Status
Not open for further replies.

inkkognito

Onlyifyouwanttowillyoufin daway-Enya
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbnefer.com
Just got a rejection from Angels on Earth that was so upbeat it actually made me feel warm and fuzzy! The preprinted part was cheerful enough (representative excerpts below):

"...we can only publish one out of 250 stories we receive. That means we can't use 249 perfectly wonderful stories! Hopefully, you will feel a closer of the Angels on Earth family now that you've shared a special segment of your life with us. We are sorry we can't share it with the rest of the family."

Then there was a handwritten note: "Dear Barbara, Thanks so much (with so underlined!) for submitting this."

Whew! This is the first time that a reject actually cheered me up.

Julie Worth

What? I have a title?
Registered
Reaction score
...we can only publish one out of 250 stories we receive. That means we can't use 249 perfectly wonderful stories!

This would bring out my cynical side. I'd see it as a variant of "you are all winners!" and never submit to them again.

inkkognito

Onlyifyouwanttowillyoufin daway-Enya
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbnefer.com
This would bring out my cynical side. I'd see it as a variant of "you are all winners!" and never submit to them again.
Yeah, that's the funny thing. Even though I couldn't help but be cheered, the handwritten comments weren't as meaningful because it felt like they were just a part of the upbeatness vs. a real interest in my work. Somehow when an editor jots encouragement on an otherwise "cold" rejection, it is more inspiring. It was a feel-good to read, but I probably won't submit again.

Status
Not open for further replies.