Advice - My author photo...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Star

So cool I am
Registered
Reaction score
Greetings Fellow Writers,

I'm on a roll today. This is the most I've ever posted here in one day. Woo-hoo! Somebody stop me! *peering around for moderators*

Okay. So my novel is coming out in trade paperback. I've done my research on author photos. Most authors opted for a professional background, some pix have been taken outdoors, some against a brick wall, etc.

Anybody have any recommendations for the best background? (I'm not hiring a professional photographer.) All suggestions are appreciated. :)

Ol' Fashioned Girl

Hand? What hand?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferdahl.com
Actually, I'm no expert on author photos... but I like the ones with outdoor settings. A lot depends on your coloring, what you're wearing, etc., as well as whether you're going for a closeup or an upper torso...

I'd say take a bunch in different settings, different clothes, different color combinations and go with what YOU like. Or pick out two or three and let them make the choice.

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
I'd recommend, if you can afford it, hiring a professional photographer. This photograph will not only be on your book, but will be used for all publicity etc. We live in a very visual time, and people want to see what authors look like now. It is well worth the investment, and remember it is tax deductible.

Barring that I don't think it much matters too much if you are indoors or outdoors, but do try to make the picture look as natural as possible. Try to wear solid darker colours, no stripes or anything, make sure the shirt you are wearing has a nice neckline that exposes some skin, a turtle neck or a very little neckline creates this block of colour with the shirt that add pounds and is a bit formidable - a nice V neck is lovely. Avoid if you can the cheesy poses, especially those ones where people are leaning on their hands in some way. If you are not hiring a professional, I would recommend taking the photograph outside as the lighting is much better, though late afternoon light is often less harsh than at noon. Look through author photos you like, and try to emulate them. Wear makeup, but not overwhelming, stick to tones that match your skin and highlight the eyes and lips. Unless of course you are trying to make a statement with your look, natural is best.

And please do not go to glamour shots! :)

Last edited:

Star

So cool I am
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Ol Fashion Girl & Toothpaste!

Great tips.

Toothpaste, it's not so much the expense. More about the finished product. I'd hate to pay someone with the chance of being disappointed.

Since I have a digital camera, and my editor says the only requirement is 300 dpi, why not give it a whirl? If it doesn't work, I'll surely hire a professional! :)

Prevostprincess

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.queenoftheroadthebook.com
I urge you to hire a pro. Yes, you can probably do a decent job on your own, but how will you know you couldn't have done much better? It's also nice to have several shots up on your website for any media to choose from. Since it's not about the money, hire the pro, see what they did and if you aren't thrilled, then try it yourself (it's MUCH harder than you might think).

Before you hire someone, make sure this is the kind of thing they do (ie portraits/author photos) and look at their portfolio.

Are you in CO? If so, I can recommend an EXCELLENT one.

Will Lavender

Everything is what it seems.
Registered
Reaction score
Jerry Bauer did mine.

Tremendous photograph. He actually shot the photo in front of a graffiti-strewn wall in Chelsea. You can't tell by the dust jacket, but if you look at the photo in its original size it's pretty cool.

As cool as you can make a guy who smiles like a weasel.

I think it's like writing: a good photo is a good photo. The picture's going to be shrunken so much that the background will likely be incidental, so I wouldn't sweat it. I'd get the best photographer you can get without paying an arm and a leg.

timewaster

present
Registered
Reaction score
Anybody have any recommendations for the best background? (I'm not hiring a professional photographer.) All suggestions are appreciated. :)[/quote]

I have had a few done professionally but I'm very tense in front of a camera.
The best one I ever had done was one my husband took of me in a mirror.
I couldn't see the camera and so didn't panic and the reflected light was kind to my wrinkles.

(it's on my website http://www.nmbrowne.com)

bluntforcetrauma

Esquire
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I say just go with something that suits your personality. Remember, you will have to look at that pic forever. And Congrats!

bluntforcetrauma

Esquire
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Somebody say 'moderators'? :)

Simpsons_Scream_Lo.jpg

Prevostprincess

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.queenoftheroadthebook.com
You can get a photographer that will do your hair and makeup for you. Many do, as did mine - she was wonderful. You can see the pictures here, if you like. (I'm a makeup idiot - so really needed the help. Although, I did my own hair - yay me!)

Also, re feeling uncomfortable in front of the camera: For my first author photo 10 years ago, I really did, and it showed (even though I had a pro shooting me). For this one, I tried someone else and she was wonderful. I cannot at all explain how she put me at ease, or why the photos turned out so much better. I'll leave that to the photog pros to explain. I also haven't a clue how you figure that out before you hire someone. Although... one possible difference: For this current shoot, we did it at my home. For my first one, we did it at a studio. Maybe being at home, going through my closet with her for stuff to wear (kind of a fun, girly thing anyway), rather than just going to an unfamiliar studio made something of a difference. But also, I had seen her portfolio and was struck by the intimacy and beauty of the photographs. (The first one, I just got a recommendation from another author.)

dreamsofnever

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kellyguentner.com
I don't think there's a need to hire a professional, but it might not be a bad idea. Chances are, if you ask around, someone will know a good photographer. The best part about having a professional is that they can help you figure out what background/pose/facial expression would best represent you.

As for the background, I would say that you need to remember the point of the picture, and that is to showcase you. So whatever background you pick should not be so interesting or complex that it distracts from your face. Basically it should complement you and frame you nicely. Personally though, I'm a big fan of outdoor pictures vs. indoors, but indoors can be quite nice. Really, it's a matter of what draws your eye most, because it's YOUR picture so it should reflect your tastes.

