• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Jean V. Naggar Literary Agency

Appalachian Writer

Somewhere in the hills....
Registered
Reaction score
Hey Guys!
Thanks with the help on Mollie Glick at Jean Naggar. She kept my partial around two weeks (Probably because of the holidays). Since she had such a reputation for getting back to authors within days, I took the two weeks as a good sign. Wrong. She sent me a gracious rejection this afternoon. I'm pretty sure it was a form rejection, but at least someone typed my name in the address line. The other agents who are looking at the partial haven't gotten back to me. Maybe I'll have joyous news to report soon.

Thanks Again,
Appy

clara bow

Li'l Rug Bug
Registered
Reaction score
Appalachian Writer said:
Hey Guys!
. She sent me a gracious rejection this afternoon. I'm pretty sure it was a form rejection, but at least someone typed my name in the address line.
Thanks Again,
Appy

Oh, darn. Sorry to hear that. lol, at least your spirits are still up. Good luck with the other agents.

nygirl

Registered
Reaction score
UrsusMinor said:
Ditto. I've only had three agents ever ask for exclusives, and in all three cases they understood when I told them others were already reading.

I've had exactly the same experience. Two people emailed me, after I queried them, and said: "I'd love to read the full/partial manuscript but only if no one else is looking at it."
When I replied, "Uh, I'd love to send it to you, but other people already have it. Do you still want to read it?" Both of them replied: "Oh, yes, send it anyway."
I think exclusives are a bad deal for the writer. You have no guarantee the agent is going to offer you representation, and even if she does you don't have the chance to compare to see whether that person is the right agent for you... Why would you be "exclusive" with someone when you haven't even gone out on a first date?
I say avoid them if you can (and usually, you can).

andracill

Registered
Reaction score
Jessica has had two partials of mine -- for one she asked for the full within ten days, the second was a no in less than two weeks -- she's fast, so you don't need to worry about the exclusive part of it, I don't think. Good luck!

andracill

Registered
Reaction score
I bet you'll hear soon -- I've not heard of her taking much longer than three weeks, on average. Good luck! :D

carmar

Registered
Reaction score
Yikes! Should I panic or worry? Jessica Regal has had my partial (Unless it never arrived there) since mid-December. Should I e-mail her and see if it arrived...or just sit tight? Sitting tight is difficult since I granted her an exclusive and have other agents waiting.

andracill

Registered
Reaction score
When I let her have an exclusive the first time she requested from me, I put a time limit of three weeks on it -- and she requested the full before the time was up. With the full, I gave her six weeks, but it only took her about four to say no. I wouldn't panic or worry -- she's fast, but we did have a week or two of holidays there. If you haven't heard by the end of the month, it probably won't hurt to sq -- good luck!

carmar

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Andracill...of course, today is the very last day of the month...would this be a good time to sq_ _?

JeanneTGC

I *am* Catwoman...and Gini Koch
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ginikoch.com
For what it's worth, I sent a query and short synopsis to Jessica on 12-20; got a printed form letter rejection signed by Mollie Glick on 1-16. So, I don't know if this indicates that Jessica's not there any more or if it indicates that the receptionist just signs Mollie's name to most of the "not for us" rejections. :Shrug:

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
I got the same a few months back. Subbed to Jessica, got rejected by Mollie

clara bow

Li'l Rug Bug
Registered
Reaction score
i e-queried ms. regel 1/7/07, still no word. but of course 3 weeks is *nothing*. i even forgot i had queried her. oh well. i think i'll go reject myself on her behalf.

later!

Jenan Mac

The Deadliest Bunny
Registered
Reaction score
::joining the Rejected By Mollie Glick Club::

She's quite professional and pleasant. We ended up exchanging several emails because of a glitch in the process, and I think she would have been great to work with. Aside from the fact that she didn't love my novel, that is.

Prevostprincess

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.queenoftheroadthebook.com
Mollie Glick

Mollie also asked me for an exclusive. I told her I couldn't, as my proposal was already out to a few other agents. She immediately emailed back to send it, anyway. A couple weeks later, she offered representation and I accepted! It took several (long) months, but she sold my memoir to Random House. I can't say enough good about her.

Last edited:

MelodyO

Waiting for love on the web
Registered
Reaction score
Jessica Regel

Hello there, has anybody had any dealings with Jessica Regel of the Jean V. Naggar agency? I'm trying my hardest to personalize my query to her (or even figure out if my query is really suitable for her), but I can find very little about her doing a google search.

Thanks in advance!

herdon

What's up?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ipad.about.com
All I can tell you is that their website is about the worst I've ever seen. It's about as bad as those one page websites that scroll down forever and are jam packed with pictures and large fonts. You know, the ones that look like they were built in 1993.

MelodyO

Waiting for love on the web
Registered
Reaction score
Hee! I agree. I have a feeling they don't really need to advertise for new clients. But I want to be one anyway OMG!

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
I queried her by e-mail just over a year ago and got a std 'dear author' rejection back in 4 days.

Maddog

Registered
Reaction score
I had a close call with Jessica. Even talked to her on the phone (seeing Jean V Naggar on my caller Id was quite a thrill!) She ultimately passed on the project and another one I sent her. Seemed pleasant.

JamieFord

giving resonant directions
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamieford.com
I queried Jean and Jessica replied, ultimately asking for the full. I have offers already so she read it over the weekend and got back to me. She passed, but was very polite and responsive.

Dear Jamie,
Thanks for the opportunity to consider THE PANAMA HOTEL. Your characters and setting are truly fantastic, but ultimately I'm not enthusiastic enough about the story to offer representation.

Best of luck with your new agent!

Sincerely,
Jessica Regel

JRwriter

I met Molly Glick at last year's Book Expo and she suggested I submit to Jessica Regal. I haven't done so yet--long story--but I plan to soon. Any tips on what she looks for in a query?

Also, does anyone know anything about Lauren Abramo at Dystel & Goderich Literary Management--what books she has agented, etc.?

Thanks.