• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Publisher] Baen Books

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
Any info on current wait times? I'm anticipating a year +

You're probably not too far off, although I can't quite remember what my three sub's times were, but I know it was over 9 months, and that was when I was agentless. My agent slipped in there and got much faster results, primarily because agent-subs get a faster read.

tri

az shea

Copy editor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
aszanoni.blogspot.com
Tangents...

Erm, have you actually checked out Baen covers? They're notoriously mock-worthy in many circles and it has nothing to do with the medium.

Yep. If you make it to a Barfly party, it is traditional to mock the covers. Cover flats are spread all over, to make sure you get the full effect.

They're terrible covers. I was told Jim Baen wanted them done as they are, although I'm not sure "terrible" is how he saw them. Perhaps he was going for pulp?

I haven't been on Baen's Bar in a long while, but the Barfly parties have nice people. 8)

In fact I think I will read one of their books when I'm finished with "The Edge of the World."

So did you read a Baen book yet? I love Lois Bujold's Vorkosigan series.

My dad loves a lot of the Baen military sf. David Drake's one of his favorites. I'd recommend David too, his fantasy short fiction is good.

fdesrochers

Registered
Reaction score
I just received the message from Gray Rinehart informing me my fantasy novel was selected out of the slush pile for further consideration. To be honest, it's been so long since I submitted, I can't find the reference in my submission ledger.

I am more than happy to wait a little longer..... :fistpump

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
I just received the message from Gray Rinehart informing me my fantasy novel was selected out of the slush pile for further consideration. To be honest, it's been so long since I submitted, I can't find the reference in my submission ledger.

Baen Books is notorious for very long response times. I forgot about mine too.

But congrats on getting picked up for further evaluation! They usually don't send teasers like that unless they are preparing, (via board decision) to offer and kick it into print.

tri

http://absolutewrite.com//www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/

Last edited:

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
I'm curious: what was the response time?

At a SFF convention years ago, I heard a story (sworn not to be apocryphal, but you know tipsy writers) that someone sold unagented to DAW and had the galleys in hand when Baen came back with a full request. It had been so long the author had assumed disinterest, and moved on.

Amadan

Banned
Reaction score
I'm curious: what was the response time?

At a SFF convention years ago, I heard a story (sworn not to be apocryphal, but you know tipsy writers) that someone sold unagented to DAW and had the galleys in hand when Baen came back with a full request. It had been so long the author had assumed disinterest, and moved on.

I just got a "You have been selected from the slush pile for further consideration" letter also.

I submitted the MS about 6 months ago, so I guess their response time is getting better!

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
Cool! The individual who shared that story with me swore that it was three and a half years. But this was years ago. Glad to hear they're moving faster through slush. I have a deep, corny fondness for many Baen books. If I wrote in their genres I might nudge the agent in their direction...but I'm not exactly Baen material.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
6 month rejection with a note that it was better written than most of their submissions.

Thick Skin

I write therefore I am.
Registered
Reaction score

Hi there fderochers. Did you end up signing with Baen? I got this same letter last week and am wondering what I'm in for.

How about you triceretops? Did you sign with Baen, either before or after you were agented?

And Waylander: Did you receive this letter or one like it from Baen?

Thanks everyone. Trying not to obsess, but come on, I'm human.

Last edited:

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
My reply from Gray Rinehart said "Thank you for your patience as we considered your novel. While better written than much of what we receive, unfortunately we will not be able to find a place for it in our lineup.".

This novel is now due out next month from Tickety Boo Press (UK)

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
How about you triceretops? Did you sign with Baen, either before or after you were agented?

No, I didn't get in the lineup. I got a nice letter commenting on premise, style and pace. But wasn't quite the fit they were looking for. Agent will (this time) send them my trilogy. But gawd, they are soooooooo slow.

Thick Skin

I write therefore I am.
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks to you both for writing back. I get the feeling I've been moved from the colossal slush pile to the big slush pile. But there's still a lot of reading they have to do.

On the positive side, it sounds like they actually read our submissions once we get this far. I just hope that this time, mine IS what they're looking for.

