AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast

Thread: Austin Macauley Publishers, Ltd. (formerly Austin & Macauley)

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    Thanks for this excellent thread - these people popped up in my Facebook feed and my suspicions were tingled more than somewhat, and thanks to the wonders of Google I soon found the information I was after.

Curiously, a minute or two later I was no longer able to post to that Facebook discussion. I wonder why?

practical experience, FTW Treehouseman's Avatar
    Sadly a member of a writing group I'm associated with has recently "signed a contract" with this lot. When it was pointed out that AM are vanity publishers and a very expensive variation of the partnership publisher model, he was incredibly defensive, citing AM as "one of the top publishing companies in the world" and that "You can't trust what the internet says."

Unfortunately the maxim: *A fool and his money are easily parted* applies here.

Yes, people did post a link to this thread to warn him. If we couldn't save him, at the very least anyone else in the group who might have considered AM as legitimate publisher will take a closer look.
    Writin' Urban Explorin' and other stuff.

practical experience, FTW
    Quote Originally Posted by Treehouseman View Post
    Sadly a member of a writing group I'm associated with has recently "signed a contract" with this lot. When it was pointed out that AM are vanity publishers and a very expensive variation of the partnership publisher model, he was incredibly defensive, citing AM as "one of the top publishing companies in the world" and that "You can't trust what the internet says."

Unfortunately the maxim: *A fool and his money are easily parted* applies here.

Yes, people did post a link to this thread to warn him. If we couldn't save him, at the very least anyone else in the group who might have considered AM as legitimate publisher will take a closer look.

let's just hope he doesn't come here and blame us for "not telling him" when he shells out loads of money to this company.

Very glad I found this thread before signing a contract they sent me last week! Thanks all! :-) Will know not to waste my money!

practical experience, FTW

Austen Macauley Pulbishers? [merged with BR&BC thread]

This company's name just appeared on my Facebook page.

They say they accept submissions from unagented writers.

Is it a legitimate company?

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    In a word, no. Hold on a sec while I merge this with their thread in BR&BC ...

ETA: And, done. For future reference, this is the forum to ask about specific publishers, agents, etc. Be sure to check the Index for existing threads before starting a new one.
    Last edited by CaoPaux; 06-06-2017 at 08:43 PM.
    ICAO
    ---------

Censorship always defeats its own purpose, for it creates in the end the kind of society that is incapable of exercising real discretion. -- Henry Steele Commager
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

Writer Beware's Faithful Igor Richard White's Avatar
    And apparently Austen MacCauley has decided to align itself with the Write Agenda to take on Writer Beware and SFWA. I'll post the links when I get home this evening, unless someone can grab them from the Writer Beware twitter feed.

Quote Originally Posted by Hublocker View Post
    Is it a legitimate company?
    It's a vanity press to be scrupulously avoided.

The Blue Line, short story published in Oakwood 2017
    Read it free!

Princess of Pirates: How I Ran Away to Sea: A Memoir,
    represented by Olswanger Literary

Twitter

Instagram

Such a nasty woman SuperModerator Old Hack's Avatar
    austinmacauley.com/news/truth-behind-lies-%E2%80%93-sfwa Here's the blog post Richard mentioned , from AM. What a lot of nonsense.
    Last edited by AW Admin; 06-06-2017 at 11:44 PM. Reason: No reason to give them referral juice

Tending bar by the litterbox. Thomas Vail's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Hack View Post
    austinmacauley.com/news/truth-behind-lies-%E2%80%93-sfwa , from AM. What a lot of nonsense.
    Oh my stars and garters! I just may catch the vapours!
    Last edited by AW Admin; 06-06-2017 at 11:44 PM. Reason: No reason to give them referral juice

At this point I get snotty and invoke Filigree's Rule. Anyone signing with these guys deserves what they get.

This M/M space opera
    Blog: Blue Night
    Art and jewelry online at Etsy.

Wow, what load of crap! While I can believe they would be this low, I am shocked they would put it ON their own site! I feel so bad for Victoria, she does nothing but help so many new writers not fall prey to vanity presses, yet is always singled out by them with their smear campaigns!

Looking at Austin Macauley's Blog page, not only have they been having a go at Victoria Strauss and Writer Beware as a whole, they've also done the same with Harry Bingham from Writer's Workshop for voicing his opinions and speaking the truth. Instead of AM running people down just for speaking their mind, why aren't they boasting about how many of their writer's books have been made into films, TV series', or even how much they have made back in royalties and merchandise? Not only that I've read their Facebook page and there are some very scathing and angry comments not just from writers who have paid exorbitant fees, but from people who have ordered books from AM and not received them.

Write. Write. Writey Write Write. mrsmig's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Selkiegirl View Post
    Looking at Austin Macauley's Blog page, not only have they been having a go at Victoria Strauss and Writer Beware as a whole, they've also done the same with Harry Bingham from Writer's Workshop for voicing his opinions and speaking the truth. Instead of AM running people down just for speaking their mind, why aren't they boasting about how many of their writer's books have been made into films, TV series', or even how much they have made back in royalties and merchandise? Not only that I've read their Facebook page and there are some very scathing and angry comments not just from writers who have paid exorbitant fees, but from people who have ordered books from AM and not received them.
    Because the best defense is a spirited offense. Attack and deflect and point the finger elsewhere, instead of acknowledging your shortcomings and correcting your errors.
    KINGLET: Now available from Fiery Seas Publishing: Amazon Barnes & Noble iBooks Kobo
    FISKUR: Releasing November 2017 from Fiery Seas

My Website:
    www.donnamigliaccio.com

And the occasional Tweet.

