Would you have walked around and asked for tips?

writerterri

It's a dorky day!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I had to work on Easter Sunday. I thought, no big huge deal. I'll work and get out of there then get home to make dinner and spend time with my family then.

I'm a banquet server. Today was a little different though. Today we worked for cash tips instead of the tips being pooled and taxed and put into my check. Which, btw, I like so I don't owe mucho taxes later. So everyone at my work has a certain amount of tables to serve except me. I was to keep the coffee stations filled. At the end of the day 15 percent of the tips went to the captains, 5 percent went to the bartender and you were expected to tip out the runners which I thought included me since I was running for coffee and keeping the stations filled with it. Also we as servers were going to get to eat as a work family at the sea food buffet after the place emptied out.

We quit seating people and the servers started tipping out and counting their fat wads of cash. People's moods were lifted, everyone smiling about the tips they had made. I hung around expecting a few bucks to float my way but none never came. I then decided perhaps I was going to get tipped when we were able to eat the delicious food which included huge crab legs and prime rib.

My captain walks up to me while I was helping to clear peoples tables and asks if I had taken my break yet. Well no one was taking breaks but I now am learning what is coming next. I say no. Then he says, "why don't you go take your break." He waits for my reply. "Okay," I said. Then he followed with and when you're done clock out and go home.

I'm new at work so I just smile and tell him okay. I didn't even bother to take a break or ask if I could eat at the buffet, he wouldn't have let me anyway. It's again the rules to eat while customers are eating. I just clocked out and went home. No tips were given to me so I worked a holiday on min wage. I missed church and Easter morning with my family so I could earn money to feed my family and ended up with a 30.00 day.

If people, even management, didn't think to give me a cut in the tips which is what I mostly work for should I have asked them for some money before I went home?

I thought about it but I was too embarrassed to ask for money. I don't think I should have had to ask.

I sent my boss an email telling her I made no tips on Easter and told her that I'm mostly the person who is asked to go home when people need to be cut.

Thanks for letting me unload.

Easter was a bummer.

SpookyWriter

Banned
Reaction score
Darn, Terri. That just sucks the wind out of my sails. How terrible that these people didn't even offer or think to include you in the tip distribution. I'm so angry, I could scream. The bastards!

RLB

bundled
Registered
Reaction score
That really sucks. People who live off tips should know better than to stiff one of their own.

Rachel, part-time waitress

mscelina

Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fu
You should have been tipped at the same rate as a food runner/busser by the servers (and the bartender if he/she was using coffee). The manager on duty should have insured that you received a tipout OR, if this was a position that is NOT tipped and isn't your usual function then you should have been informed of this before you were scheduled for the shift.

Celina (who has worked every position in a restaurant from busgirl to GM)

Susie

Thanks, special friend for my avi!
Registered
Reaction score
That is rotten. Not fair and then the person who has been wronged, like you, feels awkward asking for what should have been hers/his in the first place. Unreal!

JLCwrites

Registered
Reaction score
Werri! I am so sorry this happened to you. Some people can be so mindless about others. I hope your boss acts appropriately to your email. You shouldn't have to ask, but apparently the people you work with lack class.
:Hug2:

StephanieFox

Maybull the Bulldog
Registered
Reaction score
You have to ask for what you want!

Maybe they forgot. Maybe they thought you'd gotten your tips. Maybe they didn't care. But you've got to ask for what you want. Don't be shy. You should have ask the boss, "I was under the impression I was to get tips," or "Where do I pick up my share of the tips?" You really need to do this. You deserve the tips just like everyone else.

bluntforcetrauma

Esquire
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You don't ask for tips, you simply take them. Seems I got slammed for posting how I always pick up the tips my wife leaves so I can have a little more pocket money.

Last edited:

writerterri

It's a dorky day!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I guess I should have asked the managers but I figured they had it done for me since they all knew I didn't have any tables and when one of them asked me to go home I just got angry and left. That's bad management if you ask me. No one had to ask for tips not even the set up guys. One of the captains asked me if I had some cash for them and I said that I didn't have a section. That should have tipped him off.

Oh, well. I hope my boss responds to my email well too. I think this is a lesson for them to make sure everyone gets tipped.

Thanks for your support.

Terri

bluntforcetrauma

Esquire
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Terri;
I used to be shy too. You have to fight for your own self. Stand up and ask questions. Don't feel embarassed. If you worked hard, you should be recompensed more than min wages on an Easter Sunday!

Give me his phone number. I might need to talk to him.

WerenCole

Funny what? Do I amuse you?
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome, my darling little dorky chickadee to the hell that is the culinary service industry. Really. . . and you are in banquets, which are the worst. Working at a banquet hall is akin to indentured servitude. They recruit students who don't know any better or people who just need a job and squeeze them dry. I prefer catering myself. . . you get to plan and execute and the pay is just about always good. Usually no tips but the standard is between $15-$20 and hour for event time. There are tips when we do weddings, usually. I remember being at the university (and here I am, a 12 year chef and restaurant manager) being recruited by these banquet fu%ks. I started laughing and he, of course, became quite indignant about it. I know these people all too well and they are transparent. Sorry to say, but I doubt your boss will really respond to your email (though, I don't know him personally so I cannot say for sure) but I think it will conveniently be overlooked. A couple emails and a personal chat might do the trick. . . you need to hound these assholes because really, they just don't care and often are not incredibly honest. The banquet industry has always been "We serve Coca Cola in the front and coke in the back" type of deal, and honey, it is not going to change any time soon.