Good luck with your photos and congrats on the trade paperback!

Toothpaste

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
The whole makeup thing is one reason I get the professional photographer. While I am pretty good at makeup, I don't know a lot about makeup for photographs. For that reason I had a makeup artist with my photographer. Now granted they were also actor headshots, but they work well as author ones. Check them out, I was wearing a fair amount of makeup but it looks like almost nothing in the photos: here.

ishtar'sgate

living in the past
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.linneaheinrichs.com
I can't stand the studio photo on my book. My website photo is casual, taken by my son and I like it much better. Next time I'm going with him!
Linnea

Susan B

Accordion Dreams
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.blairkilpatrick.com
I can't stand the studio photo on my book. My website photo is casual, taken by my son and I like it much better. Next time I'm going with him!
Linnea

I ended up doing the same thing! My agent wanted an author photo when she started submitting the proposal, so I had my son, a college student, do some casual shots, me with my accordion. (It's the subject of my memoir, so it does fit.)

I considered my son a little beyond amateur. At the time he was an editor at the UC-Berkeley daily student paper and had also begun to do some sports photography, even had some of his photos picked up the wire services.

So he borrowed the fancy camera from the paper. I put on lots more makeup than usual, coached him about avoiding unflattering angles for a middle-aged mom :) It was about as relaxing as such a basically awkward undertaking can be.

I actually liked the first shots, thought I looked sort of pensive...like a writer. But my agent thought I needed to look "happier." So we tried again.
We came up with a "smiling" shot we all liked.

And now that I have a publisher, it turns out they like my son's photo, too. So that's what they'll be using.

You can see the photo in the link below. I like it because it looks natural, it "fits" the book--and I get to credit my son:)

Hillary

Neural Trailblazer
Registered
Reaction score
I'll say professional too, unless you are truly in love with an amateur candid shot of yourself... Nothing would suck more than walking into a big book signing and seeing a LARGE banner with a larger-than-life picture of yourself hanging over you! (Happened to my mother, and boy was she glad she'd had professional shots done!)

Like everyone else said, these pictures can get used a lot - in newspapers, press kits, on banners for signings, etc. etc. etc.

Above all, just make sure YOU don't mind seeing it a lot.

Star

So cool I am
Registered
Reaction score
For those of you who shared your author photos, you're beautiful!

For those of you who gave me congrats on my trade paperback, you're beautiful!

Thank you so much guys. You gave me a lot to think about. Sigh.

By the way, last month, my editor asked me for a photo to include in a catalogue. As some of you may know by now, I don't ask a whole lot of questions. So...I'm not thrilled with the amatuer photo I sent her, but she says it looks okay. Who will see these catalogues, and do you think it's ok for me to request one?

Toothpaste

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
My publishers always sends me a copy of the catalogue. In fact, lol, my editor's assistant now understands that every Kress must have their own copy (parents, grandparents etc), so he sends me several of them. I am sure they would have no problem sending you one.

Catalogues are usually seen by bookbuyers, ie the buyers at Barnes and Noble, etc, as well as smaller stores. They aren't usually meant for the layman, but they are handed out at conferences and conventions, so definitely some random people may get one. Also sometimes publishers put them on their websites to download. But they are mostly used as a selling tool.

Susan B

Accordion Dreams
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.blairkilpatrick.com
For those of you who shared your author photos, you're beautiful!

For those of you who gave me congrats on my trade paperback, you're beautiful!

Thank you so much guys. You gave me a lot to think about. Sigh.

By the way, last month, my editor asked me for a photo to include in a catalogue. As some of you may know by now, I don't ask a whole lot of questions. So...I'm not thrilled with the amatuer photo I sent her, but she says it looks okay. Who will see these catalogues, and do you think it's ok for me to request one?

Very exciting, about your book!

As for the catalog, I know that my publisher, a university press, includes their catalog as a PDF file on their website. Probably more common with smaller presses.

hammerklavier

It was a dark and stormy night
Registered
Reaction score
You probably know someone with an SLR type digital camera who's into photography who will do it for free.

As to the setting, that depends on the image you want to portray as an author with regards to the subject of your book. If it's a gritty crime novel then against a brick wall would be good. If it's a romance then get a glamour shot. Don't get too carried away however, you can always go with a plain background.

Star

So cool I am
Registered
Reaction score
All of this luv and support got me tearing up. Thanks guys.:cry:

Yeshanu

Elf Queen
Registered
Reaction score
I'm on a roll today. This is the most I've ever posted here in one day. Woo-hoo! Somebody stop me! *peering around for moderators*

Don't expect them to do anything. Some of them have posted more in one day than you've posted in your entire history here... :tongue

(I used to be a mod, so I know these things...)

As for your question, I'd definitely go with the pro.

You probably know someone with an SLR type digital camera who's into photography who will do it for free.

To me, this is kind of like saying, "You probably know someone with a computer who can whip up an advertising pamphlet or poster for free."

Pros come with a lot of training, and they have the equipment to make you look good. Unless you know a really good amateur photographer with excellent equipment, asking a friend to do this sort of thing is like asking a friend to your advertising copy for you. And you'll quite possibly get the same results.

IReidandWrite

Registered
Reaction score
Gonna hijack the thread here, hope ya don't mind! :D

My appearance is not going to change radically in the next, say, 5 years. (It's really not.) Could I use my senior pictures as my author photo?

Status
Not open for further replies.