• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Marquis Who's Who

jdkiggins

Troubled-Talks with animals.
Registered
Reaction score
The "Dead Zone" in PA. (The state.) All lit up and
Website
home.comcast.net
Marquis Who’s Who of American Women. Does anyone have any information on this?

I’ve seen the Marquis Who’s Who, but yesterday today received a mailing from the New Providence, NJ mailing address stating “the Marquis Who’s Who editors are pleased to inform you that your biography is being considered for the special 25th Silver Anniversary Edition of Who’s Who of American Women, scheduled for publication in November 2005.”

I have no clue how they got my name or my personal information. Everything from my schooling, colleges attended, marriages, and a list of accomplishments dating back to 1972, etc., is listed in a profile I’m asked to approve. They even have my middle name correctly spelled and the correct married names of my daughters.

Is this something I should toss or return with the information verified?

Uncle Jim, you out there?

Joanne

jdkiggins

Registered
Reaction score
Website
home.comcast.net
Richard,

There was a card with a 30% off savings for either The Classic or The Leather-Bound Deluxe editions. But the letter also stated "there is never a fee or obligation of any kind for inclusion in the publication".

No way I'd spend the $190 or $250 for either edition.

I'm still wondering what makes them think my name is worth adding and how they obtainted all this information.

Richard

13th Triskaidekaphobe
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcobbett.co.uk
It's worth including because they found the information they needed in the records, and they don't need everyone to pony up the ludicrous cost to find enough suckers willing to make it worth their while doing the mailshot. It's an age-old scam, more often targeting parents by including their kids, but that's not important.

mommie4a

Mother of All Addictions
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jillmillerzimon.com
I got the same thing about three months ago. I still have it somewhere, thinking that I'd fill it out and send it in, but I haven't yet. I also would never buy the thing.

Weird story though: When I used to work in fundraising, we'd look up prospective donors in all the Who's Whos. One day, I was doing that and saw my uncle's name in there, with information I knew wasn't true! I called my mother and said, "Uncle so and so didn't really go to [fill in an Ivy League school], did he?" because I was pretty sure he'd skipped college altogether. Turns out I was right and it was just what he'd written in.

Now, that was 20 years ago. I don't know what kind of checking is done these days. I'm sure Joanne and I would be honest, and many other entrants are honest too. But...there's always that one uncle...

So I'm not rushing to send in my info, but I'm really glad Joanne asked about this.

Anyone else able to shed light??

jdkiggins

Registered
Reaction score
Website
home.comcast.net
Hmmm. Wonder why they didn't list "SUCKER" in the profile?

Does that mean that most of the listings in all these Marquis Who's Who books are insignificant suckers?

Thanks Jill, for the story about the Ivy League uncle. Makes me wonder about the entire publication now.

mommie4a

Mother of All Addictions
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jillmillerzimon.com
jdkiggins: Makes me wonder about the entire publication now.

Me too, Joanne. And so now, when I see it on anyone's resume or c.v., I discount it automatically because of what I learned about my uncle, even if his was an aberation. It would be interesting to know for sure, but I don't know how we find that out??

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
I'm sure they list you whether you reply or not. Their deal is selling overpriced books to the people who are listed -- the same scam as poetry.com.

Fill it out, or toss the pitch, doesn't make any difference. But if you write them a check I'll come to your house and mock you in person.

They obtained the information from public records and databases, and they have some kind of demographic profile of "person most likely to fall for this nonsense," which is why you got one.

Last edited:

Richard

13th Triskaidekaphobe
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcobbett.co.uk
I don't know Marquis specifically, but surely if they're asking you for information, it's not so much 'Who's Who' as 'Who the heck are you?'. If nothing else, those prices mean instant vanity book territory. Looking up a plumber or a physician, perhaps - who but the included people and some very rich bachelors are going to look for a random American woman in such a book?

jdkiggins

Registered
Reaction score
Website
home.comcast.net
James D. Macdonald said:
Fill it out, or toss the pitch, doesn't make any difference. But if you write them a check I'll come to your house and mock you in person.
I don't plan to send them a check or return the information.

The obtained the information from public records and databases, and they have some kind of demographic profile of "person most likely to fall for this nonsense," which is why you got one.
Great, so living in Pennsylvania makes me a sucker. Thanks, Jim. :) That just boosted my reasons for wanting to change my address. And that came from your evil post #666. :ROFL:

To the trash it goes. We'll see when it hits the library shelf if they include the name or not. I'm not responding to verify any of this profile. I'm not sure I'd want my name and information plastered in a book for everyone to see.

Thanks for the information everyone.

Jill, we can have a weiner roast with our letters. :)

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
I think this used to be a legit operation, but fell right into the Poetry.com territory.

Joanne, it IS kind of creepy how they get all that info, isn't it? They sent me a form saying I'd been approved for the "Who's Who in America" last year or the year before. I figured, no harm. Sent it back and approved it. Now I get their damn junk mail EVERY MONTH telling me I've been nominated for more of their books. What a waste of trees.

So how DO they get all that profile info? Name and address, sure, but how did they know which schools I went to, books I'd written, awards I won, etc.? Do they have people actively searching the Internet for this stuff? What's weirder is that I don't write under my full legal name, but they matched it up correctly.

jdkiggins

Registered
Reaction score
Website
home.comcast.net
Sure, and we can shread up pages of their 18 publications: America, World, East, Midwest, South and Southwest, West, American Art, American Law, American Politics, Entertainment, Education, Finance and Business, Medicine and Healthcare, Engineering, Media and Communications, and Publications.

I am burning this thing. I don't need to see a publication of Who's Who of American Pennsylvanian Suckers. :Spam:

jdkiggins

Registered
Reaction score
Website
home.comcast.net
Thank you, Jenna, for commenting. Yes, I do think it's strange and creepy.

As you well know, I've written under several names. I do wonder how they obtain this information.

I questioned this in this thread not only because they had things in the profile I'd forgotten about, but also because they listed all the names I've used, with the correct spelling of my middle name, of which I've used only the initial.

Rose

Escribo, entonces existo.
Registered
Reaction score
Richard said:
who but the included people and some very rich bachelors are going to look for a random American woman in such a book?
Hmmm, very rich bachelors, now I'm a little disappointed I didn't get the mailing...

Deleted member 42

They use a data mining company and hire fresh college graduates to help populate their database. It's definitely a scam, but I'd avoid my data being included for various privacy concerns, including identity theft--yeah, there's no social security or license # but there's mother's maiden name and such, useful for social engineering.

mdin

The late, the great XThe NavigatorX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mattdinniman.com
This is almost as good as those folks who are auctioning off pages of their book on Ebay.

I'm going to start a Who's Who of American Dogs. People are crazy about their pets. Anyone want in on the ground floor?

Rose

Escribo, entonces existo.
Registered
Reaction score
XThe NavigatorX said:
I'm going to start a Who's Who of American Dogs. People are crazy about their pets. Anyone want in on the ground floor?
Me, me, me! And I bet Anne and Cate are right behind me...