Ever just doubt yourself?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dreamsofnever

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kellyguentner.com
As everyone else has weighed in, it's perfectly normal to doubt yourself. My husband is sick of reminding me that yes, I can write and I will be published someday. (he's probably also sick of me thinking he's just telling me that because he loves me.)

Seriously though, as everyone else said so much more eloquently, doubt is okay as long as you allow it to encourage you to work harder instead of allowing it to shut you down entirely. It has the potential to go either way and only you can make the decision as to where you let it take you.

That said, 8 agents who want to read your manuscript (and from your sig, three of them have moved onto requesting your full) is an EXCELLENT accomplishment. Try to banish the doubt and celebrate the fact that you have a story idea great enough to warrant this kind of attention, and that your partials to the three agent were great enough to make them want more. That's a milestone in itself.

In the meantime, focus on what you want to write next and start working on it. Then you have forward motion and something to keep you busy while you play the waiting game.

KikiteNeko

Registered
Reaction score
dreamsofnever-

Thanks for the encouragement. Six agents requested partials, three requested fulls.. One of the partials turned into a no so far.

Cav Guy

Living in the backstory
Registered
Reaction score
I doubt myself on a regular basis, but it hasn't driven me to quit yet. There's this fair-sized corner of myself that just won't let me quit. Do I send out near as much as I should? No. Does that bother me? Sometimes.

sandyn

AW Aficionado
Registered
Reaction score
I've had an MS out to a beta for months. Haven't heard a peep. Must REALLY be bad...

Yes, certainly do doubt myself...

HourglassMemory

Registered
Reaction score
I often look at what I've written and ....it never looks like ' a book' you know?
It's strange being on this side of the experience of books. Writing it.
sur eI do doubt myself. It isn't surprising since I chose an epic as my first ever story longer than two pages....and bsed it on something tha tI ahevn't seen anywhere and I can't base myself on previously existing stories.
Yes, I do feel like I can't do it many times.
But I keep doing it, because it's fun for me.

steveg144

Crusty Polemicist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
CrustyPolemicist.blogspot.com
I save my self-doubts for my work life, oddly enough. I've been making an absurdly good living as a software developer for almost a quarter of a century. I get paid well, I'm respected, my peers seek me out for advice. But I always feel like I suck,and that eventually they're all going to realize that I'm just a fraud and I've been "getting over" for 25 years. It's a psychological "quirk," I know.

But self-doubts about my writing? Never. Considering my, hemm, "spotty" success as a writer, a bit of self-doubt might be in order. But I had a major bout of self-doubt back in college (I'm 53 now) and I stopped writing for almost thirty years because of it. No more self-doubt for me. I won't allow it.

HeronW

Down Under Fan
Registered
Reaction score
Kept sending it out, get beta readers for the query ltr--might need changes, start the second book, love your characters and give up book 1 after 200 rejections, maybe...

ishtar'sgate

living in the past
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.linneaheinrichs.com
And now I have 8 agents reading it (after 1 said thanks but no thanks) and I just feel like... there's no way in hell anyone will want to publish it.

Is this irrational? Is this normal?
It's called self preservation. If you tell yourself no one will want it you THINK you won't be as let down by rejection. It's normal.
Linnea

Status
Not open for further replies.