Would like some books on improving your writing...

Status
Not open for further replies.

James81

Great Scott Member
Registered
Reaction score
I tend to be a sloppy writer. Posting a lot on different message boards without worrying about punctuation, grammar, or spelling has really spoiled me.

I also find that I lack motivation to finish the projects I start. Unless it's a short story or a vignette piece or a blog entry, I can't bring myself together to finish a full length novel of any form.

Anyways, I'd like to read some books on improving my writing and finding ways to keep on task to finish what I start.

Any suggestions?

Sophia

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Hi James,

There have been a few threads recently about writing books, which you can use the Search Forums link in the blue bar above to pull up.

Although writing books can be very useful (and there are several I use almost constantly) I'd like to suggest that instead of turning to books straight away, you look at the Writing Exercises, Prompts and Games board here. Read the stickied threads at the top of that board, and take a look at some of the threads. I'm suggesting this because books can be another way to procrastinate on your writing. I'm not saying that I think you will treat them that way, just that it can happen. If on the other hand, you actively take part in threads, you will get into the habit of writing regularly, and will have other writers around you doing the same, which can be a good motivator to keep at it. Definitely get the books if you want them - just try waiting a month, perhaps, until you've established a routine of writing for yourself?

Whatever you choose, best of luck, and welcome to the boards!

geardrops

Good thing I like my day job
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.geardrops.net
I tend to be a sloppy writer. Posting a lot on different message boards without worrying about punctuation, grammar, or spelling has really spoiled me.

Then force yourself to have perfect grammar in all means of communication. Proper writing is a habit.

I also find that I lack motivation to finish the projects I start. Unless it's a short story or a vignette piece or a blog entry, I can't bring myself together to finish a full length novel of any form.

Writing is work, and anyone who tells you otherwise is supremely gifted or unpublished and unfinished. Put your butt in the chair and write.

(Also maybe you're just not a novel writer. But you have to finish one first to be able to really say it.)

Anyways, I'd like to read some books on improving my writing and finding ways to keep on task to finish what I start.

Any suggestions?

What ElaraSophia said.

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
This book might aid you in getting your thoughts in order....

Characters & Viewpoint
By Orson Scott Card
Writer's Digest Books

(How to invent, construct, and animate vivid, credible characters and choose the best eyes through which to view the events of your short story or novel)

I 'won' it in a bid auction here on the AW and love it. I read different parts each day...many times over. Gives lots of food for thought.

giusti

Registered
Reaction score
This book might aid you in getting your thoughts in order....

Characters & Viewpoint
By Orson Scott Card
Writer's Digest Books

Agreed. He also wrote a really good book on Science Fiction and Fantasy. Though, as you may find out, (and Stephen King also says this in his book, On Writing) that most books on writing actually tell you next to nothing. They may be an interesting read, no doubt, but don't put too much faith in them. However, here are two books that you cannot fail with.

The Hero With a Thousand Faces
-Joseph Campbell

In this one, the reading's a little dense, so if you can't handle that sort of thing, this might not be the book for you. But definitely get a summary. Campbell explicates the process that has been used for all of writing, ever. He outlines the Hero's journey, using a number of steps, and examples from mythology. Definitely a good one. George Lucas admits to stealing his entire plot design from Campbell.

The Elements of Style
-William Strunk and E. B. White

While very, very small, this is not a book you would read all at once. Perhaps scan it first, and then refer to it whenever you're uncertain. It's all about sentence structure, proper use of grammar, and all-around good writing.

Hope this helps,

-giusti

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
For inspiration and motivation, my standard reference is Anne Lamott's Bird by Bird. Plus it's funny as hell.

There are tons of good books on craft. Orson Scott Card is good at explaining basic concepts, as is Nancy Kress. Go to one of the major bookstores and hang out in the Writing section for a while, skimming through the offerings until you find a craft/technique book in a style that suits you.

Status
Not open for further replies.