Buy books by AWers

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 26789101112

Thread: Austin Macauley Publishers, Ltd. (formerly Austin & Macauley)

practical experience, FTW LittleKiwi's Avatar
    Regus probably won't tell you whether they are an in-house client or virtual client, the whole point of their virtual product is to give the appearance that the client is onsite. Even if you turn up they'll tell you the client is too busy to come out or they're on a training day or something...

From a previous Regus employee...

Such a nasty woman SuperModerator Old Hack's Avatar
    This definitely is a vanity publisher, and is probably AM, as others have said.

I doubt you'll get your money back. I'm so sorry.

Wilde about Oscar aliceshortcake's Avatar
    No reply from Regus yet, but AM's address on the 33rd floor has to be a virtual office - they're sharing it with Elan Financial Group, Paper Rocket Ltd, Clayborne Enterprises Limited and Arrow Coated Products UK Ltd (and possibly more).
    Last edited by aliceshortcake; 07-04-2017 at 08:18 PM.

practical experience, FTW LittleKiwi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by aliceshortcake View Post
    No reply from Regus yet, but AM's address on the 33rd floor has to be a virtual office - they're sharing it with Elan Financial Group, Paper Rocket Ltd, Clayborne Enterprises Limited and Arrow Coated Products UK Ltd (and possibly more).
    Not necessarily... Regus will rent out the leftover storage cupboard-sized space as an office for dirt cheap if they need to, and I believe that location has co-working desks. Not worth speculating.

In the UK, there is no real recourse that I know of for writers who are scammed in this way. Most potential routes of action cost more money than it's worth, and it sounds like a situation where the contract (agreeing to pay the money, etc) will work in the publisher's favour rather than yours.

I'm sorry.
    Last edited by EMaree; 07-05-2017 at 03:30 PM.
    Website/Blog | Twitter | Instagram (Dog Pics!)
    New avatar by Britt. Still the same teademon.

WIP1
    GB (Scottish MG Fantasy) | WIP2 DtS (M/M British Urban Fantasy)
    Resting: Giant Robots Project

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Until communicated otherwise, will assume subject is Austen Macauley: merged into existing thread.
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

Truth Behind the Lies, by Austin Macauley Publishers:

"Writer Beware investigates the potential pitfalls to our hybrid company: Here. We give our version Here. Authors, please read both posts before signing anything with us."

Just to, y'know, cut out all the bullshit in their original article...

Author Website: Jack L. Pyke
    Reviews: Goodreads

Such a nasty woman SuperModerator Old Hack's Avatar
    Oh dear lord.

I just skimmed through the A&M post. I was at first tempted to do a line-by-line here, to show how untrue much of what it says is, but if I tried I'd be here until Christmas.

They're talking nonsense.

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    Apparently, Austin Macauley is offering a 'traditional' publishing contract worth 10,000 to the lucky winner who writes the best story. Meaning: the writer doesn't have to pay to be published, of course, it wouldn't surprise me if people make the mistake in thinking they'll receive 10,000 in prize money, unfortunately, those writers will be disappointed to see that isn't the case. In my opinion, this smacks of desperation from AM after the recent negative publicity they have been getting.
    Last edited by Selkiegirl; 08-01-2017 at 08:09 PM.

And the contest is a slick move on AM part. Just think of all the thousands of submissions that they will get that won't be the winner, but hey, as a runner up we will offer you a partnership publishing agreement, cause your work was just so good, all 2,999 of you

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    I don't post often here, but yesterday I got home from work and there was an "air mailed" envelope for me. My wife and mother were in the kitchen when I opened it, asking what it was. It was a contract from AM. For a moment, I was excited, but skeptical. I have a lawyer cousin, so I was going to have them look it over, but I didn't need to. Under the "Advances" section was a clause stating I needed to give them 2700 pounds. I had sent the query before I researched and they sent me the contract. I'm obviously not doing anything with it. Total vanity press.

Wilde about Oscar aliceshortcake's Avatar
    Splendid! One less victim for Austin Macauley!

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 26789101112