PublishAmerica and Reaganville

newmillguitar

Registered
Reaction score
Here's hoping you win your lawsuit. May you become the new owner of their fire InkJet printers.

Gods, don't you hate em'?

NewMill -what sort of music do you write? I'm always looking for someone to do duets with.

Hybrid classical music. What instrument do you perform with?

newmillguitar

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, newmillguitar and welcome back to AW.

She's an NY-based agent who used to run a blog that gave advice on the publishing industry, how agents worked and what they did and she also used to give fantastic critiques of query letters sent in by those brave enough to take her snark. She was very 'no holds barred' and since she decided to hang up her keyboard, she is missed by a lot of people.

Her blog is still available for perusal here and I think it's well worth the time taking a look through it.

MM

I think I did run into her blog once or twice.
One thing got my goat on this blog; someone accusing me of hawking my book here. So, I am prostituting my daughter? I already did with PA and I am fighting to get her back. They must know how impassioned and defensive a mother can get, and in this I am more of a mother than a father because it is like a biological imperative to get my book back. How dare a publishing company lie and scandalize an author. Scandalize is simply guilt by association.
I'll admit, I am expletive and passioned talking about any of my creative work. It appeals mostly to women; men I think, when another man gets this way another man may actually think it is dishonest or something?
I am a man, but maybe a throwback romantic in my behavior and men are just fodder for the American grist mill, stripped of their emotional exposition and sharpened for piercing. The guy accusing me of hawking is a "business" writer. What the hell is that anyway? Journalism? That's okay, I do that but in, once again, an impassioned way about the arts, mostly music. Reaganville is impassioned social commentary.

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
newmillguitar - I can understand your reaction, you weren't here simply to hawk your work and so were offended when accused of it. But you must see it from our perspective. This forum is for writers. For that reason a lot of spam artists (be they a company, or an individual author) come here, post a few posts and then suddenly they are telling us to buy their book. Then they vanish and never come back again. It's what's sometimes called a drive by spaming. Basically they aren't interested in participating in this community, only using it to sell their work. It shows a great disrespect to everyone here. And it happens all the time.

So when someone comes in, and appears to do the same thing, that is the conclusion drawn. Now you had things you had to do with your life, you didn't have time to post here, and when you came back you found people thinking you were trying to "prostitute your daughter" as it were. So I understand your visceral response. But surely then, you can appreciate our visceral response. We don't like feeling used any more than you like being attack of using.

It was a misunderstanding. But don't start mud slinging and insulting LloydBrown who truly believed you were behaving like those other spam artists (by questioning his job and abilities as you did in the last post). He had no evidence to the contrary until your return yesterday.

And please don't insult the people who do post here often (you talked of having a life outside the internet implying we didn't). It's a common misconception, which I suppose could be drawn because some find posting here time consuming. Others like myself just keep popping in over the course of the day, while also writing, editing, going over proofs, doing readings, exercising, seeing friends and family, going to the countryside, going for auditions and performing in shows, etc. Posting at AW does not take a big chunk out of my day at all. Oddly some of the most prolific posters here are some of the individuals dealing with very active lives.

Anyway, I hope that explains the response, and possibly now that you came back we can let bygones be bygones and start afresh.

Oh and welcome to AW btw!

Last edited: