The Ongoing Hellocopter Adventures

Kevin Yarbrough

Will write for peace of mind
Registered
Reaction score
I wonder what would happen if a hospital told Willie that he could land his copter there and come visit the kids? Would he land? Would he have a camera crew and cards on hand? I don't think he would. He would probably send the hospital a tone letter.

"How dare you allow us to land on your helipad!!! Don't you know that an emergency could have arisen and they medivac helicopter would not have had a place to land?! And allowing us to visit sick children? Don't you know that is an invasion of hosptial protocol and not to mention violation of the patients rights?! I, sir, demand an appology from you in writing and your resignation. I will be awaiting the letter.

Sincerely,
Willem"

BarbJ

Registered
Reaction score
I Just finished reading this thread. And I was eating dinner, too. I feel sick.

Ya gotta admit, PA makes it hard to figure if they're completely clueless or arrogantly avaricious, endlessly conniving, and unfailingly without regard for others, sans morals, ethics and consideration. I guess they could be merely stupid ... but they're getting rich being so.

If, when I was a kid in the hospital, some stranger had shown up with a thunder of helicopter blades, surrounded by cameras and false cheer (kids aren't stupid), to hand me a card written by another stranger, I would have started screaming for my mother. Especially if I discovered the card was written by yet another stranger who knew nothing about me or why I was there, but did it for a free lunch and appearing on film. And now in an orphanage? "So sorry you don't have any parents. Have a card. Now smile for the camera."

Yeah. You care, Willem. Shut up and donate the money; the kids need it a lot more than they need a publicity gig and tax write off for you.

CatSlave

Mah tale iz draggin.
Registered
Reaction score
I Just finished reading this thread. And I was eating dinner, too. I feel sick....

Yeah. You care, Willem. Shut up and donate the money; the kids need it a lot more than they need a publicity gig and tax write off for you.
Amen to that, Sister.

Sparhawk

Jenna's Cabana Boy
Registered
Reaction score
I Just finished reading this thread. And I was eating dinner, too. I feel sick.

Ya gotta admit, PA makes it hard to figure if they're completely clueless or arrogantly avaricious, endlessly conniving, and unfailingly without regard for others, sans morals, ethics and consideration. I guess they could be merely stupid ... but they're getting rich being so.

If, when I was a kid in the hospital, some stranger had shown up with a thunder of helicopter blades, surrounded by cameras and false cheer (kids aren't stupid), to hand me a card written by another stranger, I would have started screaming for my mother. Especially if I discovered the card was written by yet another stranger who knew nothing about me or why I was there, but did it for a free lunch and appearing on film. And now in an orphanage? "So sorry you don't have any parents. Have a card. Now smile for the camera."

Bravo... That sums it up perfectly.

Marie Pacha

Still a work in progress
Registered
Reaction score
Meiner's most recent post on the hellocopter site gives his opinion of trust.
http://www.hellocopter.org/blog.asp

"Sunday, April 06, 2008
What I'm getting at is that trust is all we have. Trust, confidence, faith, belief. It's something you exercise each and every day multiple times in a world that has multiple appearances. We trust gazillions of people that we have never even met, and dozens every day that we actually do meet without spending as much as a second quizzing them.
Are you certain that your doctor is really a doctor? Do you interview your anesthesiologist before you let him gas you? How can I be sure that the fuel guy at the Mexican airport who walks away with my Amex card so he can swipe it in a building that I have no access to, will actually return it? Is the barf on my plate really a Pakistani delicacy as advertised on Restaurant Himalaya's menu, and not barf?

The one and only reason why we say yes to those questions is not because our eyes can see, our ears can hear, or our noses can smell, but because we trust. We trust, believe, have faith an astonishing number of times per day. Something we were born with. If a baby wouldn't trust that it will make it through the day alive, despite the absence of any tools of self-sufficiency, it would hang itself at the first opportunity of reaching that cord with the cute little rabbits that's dangling from above. Trust is innate.

So if you do trust everyone else, why is it that you don't trust yourself in equal proportions, and then some?"

Now I personally don't agree that we are "born" with trust. It's something we learn from the caregivers and nurturers that surround us from birth on.

It's something that PA manages to destroy.

Sparhawk

Jenna's Cabana Boy
Registered
Reaction score
Meiner's most recent post on the hellocopter site gives his opinion of trust.
http://www.hellocopter.org/blog.asp

"Sunday, April 06, 2008
What I'm getting at is that trust is all we have. Trust, confidence, faith, belief. It's something you exercise each and every day multiple times in a world that has multiple appearances. We trust gazillions of people that we have never even met, and dozens every day that we actually do meet without spending as much as a second quizzing them.
Are you certain that your doctor is really a doctor? Do you interview your anesthesiologist before you let him gas you? How can I be sure that the fuel guy at the Mexican airport who walks away with my Amex card so he can swipe it in a building that I have no access to, will actually return it? Is the barf on my plate really a Pakistani delicacy as advertised on Restaurant Himalaya's menu, and not barf?

The one and only reason why we say yes to those questions is not because our eyes can see, our ears can hear, or our noses can smell, but because we trust. We trust, believe, have faith an astonishing number of times per day. Something we were born with. If a baby wouldn't trust that it will make it through the day alive, despite the absence of any tools of self-sufficiency, it would hang itself at the first opportunity of reaching that cord with the cute little rabbits that's dangling from above. Trust is innate.

So if you do trust everyone else, why is it that you don't trust yourself in equal proportions, and then some?"

Now I personally don't agree that we are "born" with trust. It's something we learn from the caregivers and nurturers that surround us from birth on.

It's something that PA manages to destroy.

What a bunch of drivel. Man this guy is such a fake. Take his prose and map it to Publish America and it's easy to see how full of cow poop he really is. Wow..... now I need popcorn AND a fresh cup of coffee.

Sparhawk

Jenna's Cabana Boy
Registered
Reaction score
1424161290.jpg
I wonder what THIS gem will go for? Will this be a freebie in the next great PA book special?

BarbJ

Registered
Reaction score
"Trust, confidence, faith, belief." I wonder if Willem realizes he named the top four words commonly used by con-men? :tongue

Some people's brains, if crammed into that of a gnat, wouldn't even give the bug a headache.

Khazarkhum

Registered
Reaction score
ESPN Radio had a spot where they were flying a helicopter over cities, dropping loads of commemorative baseball bats on the public.

Sheryl Nantus

Holding out for a Superhero...
Registered
Reaction score
Brownsville, Pennsylvania. Or New Babbage, Second
Website
www.sherylnantus.com
Wake me when they start dropping the live turkeys.

"As God is my witness, I didn't know that turkeys couldn't fly!"

sad thing is - I believed it.

imagine my fright when I came down to Pennsylvania and saw flocks of the suckers wing their way across the highway.

:D

Marie Pacha

Still a work in progress
Registered
Reaction score
Every now and then while morel mushroom hunting I would spook a turkey (and vice versa.) They don't fly far, but they take off with a LOT of noise.

PVish

Cat hair collector
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peevishpen.blogspot.com
Speaking of turkeys:

This hellocopter thing is perfect for delivering PA books written by all those PA authors who repeat the "I don't want to make money, I just want to be read" mantra and who are distressed that their books aren't getting "out."

For a special discount price (maybe 10% off cover), they can purchase books from PA who will "drop ship" the books free to unsuspecting potential readers, many of who might be too ill to protest.

Wonder why PA hasn't thought of this?

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score

Farm turkeys can't fly--they've been bred out of it, and their tiny wings won't support their huge bodies.

Wild turkeys, on the other hand, fly like a dream.

Khazarkhum

Registered
Reaction score
Speaking of turkeys:

This hellocopter thing is perfect for delivering PA books written by all those PA authors who repeat the "I don't want to make money, I just want to be read" mantra and who are distressed that their books aren't getting "out."

For a special discount price (maybe 10% off cover), they can purchase books from PA who will "drop ship" the books free to unsuspecting potential readers, many of who might be too ill to protest.

Wonder why PA hasn't thought of this?

I suggested that, too, but as was pointed out it would cost more than a dollar.

OTOH--they could fly the hellocopter to a hospital & shove the box of cards out as they hover near the children's ward. To make it fall better they use PA books as ballast. That way the cards are delivered & the hospital gets more books.

To participate, a PA author must buy 5-10 of their books & donate them back to PA for the cause. While buying an approved Hellocopter card isn't required, it will guarantee that your book will be fitted into the box like a glove.

Sparhawk

Jenna's Cabana Boy
Registered
Reaction score

imagine my fright when I came down to Pennsylvania and saw flocks of the suckers wing their way across the highway.

:D

I remember that line from WKRP in Cincinatti when Les Nessman was doing a paroady of the Hindenburg as the radio station dropped live turkeys from a helocopter.