The Perils Of Art In The New Millenium

brokenfingers

Walkin' That Road
Registered
Reaction score
I am too. But at the same time, if you want unity in the world, you can't go around offending people.
Who the hell is going around offending anyone? Did the Danes go into THEIR country and put those pictures up? If so, then they'd have a valid complaint.

The fact is that the Danes posted a political cartoon IN THEIR OWN COUNTRY! As is their right.

Who cares what any other nation thinks. And if they're offended - okay, fine. But it's not okay to kill them for it and threaten every other European cuz of it.

And it isn't a case of "sensitivity". It's a case of a religion seeking to control others outside it's realm. It's a case of a religion seeking to follow the literal word of Mohammed and spread the Faith by sword.

It's insensitive to portray Bush or Obama or Clinton or the Pope or any one of a thousand other people unflatteringly. But the fact is that it's our damn right to do so if we so choose.

Especially within the bounds of our own borders. Sheesh!

As far as Unity in the world - start with the Extremist Muslim Fanaticals and then get back to me. I'll be happy to sign up then.

InfinityGoddess

Goddess of Infinity
Registered
Reaction score
Website
infinitygoddess.net
And it isn't a case of "sensitivity". It's a case of a religion seeking to control others outside it's realm. It's a case of a religion seeking to follow the literal word of Mohammed and spread the Faith by sword.

And I already said, repeatedly, it's not just the fanatics who are offended; depicting Mohammed in any form that shows his face, is considered offensive to even the most moderate of Muslims. It's blasphemy and idolatry, according to their religion.

Religion is already a tough issue as it is without the idiots who make relations worse. That goes for both sides.

BarbJ

Registered
Reaction score
Idolatry: The worship of idols; excessive admiration or veneration. Don't think the Danes put the cartoon in the paper for people to worship. Fact is, it's idolitrous for a Muslim to venerate a picture of Mohammed, and it's blasphemy for a Muslim to insult Mohammed and/or break the rules of Islam.

They're just finding excuses. A terrorist is a terrorist is a terrorist. They will always and inevitably stir up their followers with screams of "Kill! Kill!" and will always and inevitably find an excuse, even a poor one. They are terrorists, and it is useless to equate them with non-terrorists, as the majority of Muslims are.

As a Christian, I find displays of Jesus in glasses of piss or in obscenities to be insulting, if stupid, but I'm not going to kill anyone over it. Muslims who don't approve of terrorism may or may not find the cartoon insulting; I suspect most shrugged it off. It would be good to not lump them together with the terrorists.

I'm reminded of the L.A. riots, when blacks who didn't participate, didn't loot, gave shelter, and prayed were lumped with the rioters and - worse - told they should have joined in the riot to protest the - well, basically, everyone who wasn't black. Don't do this to the Muslims.

It's no longer a question of whether or not the cartoon is insulting to a religion. The terrorists have ensured it's a question of whether or not one submits to terrorism for the sake of being tolerant.They aren't stupid; they've done this deliberately.

brokenfingers

Walkin' That Road
Registered
Reaction score
Who the hell is going around offending anyone? Did the Danes go into THEIR country and put those pictures up? If so, then they'd have a valid complaint.

The fact is that the Danes posted a political cartoon IN THEIR OWN COUNTRY! As is their right.

Who cares what any other nation thinks. And if they're offended - okay, fine. But it's not okay to kill them for it and threaten every other European cuz of it.

It's insensitive to portray Bush or Obama or Clinton or the Pope or any one of a thousand other people unflatteringly. But the fact is that it's our damn right to do so if we so choose.

Especially within the bounds of our own borders. Sheesh!

As far as Unity in the world - start with the Extremist Muslim Fanaticals and then get back to me. I'll be happy to sign up then.
I just wanted to edit a statement I made. It's still the same but I wanted to clarify it so that there is no misunderstanding.

"It's a case of fanatical followers of a religion seeking to control others outside it's realm. It's a case of fanatical followers of a religion seeking to follow the literal word of Mohammed and spread the Faith by sword."

While I know what I mean when I write my posts, it doesn't do to assume others do also.

I realize, as do most people in the world, that the majority of Muslims throughout this globe, are just normal regular people who's only desire is to live their lives in peace and relative prosperity.

But as they say, the squeaky wheel gets the grease - and so the very vocal extremists, which include bin Laden and others like some of the leaders of Iran, Saudi Arabia and other Islamic nations, are who I speak of when I make statements concerning Islam and muslims.

