Weird Agent Feedback

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gina M

A Law-Abiding Chicken
Registered
Reaction score
I received a partial request from an agent asking for the first 50 pages, a bio, and a chapter outline. I submitted by email and was told I would receive feedback within two weeks.

Within 10 days I then got a request for a full to be snail mailed. I sent that out on Friday by express mail and sent a confirmation to the agent saying it would be there within 7 business days ( submitting to a different country).

This morning I just got a rejection saying the story was well told and interesting, but it would be hard for the agent to sell in today's market.
I'm a little confused as the agent does not have my full yet. It was only sent 2 business days ago.

I'm not sure if the agent was turned off by the small delay in mail time due to shipping or what?

I have two other partials out with other agents so I'm not devastated, I just find it really weird at the quick change in interest.

Gina

LianeW

Registered
Reaction score
It sounds to me like that may be a mistake. Unless the rejection letter is specific in referencing your name and/or the title of the manuscript, or something else that makes it clear that your story is the one meant, I'd touch base with the agent and see whether you received someone else's response in error.

Appalachian Writer

Somewhere in the hills....
Registered
Reaction score
I think Liane is right. How could they judge a manuscript that they haven't read? The hope is that the first contact wasn't the mistake and that you didn't pay for postage because of a glitch in their system.

donut

fame-seeking floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
telepathicparanoia.com
There may also have been a difference of opinion between an agent and an assistant or something... in which case whoever asked for the full definitely trumps. By all means, ask for clarification. It can't hurt.

Gina M

A Law-Abiding Chicken
Registered
Reaction score
I sent an email last night and this was part of the reply I received.
Whew, sigh of relief.
I guess we're all human.

I owe you a profound apology, and I am deeply sorry and terribly embarrassed.
The rejection letter you got from me yesterday that has your name on it and the name of your novel should not have been sent to you, because it was not for you. Some absurdities creep into my work sometimes, and that’s really sad when it hurts someone else, you in this case.

cate townsend

Registered
Reaction score
Gina,

So glad you got some good advice here and followed up. Just think if you'd just let that one go? Of course, the agent probably would have contacted you later after reading the full, but now you can breathe a little easier. Hope you get a positive response!

maddythemad

Registered
Reaction score
So glad it worked out okay!

Good luck on that full. :)

Gina M

A Law-Abiding Chicken
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Everyone. I was really glad I followed it up. At one point, probably at three in the morning, I thought maybe it was a test. Maybe the agent was seeing how I respond to negative feedback and whether I have perseverance or not. I then decided I was delusional from sleep depravation and I was overthinking this way too much.

Gina

Inky

Eat, Sleep, Write...
Registered
Reaction score
Wouldn't this be something if you were to be offered a contract by this agent, go on to become a big-time author, you and the agent laughing over this madness/misunderstanding, and the catastrophe it nearly caused?
Some of the most profound, long-lasting relationships have begun by way of mishaps. Thank Zeus that you didn't chicken out from making contact!!

Status
Not open for further replies.