• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Pocol Press

Seaclusion

Absolute Parsley
Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone had any dealings with Pocol Press out of Clifton, Va. I have found that they have several books published and for sale on Amazon. Other than that I haven't found anything else possitive or negative. They are not listed in the Publishers list here.

Richard

Saanen

Registered
Reaction score
This one? http://www.pocolpress.com/

I glanced over the site and it looks okay. They do offer an editing service separate from their publishing, which is iffy. They want submitted manuscripts bound with a comb binding, which is just weird, but nothing to flip out over. :)

I read the first paragraph of a few of the "sneak peeks" of their novels, and saw a lot of passive voice. I don't see evidence that their books are in actual brick-and-mortar bookstores, and their reviews mostly seem to be local, but I do like the covers I saw.

I don't think they're scammers, but you should definitely aim higher.

Seaclusion

Absolute Parsley
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, that's the one. They have requested a full ms based on a query and synopsis I sent.

The comb binding is weird, but maybe they work in a windy office and the pages get scattered about easily.

I too liked the covers, but never judge a publisher by his covers or some metaphor like that. I think I'll send the ms anyway and see what happens.

Richard

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
They have an interesting specialty niche in publishing books about 19th century baseball, so if that's your subject, they might be a reasonable option. I would guess, though, that their marketing and distribution capacities (Baker & Taylor only, apparently) are pretty limited, and that sales and exposure would be small.

The comb binding thing is pretty weird, IMO.

- Victoria

Dai Alanye

Banned
Reaction score
Website
alanye.com
From their FAQs:
Our press publishes only the highest quality writing.

I judge differently.

…dedicated to producing high-quality books from first-time, non-agented authors.

In addition, they have formatting problems with their long excerpts--the so-called Sneak Peeks--at times leaving us to guess at who is speaking to whom. They give no physical description that I can find of the books. $17.95 for what, exactly?

The owner is author of one of their books (not that there's anything wrong with that!) and the covers leave a lot to be desired, in my opinion.

tammay

Got the hang of it, here
Registered
Reaction score
Interesting that their specialty also includes short story collections. I was always under the impression that short story collections don't sell and you really have to be an author with a "name" to get away with getting a short story collection published these days. Kind of surprising, given the short span of attention people have these days (and only getting shorter... :::sigh:::)

That said, I would think that anyone who is looking to build a career as a novelist and only "dabbles" in short stories would probably not be the best candidate to publish with this publisher.

Ah, I'd love to sustain a career as a published author of short stories but it just isn't happening...

Tam

JackinElgin

back for more
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Submitted a query, got a form request for a full, and three months later I got a contract emailed to me accepting my M.S.

10% royalties but no advance. Contract language seemed pretty standards but it was a little light (only a two page contract).

I respectfully declined.

Author Girl

Registered
Reaction score
Why would Pocol Press charge $17.95 for a trade paperback when most other publishers charge between $12.95 and $14.95? Since Pocol's books are 25% or so higher than the competion, Pocol's authors are at a distinct disadvantage in their marketing efforts.

Sushi

Registered
Reaction score
I work in baseball and have seen a number of titles from Pocol Press. They're a legit publisher and respected enough in the baseball community as a publisher of non-fiction titles. I wouldn't publish fiction with them though.

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
That's on the high side, but not unheard of for a niche market press. I wouldn't publish fiction with them, because you'd be competing with the latest Nora Roberts or whatever at a more attractive price point, but if I had a non-fiction manuscript about baseball history they might be a reasonable choice.

Pocol Press folks, if you're reading this: You have to price fiction attractively enough for it to compete with what's out there from already-known authors. If I wanted a biography of $Obscure 19th-Century Baseball Player, I'd pay the extra buck or two to get it from you because you'd be the only folks who had it; if I just want something to read on the airplane, I'm unlikely to pay over the odds for an unknown writer.