AW Amazon Affiliate Store

confused by self-publishing? Find your way to self-publishing success in just 5 easy steps with this free how-to guide!

Editing for authors: because every writer needs a good editor.

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Austin Macauley Publishers, Ltd. (formerly Austin & Macauley)

Threaded View

Write. Write. Writey Write Write. mrsmig's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by eowyn123 View Post
    July 2016 I also go an email from Austin Macauley telling me they wanted my entire manuscript. It gave me an euphoria as if I had won the jackpot. When they sent me a contract with me having to choose between 1700 and another fee, I got depressed as if a judge had given me a 20-year sentence without me having committed any crime at all. So I sent them a sort of legal email asking them to assure me they were not going to use my text. They sent me a long email back, assuring me of that and said something peculiar, is that their legal department notified other competitors writing negative things on them, namely that they are a vantage press pretending not to be one. So now, I published my books with the Internet and wonder how my water molecule will become visible in the ocean of reads. How to convince an agent or a reader to read your stuff? JK Rowling had an incredible luck that she made all that money before people found out the number of ideas she took from Anthony Horowitz's "Groosham Grange". Getting an idea seems to be, sadly, less alimentary than fructifying an idea, in literature and in science.
    Regarding the sentence I bolded above: Rule #1 at Absolute Write is "Respect Your Fellow Writer." Insinuating that Rowling plagiarized another author's work is disrespectful.

Congratulations on dodging the vanity press (not "vantage press," btw) bullet, and on publishing your books. When you say you "I published my books with the Internet," I assume you mean you self-published them via Amazon or you posted them on a website. Every writer who self-publishes their work faces the same problem: how to find a readership and make their voice heard over the clamor of other authors. The most successful find that readership before publishing, by establishing an online presence and engaging with potential readers. If you're looking for an agent for your already-published books, I'm afraid that ship has already sailed. By self-publishing, you've used your first publication rights, and few agents will be interested.
    Last edited by mrsmig; 08-31-2016 at 09:48 PM.
    KINGLET: Now available from Fiery Seas Publishing: Amazon Barnes & Noble iBooks Kobo
    FISKUR: Now available from Fiery Seas Publishing: Amazon Barnes & Noble iBooks Kobo
    STONEKING: Releasing February 20, 2018 from Fiery Seas Publishing

My Website:
    www.donnamigliaccio.com

And the occasional Tweet.