm doing to get the fire back!

Usually after I get hurt, I get mad (I'm an Aries; what can I say?)

So here's what I did and am doing to get back into the saddle, set my apple cart upright again, take out my pen: I got mad. Then constructive.

1. I read the discouraging comments again, tightening up my gut in an appropriately defensive manner. I then wrote a response to the ones that could have some merit, in BOLD, and did it quickly. This hurt less than ruminating over the stuff. But what I wrote is only for ME, not their eyes (some of it wasn't pretty or very nice but it sure made me feel better LOL!) I simply ignored all the other comments, shoving them to a dark little corner of my mind.

2. I've thought about how to share more specifically, at our next meeting, the kind of critique I need on this first draft. General comments, nothing too nit-picky. Keep them to a minimum. Haven't figured out whether or not to tell me how it affected me, but I probably will -- I tend to not hide my feelings very well (also being an Aries...)

3. I've filed away their critiques until I'm done, keeping only the HUGE issues (like adding depth to the MC) in mind. Way, in the back of my mind though.

4. With my own discouraging experience, I am now changing my own tactics in critting their work - being a bit less nit-picky with THEIR first drafts. Too bad one has to experience pain in order to learn compassion!

StoryMonkey

Registered
Reaction score
I'm here to echo what everyone else has said. Letting people crit a first draft is like throwing your baby to the dingos. Wait until it grows up a little.

This quote cracked me up, because it seemed to be advocating throwing toddlers to dingos.

Ahh, well that IS what crit's feel like, isn't it?

Shweta

Sick and absent
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shwetanarayan.org
What I've found really useful for the novel while it's in first draft is asking:
a) for general impressions (how did people feel about the chapter)
and
b) specific questions. (e.g. is this bit confusing, any ideas how I could make it less so, does that part make emotional sense). I only do this if I really the information to go on.

This does mean that commenting on my story doesn't take my crit group long, which is a good thing. I don't want anyone to waste time on line edits when I might end up ditching the chapter entirely. We're all on board with the "only encouragement until it's done" philosophy; we're mostly keeping up with one another's novels so we have sounding boards when we run into problems. And that does help, I think.

Saundra Julian

A work in progress
Registered
Reaction score
I agree with all the others...no critique on a first draft.

In fact I won't even give a critique on a first draft, it's not fair to either party!

Dollywagon

Registered
Reaction score
Just because I'm boring I'll agree with everybody else.

Sharing a first draft with a whole bunch of people is like starting to decorate your lounge and when you've got the paintwork sanded, the paper stripped and the carpet covered with cloth, inviting the neighbours in and asking them what they think ...

The only time I share a first draft is with one person and to ask them if the premise is making sense, anything other than that just ends up with energy being wasted on defensive actions rather than getting the job done.

... and if ever I need reminding, S. King, On Writing, Page 187

Status
Not open for further replies.