• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Austin Macauley Publishers, Ltd. (formerly Austin & Macauley)

gingerwoman

Registered
Reaction score
I did take a look at the link and must say most of the artwork for the covers look very poor and amateurish not sure if others agree with me,but they don't give the impression to go and buy the books offered, is that the tell tell sign of self publishers??
No it's a tell-tale sign that once a vanity publisher has a victim's client's money, they will insist on doing anything they bother to do for you at a rock bottom price, so it makes the maximum profit at your expensive.

(Source - Elderly relative scammed by a vanity publisher. )

Last edited:

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
I recently saw an Austin Macauley contract that did not ask for author payment, and even provided a small advance (£50). So they do occasionally offer fee-free contracts, but I'm guessing they are pretty rare.

- Victoria

Bond & King

Registered
Reaction score
Just to update things a bit, I thought readers might be interested in my experience of Austin Macauley.

Some months back I sent them a query email. Within the hour I'd heard back from them. Yes, they'd be delighted if I'd email three chapters of my crime novel. I was amazed they had got back so quickly and my naturally suspicious nature set the alarm bells ringing. I immediately replied to them telling them I'd submit when I'd finished the editing process and then got back to the task in hand.

Several months passed and I forgot about them. Then last week I got an email telling me they had not yet received a response from me. This really got me suspicious. A quick google search revealed this thread. My next step (simply to see how they'd react as by now I had no intention of submitting to them) was to tell them I would never pay anyone to publish my book. This is how they responded.

'Please note that initially, we assess every manuscript on the basis of a traditional contract. However, in some cases, if we are unable to offer this then it could mean alternative terms will be given or the work may be rejected outright.'

To me, this screams vanity publisher trying appear as a traditional trade publisher.

Comments anyone?

Last edited:

aliceshortcake

Wilde about Oscar
Registered
Reaction score
If A&M charge any writers for publication they are a vanity press. I doubt if more than a handful of people have been published for free, let alone received an advance. And what self-respecting author wants his or her name associated with those of people who can't write their way out a paper bag but could afford to have something published by A&M?

mazblondie

Registered
Reaction score
I received a snail mail contract with Austin & Macauley this morning, same MO as most have you described and a fee of £1900 to publish my book. To be fair to them, they have been very open with me, and it is only because of what I feel was my Naivety towards the publishing world that I even considered approaching them. My argument is that If I had this amount of money I would most certainly be as independent as I possibly could and use the same money to self publish myself.
Like I say though They have been nothing but business like and courteous and while some would say that is because they are vanity publishers I have dealt with many, both vanity and otherwise who have been less than professional and to be frank in some cases down right rude.
All in all I have informed them I wont be signing with them and as someone who is learning daily I hope that this will spur me on to find a full traditional publisher who will see my work with appreciative eyes and publish it with that thought in mind.

Bond & King

Registered
Reaction score
alice has it absolutely right. If any writers are charged...and who would want to be associated with the appalling stuff that comes out of such publishers?

seedydeedee

Registered
Reaction score
Contract Received

I'm in the same boat. I had an offer from them today (in a very professional-looking contract) to publish my book for £2,300. Great. I agree with various comments in this thread - if they'd been up-front about the fact that they charge to publish, I wouldn't have wasted my time or theirs.

I do love the fact that they agree to give me ten hardback copies for free. I make that £230 per book...

JulesJones

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.julesjones.com
Seen on Kickstarter this evening as I write:

" I have received a contribution based contract from Austin Macauley publishers limited, for my first novel. Which is the reason for this kickstarter. "

The guy's looking for £1900, which gives some idea of what their current charges must be.

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com
I do love the fact that they agree to give me ten hardback copies for free. I make that £230 per book...

Yeah, whenever I see this kind of "Pay $3000 and get twenty books FREE!" spiel, I always think, how wonderful that the books are FREE, because imagine how much you might have to pay for them otherwise.

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
Not the first time I've heard about a Kickstarter for vanity publishing.

Added: I found the Kickstarter. Very sad. It's almost over and he isn't even close to his goal.

- Victoria

Last edited:

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score
just wanted to add to the convo that i have been seeing ads for these guys all over the place lately - including the back of peoples friend. i wonder how much their business practice has changed over the years

Thornbird

Registered
Reaction score
Austin Macaulay Publishers - Info please

After searching the net for a traditional publisher, I came across Austin Macaulay, based at Canary Wharf in London. Can anyone provide me with further information. I don't have confidence in their web site. They don't seem to tell me if they are a helping hand for self publishing and will send me a bill later, or they will publish as a traditional publisher.

I am also aware of words like ' Based in London' You can have a PO box and work from home. So perhaps someone out there has experience of this company.

Thanks

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
Link to front page: http://www.austinmacauley.com/

It says this (and a lot more) on their About Us page:

We are always looking to take on new authors, recognised or unknown, through traditional mainstream and traditional partnership agreements.

Initially, our editors look at every new manuscript with a view to offering a traditional mainstream publishing deal. It is only when our editors have reviewed the work thoroughly that will we be able to decide which avenue would be most suitable for each individual book.

