AW Amazon Affiliate Store

MiblArt offers book cover design services for self-published authors and publishing companies.

Editing for authors: because every writer needs a good editor.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Austin Macauley Publishers, Ltd. (formerly Austin & Macauley)

Threaded View

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

Check out this gem just found online looking into the company.

Quote Originally Posted by doubledoc View Post
    Ah, but it's difficult to resist feeling special when you receive a letter on paper thick as cardboard with a stamp of the queen on the envelope. Some of us are more easily impressed than others
    So, it would appear an ex employee has spilt the beans about AM on a Glassdoor review.

"
    Writers Beware

Former Employee - Editorial in Witchford, England

Doesn't Recommend

Negative Outlook

I worked at Austin Macauley Publishers part-time (Less than a year)

Pros
    You can buy a tin of soup or two on the slave-wage they deem acceptable for staff to live from.

Cons
    After not even being with the employer for a matter of weeks, my employment was 'terminated' by their 'Senior Editor', a young girl who worked with the firm under a false alias, much like most of the 'large', cough small team they employed. The firm operated out of a refurbished farmers hut in a quiet village outside of rural Cambridgeshire, far from the virtual office they used in Canary Wharf. Of course, a few mistakes had been made and I wasn't suitable for the job and in hindsight, probably for the best. The young girl who interviewed me and read me my marching orders acted as many different positions in the firm, Senior Editor, Office Manager, as well as Editor-in-Chief, to the extent of signing contracts under the alias created for the last job function. If any authors are currently seeking a way to get reimbursed for the thousands of £'s through Austin Macauley, this is your trump card. The system used for establishing 'authentic authors' to join the long list of other paid for authors was a few Google Adverts, followed by accepting cold-call aspiring writers, all of which, led to a lucrative business of charing £1,500 + to publish the work. I was advised by another member of the team that it would be rare for the author to make back 1% of their money made from 'net' sales, in other words, the percentage of sales made from discounted deals with suppliers who ordered publications on demand. My advice would be to stay clear of this company at all costs.

Advice to Management
    In many cases you attract young people to companies who aren't as established as more solid workers. In order to be a reputable employer it is your duty to nurture these individuals, instead of criticising immediately on simple mistakes.

----

It would appear many of the questions in this thread have now been answered by the above and I will now definitely be staying WELL AWAY from any dealings with this company.

Source: https://www.glassdoor.co.uk/Job/Aust...bs-E994275.htm
    Last edited by CaoPaux; 03-10-2016 at 12:13 AM. Reason: reformatted