Quote Originally Posted by Selkiegirl View Post
    They're lashing out at the people and sites who are threatening their gravy train of innocent authors. Should a newbie writer be looking around online and find all the warnings against AM... That cuts off their $ supply. So of course they need to discredit the very people who are urging their cash cows to go elsewhere.

Angry Publisher reluctant to Communicate

I'm not sure if I have fallen prey to a Vanity Publisher or just a very bad publisher.
    I selected a high profile publisher in central London, I have paid 3300 British Pounds towards publishing costs ( first lesson learned).
    To begin with the process publishing the small childrens book progressed well, but for a number of months, its been virtually impossible to get a response from them.
    What drafts have been sent back to me for checking have been full of errors in layout and style.
    I have sent many e.mails and even phoned the Editor in Chief, but still cant get any commitment from them.
    Its now approaching the anniversary of signing the contract for a very small book and I feel that I should attempt to get my money back and approach an alternative Publisher.
    If I take this direction , I suspect I will be unsuccessful and searches on the internet about this Publisher suggests its not an uncommon issue
    Is there a watchdog or association in UK that oversees the performance and behaviour of Publishers, or will I be forced to go legal.(more cost)
    If its a common behaviour , they are making a lot of money out of unsuspecting " newbie" authors as they are very high profile and have recently expanded to USA.
    Any Advice ?

I'm sorry to hear that. If you paid to be published, they likely are a vanity publisher - usually money flows to the writer.

Have you done a search for them in this thread? There might be specific advice if they're listed here.

but appreciated anyway... Unimportant's Avatar
    It sounds like you have fallen prey to a very bad vanity publisher. It's likely you won't get much joy out of them since they've already got your money.

You can search for your publisher by name here to see if there's already a thread detailing other AW members' experiences with them.

If they have breached the contract, you can take them to court, but it will cost money and may not be successful. If they are not in breach of contract, you probably have no recourse at all. Publisher-and-author contracts are seen as business agreements and there will not be any association that will police them or stop them from being predatory.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony85 View Post
    I'm not sure if I have fallen prey to a Vanity Publisher or just a very bad publisher.
    I selected a high profile publisher in central London, I have paid 3300 British Pounds towards publishing costs ( first lesson learned).
    To begin with the process publishing the small childrens book progressed well, but for a number of months, its been virtually impossible to get a response from them.
    What drafts have been sent back to me for checking have been full of errors in layout and style.
    I have sent many e.mails and even phoned the Editor in Chief, but still cant get any commitment from them.
    Its now approaching the anniversary of signing the contract for a very small book and I feel that I should attempt to get my money back and approach an alternative Publisher.
    If I take this direction , I suspect I will be unsuccessful and searches on the internet about this Publisher suggests its not an uncommon issue
    Is there a watchdog or association in UK that oversees the performance and behaviour of Publishers, or will I be forced to go legal.(more cost)
    If its a common behaviour , they are making a lot of money out of unsuspecting " newbie" authors as they are very high profile and have recently expanded to USA.
    Any Advice ?
    Paying for publication = vanity publishing. No reputable trade publisher will ask you for money.

Wilde about Oscar aliceshortcake's Avatar
    I have a sneaking feeling that this publisher's address in central London is nothing more than a virtual office...

No, you're the grease monkey. Fruitbat's Avatar
    I don't know about watchdog organizations in the UK but I think you should consult an attorney and see what they say. A consultation is not expensive and, here in the US anyway, often free. They will be able to explain your options in your specific situation. Sometimes a letter from an attorney or them getting the idea you're about to make a bunch of noise to the right people can make a shady business give a quick refund, ya never know. Good luck.
    Last edited by Fruitbat; 07-03-2017 at 03:40 PM.
    Story Prompts That Work: 52 Detailed, Tested Story Starters for Short Stories and Flash Fiction (for Adults and Teens)
    https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...mpts+that+work

Writing Flash Fiction: How to Write Very Short Stories and Get Them Published
    http://www.amazon.com/Writing-Flash-...0670797&sr=1-1

Coffee House Lies: 100 Cups of Flash Fiction:
    http://www.amazon.com/Coffee-House-L...fee+house+lies

Blog: http://carlyberg.com/

Tony85, if there isn't already a thread about your publisher would you mind telling us who they are?

Is this the Press?
    http://absolutewrite.com/forums/show...-amp-Macauley)

What Helix said, when you pay for Publishing, it's a Vanity Publisher.

practical experience, FTW Treehouseman's Avatar
    Sounds like good old Aust1n Maca*uley. Up to their usual shenanigans!

Sorry I can't be of any more help. I tried to save a guy on a writer's forum from making the same mistake recently but was told about their CENTRAL LONDON LOCATION !!! (which I've been to by the way, it's a letterbox in a shyster part of town).
    Writin' Urban Explorin' and other stuff.

If we are indeed talking about Austin Macauley, since December last year their address has been Cgc 33-01, 25 Canada Square, London E14 5LQ.

Aha! I emailed the Canary Wharf Group, the owners of 25 Canada Square, who said of AM:

They are not a direct tenant with us, but from that address it looks likely that they are possibly a sub-tenant of Regus, the service office provider.
    I have contacted Regus to ask if AM's office space is real or virtual.

It might be worth Tony85's while to get in touch with Cambridgeshire County Council's consumer protection department via the Citizens Advice Consumer Helpline, since AM's director Mohammed Bu-Malek lives in Cambridge.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/co...onsumer-issue/
    Last edited by aliceshortcake; 07-04-2017 at 01:41 AM. Reason: Added more info

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast