• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Agency] Mary Evans, Inc.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website, such as it is: http://maryevansinc.com/

Agent bios from assorted conference listings:

Mary Evans
...has worked in publishing since the 1970's, first at Farrar, Straus & Giroux and then at The Viking Press. She decided she needed more involvement with authors and became a literary agent, a profession she has practiced for over twenty years. She is known for her upmarket fiction and non-fiction. Her literary agency, Mary Evans, Inc., is located in the East Village in New York City. Along with Tanya McKinnon, the other full agent at Mary Evans, Inc., she tries to have the art her clients produce satisfy publishers' needs of commerce. Mary Evans' clients include Michelle Chalfoun, Kristin Duisberg, Christopher Castellani, Nicholas von Hoffman and Michael Chabon.

Tanya McKinnon
...has been a literary agent at Mary Evans Inc. for 7 years and has over 50 clients. Before becoming an agent, she was a foreign scout in New York and the youngest senior editor at South End Press in Boston. She holds an M.A. in cultural anthropology from the Graduate Faculty of the New School, a B.A. in English from Tufts University and has been profiled in The New York Times, The New York Observer, and Savoy Magazine. A lifelong fan of children's literature, Ms. McKinnon's list includes authors of picture books, middle-grade readers and young adult books.

No bio for associate agent Devin McIntyre, but he has several sales to his credit.

K-Mark

Philly Phanatic
Registered
Reaction score
Here are some of the latest deals on PM.

December 21, 2007
s.gif
s.gif
Fiction:
Debut AP editor Tim Molloy's HOW TO BREAK BAD NEWS, a humorous debut pitched as in the vein of Nick Hornby and Christopher Buckley, about an undercover reporter who goes to work in a fast food restaurant only to find that he prefers it to his job in TV news, to Ken Siman at Virgin, by Devin McIntyre at Mary Evans (world English).
s.gif
s.gif
November 6, 2007
s.gif
s.gif
Foreign rights:
Fiction Simplified Chinese rights to Ayelet Waldman's LOVE AND OTHER IMPOSSIBLE PURSUITS, previously sold in 12 territories, to Horizon Media in China, in a nice deal, at auction, by Gray Tan at Jia-Xi Books, on behalf of Devin McIntyre at Mary Evans.
s.gif
s.gif
August 10, 2007
s.gif
s.gif
Foreign rights:
Non-fiction Japanese rights to Doug Stumpf's THE CONFESSIONS OF A WALL STREET SHOESHINE BOY, to Random House Kodansha, by Mario Tauchi at Owl's Agency on behalf of Mary Evans.
s.gif
s.gif
August 10, 2007
s.gif
s.gif
Foreign rights:
Non-fiction Italian rights to Gwyneth Cravens's POWER TO SAVE THE WORLD: The Truth About Nuclear Energy, to Francesco Anzelmo at Mondadori, in a pre-empt, by Chandler Crawford at the Chandler Crawford Agency, on behalf of Mary Evans.

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
Any idea about response times. I am waiting on Tanya.

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
Just a quick question for anyone who has queried Tanya. Did you send to her yahoo email that is listed on Agent Query? Thanks.

WishWords

Registered
Reaction score
I had the pleasure of meeting Mary Evans at a conference last weekend. Very impressive lady. She was quite up front about the quality she looks for, but extremely helpful to authors who had questions about the business and her company. My impression of her is that if you have her in your corner, you have a strong willed, knowledgeable agent representing you.

fuwanna

Registered
Reaction score
Beware of Mary Evans

Indeed, Mary Evans certainly says the right things, but having had her as an agent I would strongly NOT recommend her (or her partner in blather, Tanya McKinnon).

I found her to be consistently unprofessional, less-than-forthright, and often just plain bizarre. Let me give you an example of the last quality:

I actually took on Mary Evans AFTER I had sold my novel to a major house because I'd heard how literary she was etc.... Anyway, Mary and Tanya were always talking about how they wanted to meet my editor, who was a young up-and-comer. So Mary has lunch with my editor. A week or two later, Mary attends a party for me after my first reading which my editor also attends. Now my editor is rather distinctive looking (in a good way), tall and quite noticeable, but in this group of say, 30 people, Mary Evans DOES NOT RECOGNIZE MY EDITOR WITH WHOM SHE'D HAD LUNCH A WEEK OR TWO BEFORE! My editor had to reintroduce herself to Mary, who had previously SO wanted to meet her. Now isn't this a little odd?

My publisher also gave a kickoff luncheon for my book in NYC, attended by folks from The New Yorker, Vanity Fair, etc. The ONLY invitee who did not RSVP to my publicist's invite was--you guessed it--my own agent, Mary Evans, who never actually let us know whether she planned to attend (a bit of a problem when the restaurant wants to know how many will attend). As it turned out Tanya McKinnon showed up (unfortunately), but neither of them ever responded to my publicist and this, to be honest, was rather embarrassing for me. Thanks so much for being supportive, guys.

In her post, WishWords says that Mary seems like someone "strong who will stand behind you." That may be how she SEEMS, but in my experience it is not how she IS. On the contrary.

Or how about the numerous times she and her staff lost stories I sent them to be submitted to magazines? I mean, they lost them AFTER Mary had called to tell me how much she liked them. The stories were never sent out. Until I called months later and inquired whatever became of them and, oh, oops, gee, let us look... Oh, gosh, here it is! We'll send it out now.