Amadan

Banned
Reaction score
Well, it's been over a year and I'm still waiting. No news is good news, I guess.

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
I guess. That's still a ridiculous wait. ETA: especially for something selected 'for further consideration'. At over a year since initial submission, I'd be wondering if they just did that to keep you locked out of subbing elsewhere. It's out of the first pile. Might be time for a polite nudge.

Last edited:

Thick Skin

I write therefore I am.
Registered
Reaction score
Well, it's been over a year and I'm still waiting. No news is good news, I guess.

Amadan -- Did you get the letter from Gray Rinehart saying you'd been selected out of the slush pile for further consideration?

And then, that you have been waiting ANOTHER year?

Or do you mean you submitted a year ago and have heard NOTHING?

I don't know what to do. I'd hoped things might move a little faster once I got out of the super colossal slush pile and into the merely big pile.

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
Amadan -- Did you get the letter from Gray Rinehart saying you'd been selected out of the slush pile for further consideration?

And then, that you have been waiting ANOTHER year?

Or do you mean you submitted a year ago and have heard NOTHING?

I don't know what to do. I'd hoped things might move a little faster once I got out of the super colossal slush pile and into the merely big pile.

Sometimes things do move faster, but this is a slow business. I'm pretty sure I saw a fellow a few years ago in the DAW thread who mentioned he'd been working on a submission/rewrite with one of their staff for close to five years. (And this was not even a book that had been signed, it was just under consideration.)

I also know someone who had subbed to Baen on an invitation and it was close to a year before he heard back (a rejection with detailed feedback).

Seriously, the best advice for being on submission is to work on another book while you wait.

Aggy, three novels on submission right now

Amadan

Banned
Reaction score
FWIW, I did nudge Gray Rinehart, and he responded fairly quickly. Apparently the queue ahead of me is down to only two dozen manuscripts.

Whether that's down from 500 or down from four dozen, I have no idea. But yes, I am working on other things.

Thick Skin

I write therefore I am.
Registered
Reaction score
FWIW, I did nudge Gray Rinehart, and he responded fairly quickly. Apparently the queue ahead of me is down to only two dozen manuscripts.

Whether that's down from 500 or down from four dozen, I have no idea. But yes, I am working on other things.

Good luck to you and thanks so much for responding. It takes a long time to publish a novel. Longer even than to write it! Is your book SciFi or Fantasy?

I just finished a short story set in my fictional universe and will be sending that off next week.

Please write back when you hear back from Baen. I will too. And I have my fingers crossed for both of us.

Adelle

Registered
Reaction score
Did anyone ever submit to them via an agent? Been on sub with them three months, no response as of yet. I submitted to them once before and think I got a rejection almost a year later. So I know 9-12 months is pretty standard with them. But just wondering if it's faster with them when it's with an agent and what the turnaround time is.

My agent submitted to them on my behalf and it took them 6 months to respond (with a form rejection). I don't think they prioritize agented submissions, unfortunately.

Adelle

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply! I thought that might be the case. :/

No problem!

And good luck! I admire and adore Baen. I was super disheartened when I got their rejection, but I do appreciate that they take the time to examine every submission--and they do so equally, whether an individual has an agent or not. I hear nothing but great things about them, and if you get published, I'm sure you'll love being with them. :3

lenaf007

Registered
Reaction score
I'm creeping up to the 1-year mark with Baen. When I spoke to one of their representatives at DragonCon last year, they recommended subbing in print to maybe get a faster response. I don't think that's helped much. :)

Here's hoping I hear something good from them! They seem like a great group to work with.

TWErvin2

Raises Turtles in his Basement
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ervin-author.com
I'm creeping up to the 1-year mark with Baen. When I spoke to one of their representatives at DragonCon last year, they recommended subbing in print to maybe get a faster response. I don't think that's helped much. :)

Here's hoping I hear something good from them! They seem like a great group to work with.

It may take more than a year to make it out of the slush pile to be passed up and giving consideration. That wait, in my experience, wait (time span) can be even longer for a decision.

Good luck and hope you meet with success in the end.