Angie

Shaddup and lemme think.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tranquiligeek.com
Jerks! Creeps! Cretins!

I waitressed for several years, and I *always* made sure to tip out bussers and other non-tip earners. Minimum wage is not enough to live on these days.

Grr!

When BFT is done with that number, I might need it. :rant:

EriRae

:P
Registered
Reaction score
It's bad enough when customers stiff you, but when your employer stiffs you as well... Times are tough for everyone, but that doesn't mean that the newest hire should be asked to go home early with no compensation. How does that build loyalty in a company?

writerterri

It's a dorky day!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Her explanation... I was making double time. Which is 12.50 and hour. That sucks even worse. They chose me because I was at the bottom of the list (but the guy that was hired after me was a server) and the other people who were scheduled to do the same as me all called in. Smart people. When they ask people to go home they ask from the bottom up. Well I'm fourth from the bottom but the first to go. And there were two guys hired after me that got to serve and stay.

I got the shaft. My confidence in this job is lost. I thought I was doing good as a banquet server, now I know otherwise and I know why I'm getting treated so rudely. Now I also know why one of the captains always picks on the little things with me. He wants me out.

I think I'll find another job.

I've never fit into this world as strange as that sounds. I struggle to fit into any group of people. I was severely abused until I was well into my 20's. Then lost my mom due to her drug abuse 1 and a half years ago. I try to fit in to society but I feel like a puzzle piece to a different puzzle.

I find it very hard to relate to other females especially ones in powerful positions and ones who grew up in a "regular" household. I literally shy away and say nothing more than hello or how are you. I would be terrified to meet you people in person because I'm so different than people who have never been severely abused. If I didn't have to feed my family I would never leave the house.

I heard a woman in a movie say, when asked, "What's your story?" She replied, "Nothing, I'm just me."

I gasped when I heard it. What I wouldn't give to be able to say that and mean it. I wondered what me as a person would be like if I had grown up with guidance and direction and education. I'm not saying life is all good when growing up but my comprehension its self when it comes to normal things is non existent. I read some of these threads here and have no clue on how normal conversations happen like they do. I'm unable to do it. I can't engage in intelligent conversation and it's terrible. Which is why I don't read a lot. I don't understand the sentences which is also why I don't crit a lot of work. I'll say something and I get from people that they don't understand me or don't know what I'm talking about.

I hate that over the last few years I've learned this about myself because it makes me withdraw so much more.

I do realize that I do have my moments, though, and I can offer sound advice here and there and that's what keeps me going. Or that I can help someone in need but overall I prefer my shell with as few people picking me up to admire me as possible.

Angie

Shaddup and lemme think.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tranquiligeek.com
I can't think of anything useful to say, so I'll just offer a *hug*. :Hug2: And definitely look for another job if you're not happy there; life's too short to be miserable at work every day.

FWIW, I think you're great.

-Ang

writerterri

It's a dorky day!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks ladies!

I'm going tomorrow to look into a job taking care of mentally disabled adults. If there's anyone in the world I love it's someone who's mentally challenged. They don't get judgment (understand)and they are totally free in spirit. Well, those who havn't been abused.

I'm off to get an In-N-Out burger.

Last edited:

WildScribe

Slave to the Wordcount
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
In N Out is the bestest. You'll feel better any minute.

In other news, your life story (the relating to others bit, anyway) sounds EXACTLY like a friend of mine who is in her 30s and just found out that she has Asperger's Syndrome. I know it doesn't sound good, but you really should check out the information out there... it could really help.

As for the tippage... I, too, have gotten the shaft from a manager in the food industry. I bounced back better than ever, and you will, too.

czjaba

dreaming of the day...
Registered
Reaction score
Good luck with the job search, and I hope this new possibility of helping disabled adults works out well for you. I am assuming, of course, that you have already decided to leave the bastards that stiffed you on Easter. That's just wrong. But...whatever...if it helps them sleep at night...(they should sleep with one eye open - we can always round up a posse.)

WerenCole

Funny what? Do I amuse you?
Registered
Reaction score
If there's anyone in the world I love it's someone who's mentally challenged. They don't get judgment and they are totally free in spirit.

No wonder you spend so much time here!

davids

Banned
Reaction score
if it meant being handicappipated Qeen of dee dorks and that meant that you would be unfurrowing me brow lady-well hell I could see my way to gettin a bit manteyeyouall! See if you can laugh at yourself then you can laugh at them purdy lady-hell as cornificated as it may sound all that purdy is inside not outside-althoug a bit of silken skin-never mind I rabid dog on like a silly poisoner-dun worry kiddo-you make a hell of a lot more sensification then what I do and hell I am a damn frighter-er writer? Never mind dear life is short and every day it is getting shorter and you be young and nice and purdy and if I am not incorrect you give purdy good memoir as well-love el lobsterino!