• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Poetry Magazine / Poetry Foundation

alanna

Registered
Reaction score
I posted this in another thread, so sorry for those of you who are reading it twice! I was wondering what experiences people have had- if any- with Poetry Magazine.

jackie106

Registered
Reaction score
I have not heard anything negative about the magazine.

Poetry is one of the most respected literary magazines in the country. They've been around since 1912 and they've published many of the major poets of the 20th century. It's not an easy market to break into. According to Poet's Market, they receive 90,000 submissions per year.

I sent them a poem about a year ago and it was rejected.

Are there any specific concerns you have about Poetry?

Jackie

alanna

Registered
Reaction score
jackie- I thought they were great, except that they buy all rights, and copyright can only be returned to the author upon request for publication in a book- which I thought was kind of iffy. i know that they're legit, i just wasn't sure if sending a poem to a place that would buy all rights was a good idea. Although, they pay enough that I was wondering if that was the norm for that pay rate. is it just me? thanks for any light you can shed on this. :)

-alanna

Greenify13

Fair Maiden of War.
Registered
Reaction score
Poetry Foundation?

Does anyone know anything about Poetry Foundation? Has anyone used them, or know if this is a place to be warned of? I feel a little silly about asking about it but I have put a lot of thought into publishing my poetry and then decided to start with a magazine or the likes. I have spent over 3 weeks pondering on this organization, after a long time of deciding to actually do something with my work.

Any help, advice and/or input will be greatly appreciated! :)

frandavea

Registered
Reaction score
There are a lot of scam 'poetry orgs' out there, but if this is the one I'm thinking of, it is pretty legit. Been around since 1941, and publishes Poetry magazine.

Greenify13

Fair Maiden of War.
Registered
Reaction score
It does publish Poetry magazine...it seems legit, but I wanted to make certain, I do not jump into anything and this is no exception. :)