AW Amazon Affiliate Store

MiblArt offers book cover design services for self-published authors and publishing companies.

Editing for authors: because every writer needs a good editor.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Austin Macauley Publishers, Ltd. (formerly Austin & Macauley)

Threaded View

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    Just to update things a bit, I thought readers might be interested in my experience of Austin Macauley.

Some months back I sent them a query email. Within the hour I'd heard back from them. Yes, they'd be delighted if I'd email three chapters of my crime novel. I was amazed they had got back so quickly and my naturally suspicious nature set the alarm bells ringing. I immediately replied to them telling them I'd submit when I'd finished the editing process and then got back to the task in hand.

Several months passed and I forgot about them. Then last week I got an email telling me they had not yet received a response from me. This really got me suspicious. A quick google search revealed this thread. My next step (simply to see how they'd react as by now I had no intention of submitting to them) was to tell them I would never pay anyone to publish my book. This is how they responded.

'Please note that initially, we assess every manuscript on the basis of a traditional contract. However, in some cases, if we are unable to offer this then it could mean alternative terms will be given or the work may be rejected outright.'

To me, this screams vanity publisher trying appear as a traditional trade publisher.

Comments anyone?
    Last edited by Bond & King; 10-28-2014 at 03:17 PM.