Freddie Mercury's greatest vocal performance

Freddie's greatest vocal song

• Total voters

dmytryp

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.webpage4u.co.il
Well, the question wasn't what Queen song was the best. In this case I would pick one of the three:
1. Show must go on
2. Who wants to live forever
3. I want it all

But his greatest vocal performances are duets with Montserat Caballier, imo. Specifically Barcelona

EriRae

:P
Registered
Reaction score
So NOT a fact!

Robert Plant beats him, hands down, every time. AND Plant could cut it live. I saw Queen several times live, and Freddie dodged the high notes every time. He was probably the best PERFORMER, not the best vocalist.

Willie

You have no idea how close you came to getting a negative rep point.

Last edited:

EriRae

:P
Registered
Reaction score
Well, the question wasn't what Queen song was the best. In this case I would pick one of the three:
1. Show must go on
2. Who wants to live forever
3. I want it all

But his greatest vocal performances are duets with Montserat Caballier, imo. Specifically Barcelona

Barcelona is beautiful. He said he did his best because he wanted to impress her--he was so afraid she would think he was terrible!

Dave.C.Robinson

... with the High Command
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.daverobinsonwrites.com
While the late Warren Zevon was clearly the greatest musical genius the world will ever know, not even he could match Freddie as a vocalist.

I'd say Freddie was probably the best male vocalist of the 20th century, and while I voted, I don't think any one song really shows his true range. He was the singer.

Don Allen

Seeking a Sanctuary of Intelligence
Registered
Reaction score
Actually, I disagree that he was THE greatest.

His greatest vocal performance was on "Flash."

ETA: Did I just agree with Rob?

Boy... I love freddie... but I'm not sure I'd make him the greatest..... One of the best ranges,,, no doubt,,, In the top 10 absolutly. I know Lennon was chosen as the best rock vocalist of the century, and I'm a huge fan but I'm not convinced of that either. Think about some of the greats? Ozzie Osbourne was great in his prime, Plant has been mentioned, Stevie Wonder, (though not rock so much) but Michael Jackson, (without the boy fetish) Frampton, Jim Morrison, McCartney, why can't I think of the lead singers name from the Who, (i'm getting old) Tough to pick the BEST... but that dosen't take away from Freddie, becase he was great!!!! I guess I will always be fond of B.R. just because it went everywhere in this great melodic swing that when you heard it for the first time blew your doors off.

Dale Emery

is way off topic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
dalehartleyemery.com

I love that song, and it was one of the ones I considered. But his voice was just a bit thin compared to some of the others on the list.

I also considered "You Take My Breath Away" and "My Melancholy Blues."

In the end I chose "Somebody to Love". His voice had power throughout, at all ranges. The bridge/middle 8 is phenomenal, and the "loooooove" leading into it is just on the edge of chaos.

Though the songs and arrangements on A Day at the Races weren't as innovative as their earlier stuff, the boys really attained phenomenal control of their instruments and voices on that album, and "Somebody to Love" is a prime example.

Oh, and here's another lovely version of "In the Lap of the Gods (Revisited)"

Dale

choppersmom

---
Registered
Reaction score
Pete Townshend on Roger Daltrey:

Well, if we didn't let him sing, he'd have nothing to contribute to the group.

These two tried to kill one another several times. All in good fun, of course.

ErylRavenwell

Banned
Reaction score
In this list Bohemian Rhapsody; I know the lyric by heart. But my fav would be Living on my Own.

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yah, why do you think Roger swings that mic around? And Pete swings his guitar? I think they're both hoping for a little "Whoops! Didn't see you there, buddy!"

;-)
Hehe -- or, "This is my space, step over the line and I won't be responsible for the consequences."