What's the cut-off age for being a cop?

MonaLeigh

Wasting time
Registered
Reaction score
I have a woman who wants to become a cop later in life. Is there a cut-off age for joining the police force?

Little Red Barn

haz own threads
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Don't think there is a cut-off age, (but check with your local dept) as much as being able to pass state certification, the criteria for being a police officer which requires passing numerous physical agility tests. However, Federal law enforcement agencies, such FBI have stricter requirements than state; they require you to be under 35 and you must retire at age 55.

MonaLeigh

Wasting time
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks. I'm in the beginning stages of this. I was thinking she'd be in her early 30's and needs a major career/life change.

FinbarReilly

Registered
Reaction score
Website
twosparrows.5gigs.com
For being a police offer, the limit is definitely going to be the local jurisdiction, and is going to be dictated by how crime the location has; in general, the more crime, the more likely you are looking at a younger limit (such as 30-35) as faster reflexes is more necessary than wisdom (it's a life or death thing). However, in more peaceful situations, the age limit is likely to be older or non-existent, as the ability to make interesting decisions is more important, as the cop is more likely to act as arbiter than arrester.

If it helps...
FR

Gary

Registered
Reaction score
My son-in-law became a full time cop in his early forties. I don't recall all the details, but I seem to recall that his city civil service requirement was that he must complete 20 years of service by the time he reached the mandatory retirement age. I think that was age 62, but he had a few years as a reserve officer that allowed him to fall within the rules.

Appalachian Writer

Somewhere in the hills....
Registered
Reaction score
Zelda Fitzgerald decided (albeit a poor decision) to become a ballet dancer at 32. I would think that the rigorous physical requirements, just as in dance, would be difficult for a man over 35. Of course, once you become a police officer, you might be able to stay on the force until they hauled you away to the home.

MonaLeigh

Wasting time
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the answers! I think I'll make her 30.

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
FBI have stricter requirements than state; they require you to be under 35 and you must retire at age 55.

Just a nitpick: FBI lists their mandatory retirement age as 57, although that can be waived.

WriteKnight

Arranger Of Disorder
Registered
Reaction score
30,000 light years from Galactic Central Point.
Thirty is probably a safe bet, especially if it's a smallish fictional town. My brother in law became a cop at thirty one, in a small coastal town in Texas.

If it's a REAL city/town you're setting it in, the safest bet would be to call the police department and check! (But you knew that.)

The Grift

Tom Swiftly's Favorite Adverb
Registered
Reaction score
As I understand, most state and local departments do not have strict age limits. Late 20's early 30's is actually the average age of new cops. Many enlisted military people put in a full 20 in the military and then move to a civilian police job, which means they're joining police forces in their late 30's and early 40's. I have read about new cops all the way up to their early 50's, but you better be in great shape. Do some searches of police message boards and you will see this question asked and answered often.

The average age of a NAT (New Agent Trainee) at the FBI academy is 30. You must be hired by 37, so you can put in a full 20 years before mandatory retirement at 57. The 37 year old limit is virtually never waived, although if you are in another federal law enforcement position covered by what is called "6(c)" retirement, you can transfer over.

Redhedd

Demon Wrangler
Registered
Reaction score
FWIW, I was in my mid-thirties when I became a cop, and I worked with another woman who started when she was 43.