I have today received not one, but two more emails from the same individual (identical in content as far as I can see, so perhaps he's just making sure that I get the message), this time using his private hotmail address rather than the Austin and Macauley email address.

This time, he wrote:

Dear Jane,

Hi, ***** ******* (from Austin & Macualey) here.

I just want to thank you for blanking out my name from your post.

I'm glad you seem to have gotten a thrill out of the whole thing- maybe it brightened your day. I must admit I find it all mildy amusing too, but probably for different reasons.

I'm now using my own address because as far as I'm concerned, this isn't an issue for Austin and Macauley, but rather for me personally. I'm not quite sure why you want to go after the guy who answers the email and phone. I don't exactly run the company, you know. I just do my best from day to day to be as helpful as I can with queries.
At any rate, my sole concern here is that my name isn't floating about the internet when I'm not aware of it, and I thank you for your timely response.
So yes, I suppose that I am in fact just terribly shy. But we're constantly reminded that you can't be too careful these days- there are a lot of crazies out there.

All recent unpleasantness aside, I wish you a good day.
Despite his threat of legal action against me, I'm not going after this man at all, and I'm sorry that's the way he's taken my comments. For that, I apologise. My beef is with people and companies who seem to think that it's OK to misinform the innocent and the uninformed that it’s normal to pay to get published.

Now, the person who sent me the email could easily be as uninformed about how publishing works as are most of the people who fall prey to vanity presses. I’ll accept that. However, I would suggest that he reads up a little on vanity publishing. Particularly some of the real-life, personal accounts of the destruction that vanity publishing has wrought on the lives of many of the writers who have succumbed to it.

Perhaps then he might spend a little less time worrying about having his real name floating around on the internet, and a little more time worrying about how he might just be involved with stripping novice writers of their cash, their hopes and their dreams.