To me it's obvious, but to some others it might not be, that it's those who seek to spread their message, whatever it is, through violence and terror that are the problem.

To me they're like rabid dogs and should be bought down accordingly.

InfinityGoddess

Goddess of Infinity
Registered
Reaction score
Website
infinitygoddess.net
As a Christian, I find displays of Jesus in glasses of piss or in obscenities to be insulting, if stupid, but I'm not going to kill anyone over it. Muslims who don't approve of terrorism may or may not find the cartoon insulting; I suspect most shrugged it off. It would be good to not lump them together with the terrorists.

Again, depicting Mohammad in any shape or form that doesn't obscure his face is considered sacrilege to even the most moderate of Muslims, not just the fanatics. They would not simply "shrug it off". That's a whole different ballgame than the depiction of Jesus, where it is not considered sacrilege to show Him in all His glory to many Christians.

Moderate Muslims may not threaten death over it, but that doesn't mean it won't piss them off, is basically what I'm saying.

BarbJ

Registered
Reaction score
Again, depicting Mohammad in any shape or form that doesn't obscure his face is considered sacrilege to even the most moderate of Muslims, not just the fanatics. They would not simply "shrug it off". That's a whole different ballgame than the depiction of Jesus, where it is not considered sacrilege to show Him in all His glory to many Christians.

Moderate Muslims may not threaten death over it, but that doesn't mean it won't piss them off, is basically what I'm saying.

Um, depicting Jesus in pee and obscenities is showing Him in His glory? I.G., I don't think you're reading the posts completely before responding. The Muslim family who discussed the matter with me, and consider themselves good Muslims (they drew a blank on "moderate Muslim"), are the ones who used the phrase " homicidal idiots looking for excuses". I'd let them know you consider them non-Muslims because of their views, but I like them. I disagree with their religion, but them I like.

Don't bother to answer if you unless you wish. This thread is worn out, and I won't be back to it.

InfinityGoddess

Goddess of Infinity
Registered
Reaction score
Website
infinitygoddess.net
Um, depicting Jesus in pee and obscenities is showing Him in His glory? I.G., I don't think you're reading the posts completely before responding. The Muslim family who discussed the matter with me, and consider themselves good Muslims (they drew a blank on "moderate Muslim"), are the ones who used the phrase " homicidal idiots looking for excuses". I'd let them know you consider them non-Muslims because of their views, but I like them. I disagree with their religion, but them I like.

Don't bother to answer if you unless you wish. This thread is worn out, and I won't be back to it.

I meant showing Jesus in the manner of showing all of Him, not like pictures where His face is scratched off because it's blasphemy to show His face or something like that, as it is sacrilege to Islam to depict Mohammad's face.

Fanatics are people you can never please, of course, and of course, I don't agree with the death threats. But I also think it's unfair to say that they are the only ones who take offense at Mohammad's depiction. That's what I was saying.

Dai Alanye

Banned
Reaction score
Website
alanye.com
I am too. But at the same time, if you want unity in the world, you can't go around offending people.

Didn't Orwell have a category called, "Doublethink?" The ability, that is, to simultaneously hold two opposing views.

InfinityGoddess

Goddess of Infinity
Registered
Reaction score
Website
infinitygoddess.net
Didn't Orwell have a category called, "Doublethink?" The ability, that is, to simultaneously hold two opposing views.

I am not "doublethinking". I am simply saying that if you want to make friends to the people who aren't extremists, but share the same religion, you can't go around offending them.

That doesn't mean that I'm against freedom of expression. It simply means that religious intolerance should not be tolerated by either side. That is all.

Joe270

Banned
Reaction score

Again, depicting Mohammad in any shape or form that doesn't obscure his face is considered sacrilege to even the most moderate of Muslims, not just the fanatics.

For the sake of unity in the world, then all muslims must change.

Why does the whole rest of the world have to bend over for their sensativities? Perhaps they should be more flexible, not the rest of us.

Like I said, this is only one thing which 'offends' them. Your very existence offends them. So, for the sake of unity with the muslim world, we should deal with lesbians/gays like Iran does?

Dai Alanye

Banned
Reaction score
Website
alanye.com
That doesn't mean that I'm against freedom of expression. It simply means that religious intolerance should not be tolerated by either side.

Your logic is less that superb. Here's a similar example from the '60s. "Join the Peace Corps or I'll kill you."