No author bio... now what?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KikiteNeko

Registered
Reaction score
Hey guys. I just received a partial request from an agent who has also asked me to include an author bio. I'm unpublished, and the only writing "history" I have is a poetry contest I won in high school (and even that was like five years ago)... What should I do?

Siddow

I'm super! Thanks for asking
Registered
Reaction score
"Tomothecat is a precocious minx who divides her time between mass-querying agents she found on teh interwebs, and asking silly questions on her favorite writers forum."

Oh, not that? :D

I don't know what you're querying, but you could write up something that fits the tone of the novel. Where you grew up, what you've studied, etc. "Tomothecat grew up blah, blah, blah, and now spends her time blah, blah, blahing. This is her first novel."

KikiteNeko

Registered
Reaction score
You're a silly bean. :p Maybe I'll just send along a picture of my favorite lolcat, and that'll make up for it. "I haev kno bio, but I has cheesburger"

"Tomothecat is a precocious minx who divides her time between mass-querying agents she found on teh interwebs, and asking silly questions on her favorite writers forum."

Oh, not that? :D

I don't know what you're querying, but you could write up something that fits the tone of the novel. Where you grew up, what you've studied, etc. "Tomothecat grew up blah, blah, blah, and now spends her time blah, blah, blahing. This is her first novel."

KikiteNeko

Registered
Reaction score
How does this sound?

"In response to your request for an author bio, I currently hold a BA in English with concentration in Creative Writing from (such and such college). Although this is the first manuscript for which I am seeking publication, I aspire to write many more within the literary genre."

Yay/nay?

Red-Green

KoalaKoalaKoala!
Registered
Reaction score
At the publishing party, whacking the piñata
Website
www.bryngreenwood.com
Always "earned" any degree you have. Never say you received or hold it, baby. You earned it.

That aside, I would go for more factual and cut the aspirational business. The agent knows everybody aspires to success and publication. Tell the agent some factual stuff about you. What are your interests? Do you have other projects you're working on?

KikiteNeko

Registered
Reaction score
That's where I'm conflicted. I DO have a WIP in the same genre, but I wonder if it's pretentious or just irrelevant to talk about it when I'm trying to get her interested in THIS one?

Always "earned" any degree you have. Never say you received or hold it, baby. You earned it.

That aside, I would go for more factual and cut the aspirational business. The agent knows everybody aspires to success and publication. Tell the agent some factual stuff about you. What are your interests? Do you have other projects you're working on?

Siddow

Registered
Reaction score
"Tomothecat grew up wishing she could be a ninja. Instead, her parents made her attend such-and-such college, where she earned a BA in English. This is her first novel." :D

KikiteNeko

Registered
Reaction score
I wonder if now would be the opportunity to say I began to write this novel after my father died, and that's what inspired so much of the plot? I ended up cutting that out of my query.

Siddow

Registered
Reaction score
That's where I'm conflicted. I DO have a WIP in the same genre, but I wonder if it's pretentious or just irrelevant to talk about it when I'm trying to get her interested in THIS one?

They assume you're writing another one.

"Tomothecat decided early on that she wanted to be a literary icon, just like Harper Lee or Margaret Mitchell. Therefore, this will be her only novel." :D (I'll go now, let you get some real help)

talkwrite

Passion in full bloom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.linguisticworld.com
1. Go to your library and read the jacket flaps of your favorite authors
2. Remember too that time will pass between now and when the book goes into production, so take into account whatever other projects, contests or writing related activities that you have in process.
3. Write up what spurred you to write that novel and add your degree and where you grew up topped with where you reside now and what you do for a living. That is the kind of introduction that would be given to you as a public speaker.
Oh and congratulations!

KikiteNeko

Registered
Reaction score
"Tomothe cat currently resides in her home, which she never leaves. Ever. She plans to write many more manuscripts, which she will number in lieu of a title. She will never seek publication for any of these. They will be kept in a trunk until she dies, at which point a relative will find and capitalize on their unforseen talent. In other words, publish this or it will sit in a trunk."

They assume you're writing another one.

"Tomothecat decided early on that she wanted to be a literary icon, just like Harper Lee or Margaret Mitchell. Therefore, this will be her only novel." :D (I'll go now, let you get some real help)

KikiteNeko

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for your input! I'm going to include my BA, and also a statement that although this is the first manuscript for which I'm seeking publication, I plan to write more in the literary genre. I also said that I'm particularly interested in character-driven novels that offer a new perspective to everyday occurrences, and then went on to say (in two sentences) what spurred this one. Thanks everyone who commented and told me that this would be acceptable, rather than the "uh.. i is not publication yet" that came to my mind. And thanks to Siddow, for providing some interesting captions should there ever be a movie based on my life.

1. Go to your library and read the jacket flaps of your favorite authors
2. Remember too that time will pass between now and when the book goes into production, so take into account whatever other projects, contests or writing related activities that you have in process.
3. Write up what spurred you to write that novel and add your degree and where you grew up topped with where you reside now and what you do for a living. That is the kind of introduction that would be given to you as a public speaker.
Oh and congratulations!

Status
Not open for further replies.