The AW Amazon Store
Buy books by AWers

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: [Organization] Romance Writers of Australia

[Organization] Romance Writers of Australia

This sounds weird to me.

I've been contacted by someone claiming to work for the Romance Writers of Australia (website at http://www.romanceaustralia.com/).

Out of the blue (I never contacted nor heard of them before) they want to publish a portion of my website in their newsletter.

I'm not a romance author, and I don't really understand this.

What is this?

It just doesn't seem normal to me.

volitare nequeo AW Moderator veinglory's Avatar
    Doesn't seem that odd to me. I write a small column for the Romance Writers of New Zealand newsletter. If I found a good, useful post online I might ask if I could reprint it. What was it about, writing, publishing?
    Emily Veinglory

Quote Originally Posted by veinglory View Post
    Doesn't seem that odd to me. I write a small column for the Romance Writers of New Zealand newsletter. If I found a good, useful post online I might ask if I could reprint it. What was it about, writing, publishing?
    It was about how I chose my pen name. But it didn't seem very good to me. In fact, I had been planning on chucking most of it and rewriting it from scratch, I just never got around to it.

Quote Originally Posted by jamiehall View Post
    It was about how I chose my pen name. But it didn't seem very good to me. In fact, I had been planning on chucking most of it and rewriting it from scratch, I just never got around to it.
    They were probably Googling for existing articles on the topic and liked yours. Maybe this is an impetus to rewrite it?

It's a legit organization.

Around and About SuperModerator Birol's Avatar
    Where I hang my hat... when I can find my hat.
    Let me get this straight, your problem with this organization is that they liked something you wrote and asked your permission to reprint it?

What a desolation. Alexandra Little's Avatar
    Los Angeles, but my heart belongs to London
    Quote Originally Posted by Birol View Post
    Let me get this straight, your problem with this organization is that they liked something you wrote and asked your permission to reprint it?
    It wasn't that she had a problem with it, it seems more that she was contacted by an group she hadn't heard of for a genre she doesn't write in. I would be suspicious too at first.

Winter's Crown - a YA fantasy novel now available for purchase - Kindle US - Kindle UK - Kindle Canada

The Obligatory Website.

The Obligatory Twitter.

Around and About SuperModerator Birol's Avatar
    Where I hang my hat... when I can find my hat.
    There are more organizations and publications out there that a writer hasn't heard of than ones a writer does know. The ones to be concerned about are not the ones that send a polite request asking permission to reprint an article. The ones to be concerned about are the ones who take the article and republish it without permission.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexandra Little View Post
    It wasn't that she had a problem with it, it seems more that she was contacted by an group she hadn't heard of for a genre she doesn't write in. I would be suspicious too at first.
    Yeah. I expect to submit something and get rejected, I don't expect to submit nothing and get accepted. I thought it was best to check, just in case.

Quote Originally Posted by Birol View Post
    There are more organizations and publications out there that a writer hasn't heard of than ones a writer does know. The ones to be concerned about are not the ones that send a polite request asking permission to reprint an article. The ones to be concerned about are the ones who take the article and republish it without permission.
    Agreed.

figuring it all out
    It is definitely a legit organization. A fellow chapter member of mine (we're a chapter of Romance Writers of America) is Australian and is also a member of the Australian group -- and their newsletter does apparently go searching for things they think might be of interest, even if it's not necessarily in the same genre.