Or how about this: I get a rejection from then-fiction editor Bill Buford at the New Yorker asking specifically to see more of my work. (From a friend who works at the mag I understand that this is a big thing to reach him and hear directly from him.) I send a new story to Mary and specifically remind her and her assistant to send the story to BILL BUFORD who asked to see it.

You can guess what happened... I get a rejection from Roger Angell, to whom they sent it instead.

Or how about agreeing to sell one of my stories to an editor at a major publication who, it turns out, everyone BUT Mary seemed to know was on his way out? So after a wait, the story is actually NOT bought in the end and, because the book in which it is included is coming out imminently, it is too late to submit it anywhere else.

I could go on and on. But I will point out that I am not the only person who has noticed that Mary (and Tanya) do not seem to be quite "all there." The Director of Marketing at my house also made remarks suggesting that Mary was unreliable or "flakey," to put it euphemistically.

But, gee, if you want to sit and listen to her talk about how successful Michael Chabon is, you'll probably enjoy her. (Though, in the interest of historical accuracy, Mary in no way "discovered" Michael, her biggest client. Mary was working for the famous agent Virginia Barber at the time and Michael was handed to her.)

In sum, you know those stories about erratic diva writers and their long-suffering agents? With Mary Evans, you should reverse that relationship. Maybe it's different if you make her a million dollars. But in my case it was a great relief to get that gasbag out of my life.

PS And I found Tanya to be just as gassy and self-absorbed. Some of the things she said about writing were so empty-headed they made my jaw drop--though they were supposed to "sound" good, if you weren't actually listening (or thinking).

Repunzel

Registered
Reaction score
Fuwanna - This is enough for me. I do NOT need an aggravation like this in my life. As Miss Snark has said (something to this effect): no agent may be better than a terrible agent - and this sounds like a nightmare.

White Ginger

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Fuwanna, thank you for your detailed and revealing post.

I just received a query response from Kevin Sparks at Mary Evans. They are insisting on a hard copy submission of my novel, which is very unusual at this time in the business. But after reading your post, I'm wondering if I really want to spend the $32 to copy and send/return postage the manuscript to them.

Many thanks again, and best of luck to you in your career.

Last edited:

M.R.J. Le Blanc

aka Sadistic Mistress Mi-chan
Registered
Reaction score
Just because they're a 'good' agent, doesn't mean they're the right agent for you. Doesn't make them a bad agent, just not the agent for you.

After reading Fuwanna's post however, I wonder about this agency being either.

tbrosz

Got the hang of it, here
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tomalanbrosz.wordpress.com
Hi Fuwanna, thank you for your detailed and revealing post.

I just received a query response from Kevin Sparks at Mary Evans. They are insisting on a hard copy submission of my novel, which is very unusual at this time in the business. But after reading your post, I'm wondering if I really want to spend the $32 to copy and send/return postage the manuscript to them...

I can't speak to whether this is a good agency or not, but it is far from outlandish (even nowadays) for reputable agents and publishers to want to see hard copies of manuscripts.

I've found that for my book, which is quite long, it's cheaper to print a new copy for each submission and let them recycle it than to pay return postage costs. Besides, it makes a good impression when you send a crisp new copy to each agent. Also you don't have to flip through the returned one to make sure there aren't gum wrappers or rude penciled notes in it.

White Ginger

Registered
Reaction score
I didn't say hard copy requests were "outlandish", but rather "unusual". Of the 56 manuscript requests I've had in the past 5 months only 3 were for hard copies.

literati85

Registered
Reaction score
Mary Evans is great

As someone who's worked at several literary agencies, I can attest to the fact that it's still very common to request a hard copy of a manuscript. If you were lucky enough to have your material requested, I would print it off, send it, cross your fingers, and quit complaining!

Mary Evans Inc represents several well known authors; Mary herself is very pleasant and has a solid reputation.

Wonderlander

Bird In Flight
Registered
Reaction score
As someone who's worked at several literary agencies, I can attest to the fact that it's still very common to request a hard copy of a manuscript.

I'm actually signed with an agent and I still am asked to provide an initial hardcopy. (Only the version to be submitted is sent electronically.)

SJWangsness

An unknown known
Registered
Reaction score
ME

Their website is just too weird. They need some tech help.

Dear Author

Yep, still at it.
Registered
Reaction score
Is anyone getting responses either way from them? I snail queried McIntyre (w/SASE) at the end of June & haven't heard anything. According to AQ he accepts unsolicited queries, but maybe he's not interested?

:Shrug:

Gobletoffire

Registered
Reaction score
They seemed to reply pretty much on the day they got the query letter, and then very kindly asked me to email the manuscript. Maybe it depends which agent you're dealing with and how they feel about email.

HapiSofi

Hagiographically Advantaged
Registered
Reaction score
They're a bit old-fashioned. I have to assume that Michael Chabon could get another agent if he thought they were incompetent.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Lessee ... Devin left to start his own agency and Tanya is now with Victoria Sanders. Current agents include Rachel Vogel and Georgia Cool, near as I can tell.

Vandal

In the Center of things
Registered
Reaction score
From the Lunch:

Rachel Vogel has joined the Waxman Leavell Literary Agency as an agent, where she will continue building her list of upmarket and literary fiction, narrative nonfiction, and memoir. She was most recently an agent at Mary Evans Inc.

Lady MacBeth

Out, damn'd spot! out, I say.
Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone have updated info on this agency?

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
The page transition on their website is freakin' annoying, but other'n that, what sort of update were you looking for? Current agents-other-than-Evans are Julia Kardon and Mary Gaule.