A traditional partnership agreement entails the same benefits as a mainstream agreement. However, as the writer you may be asked to cover part of the cost of publishing the book. We follow all traditional industry etiquettes with regards to the promotion and marketing of the title in addition to all other avenues involved in the process.

Thornbird

Registered
Reaction score
Yes I didn't like the bit about the author covering the cost of the book. So I won't bother. Thanks so much for your prompt reply. :)

Ludens

Mostly lurking
Registered
Reaction score
There already is a thread on Austin Macauley here (and the forum mods will probably merge these threads soon).

Alfie007

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Everyone, Lovely to be here. I'm not altogether sure whether this thread is finished with but. . .last Thursday morning, 22nd September 2015 I received a letter from Austen Macauley asking for the rest of my manuscript. I've already sent them the required cover letter, synopsis and three sample chapters but, having read through the majority of this thread I'm not at all sure I should acquiesce. Can anyone please advise?
Regards

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Everyone, Lovely to be here. I'm not altogether sure whether this thread is finished with but. . .last Thursday morning, 22nd September 2015 I received a letter from Austen Macauley asking for the rest of my manuscript. I've already sent them the required cover letter, synopsis and three sample chapters but, having read through the majority of this thread I'm not at all sure I should acquiesce. Can anyone please advise?
Regards

Alfie, reading back through this thread should give you quite a lot of information. It seems to depend on being alert to the fact that some publishers have two different operating methods.

Last edited:

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Alfie, go to your local bookshop and see if you can find Austin and Macauley books on the shelves. I strongly suspect that you will not. I also suspect that at some point in the near future, if you send them your full manuscript, they will say something along the lines of their publishing model requiring a contribution from the author. At that point you should terminate your correspondence with them.

Last edited:

fisaffie1

Registered
Reaction score
Hello SDennis I am brand-new to this site and this is my very first post. A week ago I received a contract from Austin Macauley publishers offering to publish my autobiography for the sum of £2900. For a second or two I was delighted that I was holding a publishing contract in my hand, but then rapidly became disillusioned after reading this thread and all the adverse comments about A M.
Its taken me 15 years to write my autobiography (which is in three parts) and the first of the trilogy called White Zulu is my debut as an author. I am severely disabled with multiple sclerosis and am getting worse. I particularly want to get my first book published and then crack on with the second and third, some of which are already partially written.

I have also sent submissions to 3 other publishing houses, all in South Africa. They are Penguin/random, Jonathan Ball and The Marsh Agency. These are all big, global publishing houses, and it was simply because they accepted unsolicited material in that country that I sent them my proposal. They all warned me that they would be several weeks of waiting before they got back to me, and it has been three weeks now since I sent my submissions.

I don't have the sort of money to spare, that A M is asking for, so I am going to wait and see what the others offer (if anything). I don't know if this has been of any help to you? Or indeed that I've posted to the right person in the right place. Since I am totally new to this medium. I am very happy to tell you anything you want to know about A M

fisaffie1

Registered
Reaction score
Hello Alfie, I have just sent a post to S Dennis, describing my own experience with Austin Macauley. They are very happy to publish my autobiography, but wait for it... At the cost of £2900! I had been so pleased to receive an extremely smart, glossy and professional looking contract from them until I read the contents. A M are to all intents and purposes, a vanity publishing outfit masquerading as a bone fide publishing house. All the details are in the post to S Dennis just a few minutes ago. I have to be careful what I say to you because I might have to end up using them. If I don't get any joy from the other publishers to whom have submitted my work. I use a dictaphone system instead of typing so please forgive any spelling or grammatical errors.

aliceshortcake

Wilde about Oscar
Registered
Reaction score
fisaffie1, please don't even THINK of publishing with AM. If you can't find a commercial publisher it costs virtually nothing to self-publish through CreateSpace, and although your sales would be small you would be unlikely to sell any more books if you went with AM. The only difference is that you'd be almost £3000 poorer.

The only AM book I've ever seen was unedited, poorly designed, and would never have been accepted by a real publisher. The only reason it was in my local library was that the author lived nearby and donated it for free.

Last edited:

fisaffie1

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you so much for your and most helpful reply, Alice.

The only thing that prevents me from self publishing is that the big publishing houses, with whom I still have a chance as they have had my submission for three weeks now, make it very clear that they won't touch a book that has already been self published. This reduces my chances of getting any follow up books in my trilogy published either – or does it? I am in such a quandary as what to do. But I know that the one thing I won't be doing is paying nearly £3000 for what sounds like a shoddy product.

I could write to the big publishing houses in South Africa, telling them that there is interest in my book here in the UK, and asking them roughly how much longer I need to wait before they come back to me. But I'm terrified that they might think that if I have the possibility of a contract here, then I should go through with it.

But on the other hand, they might think that since I too have interest in my book here in the UK, that means that there is a good chance that they too will be able to sell it here in this country. But I really need is a crystal ball:Shrug: Failing that, all the help and advice I can get from fellow writers or wannabe writers on this forum.

Thanks again for your advice.